All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How to manage the acacia powder?
      #186661 - 06/16/05 09:39 AM
Violette

Reged: 05/03/05

Hi. I'm pregnant and my IBS D has been pretty bad the whole time. When I take a few immodium it's under control, but then I deal with serious C for up to a week after taking it. I bought the acacia powder here and have been taking 1/2 tsp. a day for a week, with no difference in my digestion. Then, after five days of C (resulting from taking immodium) I raised my dose to 1 tsp. a day, and also started eating a few dried prunes at night. Now I am having D all morning.

How do I know if I am taking the proper amount of Acacia? Since my D and C alternate based on immodium intake, is there any real way to know how much Acacia to take? Thanks for any advice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How to manage the acacia powder? new
      #186663 - 06/16/05 10:08 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Violette. It sounds like you just did too much at once. You SHOULDN'T be eating prunes, especially if you're IBS-D, because it's a natural laxative and because it's high in insoluble fiber. I made the same mistake not too long ago--just three prunes were enough to send me into a D attack. Also, I would increase your SFS by 1/4 tsp instead of doubling it. Are you following any of the other dietary guidelines, like "Breaking the Cycle," avoiding triggers, and making sure you're also eating enough SF?

How much Immodium do you take so that it constipates you? You said a few, so does that mean you take 3 at one time? The recommended dosage is 2 caplets, but you might want to try just taking one when you have an attack along with strong peppermint or chamomile tea for the cramping. Some of us IBS-Ders have had success taking 1/2 - 2 Immodium caplets in the morning as preventative.

I hope this helps.

#186679 - 06/16/05 11:13 AM
Violette

Thanks Maria, I will try only upping to dosage to 3/4 tsp. a day, and will quit with the prunes altogether.

I am getting a good amount of SF but also do eat a good amount of non-soluble fiber as well as dairy and some fat/ caffine. I'm having a hard time because most of what I enjoy eating are things like yogurt and fruit or cheese and bread/ cheese and pasta. I know I need to get on the ball with the nutrition, but I am doing the fiber powder and hypnosis cds for now.

In terms of the immodium, I usually take one and then within an hour need one more, and then one more (3 total is my average within two hours of non-stop D) in order to get out the door. I'm sure this is why I end up so constipated, but if I only take one it doesn't seem to help in enough time for me to leave the house.

#186737 - 06/16/05 01:52 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Diet is soooo important. Until you get on top of that, you won't get on top of your symptoms.

Try taking Immodium as a daily preventative...that way you can take a lower dose per day usually. Try 1 every morning at first....if you start at a w/e you'll have 2 days before timing is crucial!

Prunes are a total no-no with your symptoms.

Fyi, you want to work up to at least 8g of SFS a day (3 1/2t???), maybe 12-15g a day. And yes, that's for an A like you. I'm A too and take 2T Acacia a day. It will only cause side effects or worsen your symptoms temporarily IF you increase the dose too much too fast...that's the only reason why you have to increase slowly, not b/c a low dose might be enough (it won't be significant at all).

#186756 - 06/16/05 02:58 PM
Violette

I feel like if I take immodium every morning I will be constipated or else I'll just build up a resistance to it.

I will take your advice with the powder amounts and am trying to get on top of the diet, but I really can't go totally without yogurt or cheese ever- there just has to be a way I can still have some...

#186766 - 06/16/05 04:53 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Violette have you tried any of the soy cheese products? I love cheese also and am very picky about substitutes. I found a sliced soy cheese that is mozzarella (sp?) flavored (WalMart). I can even use this as a melted cheese sandwich. I just can't get into the tofu yet but I keep checking for a soy or rice yogurt, can't find it at our stores. Good luck girl, hope you get some relief soon.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#186828 - 06/17/05 12:05 AM
Linz

You won't build up a resistence to Immodium...and if the dose you're taking makes you C, decrease it (you can get the active drug - Loperamide - in liquid form on rx if you need to take teeny amounts).

DIet is of course your perogative, but if you don't give your body a break to stabilise, it may never do so. What do you want more? Cheese and pain or no cheese and no pain?

#186847 - 06/17/05 05:52 AM
jacq

Reged: 06/08/05
Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Hi Violette,

I'm new to Acacia also and having problems getting D stabilised. I also resort to taking 3 or 4 loperamide just to go shopping and suffer with C for a couple of days after. I can totally relate and feel that I'm getting nowhere fast, a couple of days with normal BMs would be a dream wouldn't it!! I've also ordered the Hypno tapes by Mike and hope they help me.

I look forward to reading if you're progressing any with the Acacia and Mikes tapes, it will give me hope!

#186859 - 06/17/05 07:36 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Are you also following Heather's diet? I'm IBS-D and the acacia alone doesn't do much for me. In conjunction with Heather's diet, though, it helps a lot. Long, stressful trips with time constraints still require antispasmodics, but I manage to go shopping, to the library, etc. on just 1 Immodium. And - drumroll, please - twice last week I went out - once to a ballgame, once to the grocery store - with no drugs whatsoever. (It's the little things in life...)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Immodium new
      #186899 - 06/17/05 09:38 AM
Linz

If that much Immodium is making you C for days then it's unlikely you really need that much. HAve you tried taking it as a daily preventative? This often lets you take less per day but with better results.

I've done great with Acacia btw!

Re: Immodium new
      #186905 - 06/17/05 10:06 AM
Violette

Yes. When I have an appointment I know I'm going to have an attack (I think it's the feeling that I HAVE to be somewhere) so I take one as soon as I wake up, but then the D begins, and it keeps coming and coming (like every 10 -15 minutes for two hours until I have to go) so I wind up taking three to get myself out the door. I don't know what else to do, but thanks for your help!

#186910 - 06/17/05 10:28 AM
Linz

I think you missed the point of my suggestion....you need to take it EVERYDAY to get the best effect from a lower daily dose. Just taking it on some days doesn't work nearly as well.

Also, are you taking a SFS?

#186918 - 06/17/05 10:44 AM
Violette

Wow, every morning? I didn't understand that you were suggesting that. I'm afraid I'd never become "regular" if I did that. Also, since I'm pregnant I don't know if that's a great idea (I don't like having to take it at all, but every day seems like a lot).

Is an SFS something like Acacia? That's the only thing I take in addition to a vitamin.

Also, I'm beginning to realize from reading this board more that I need to begin to be even more strict with my diet. I have whittled it down to cutting out all the culprits except a little dairy and fat, but perhaps I need to cut those out for now until I have really reached a "normal" and functional state of living. Maybe then I can have some in moderation. But they're opening a Cold Stone Creamery a block away!!!!

#186926 - 06/17/05 10:57 AM
Linz

Yeah you'd have to talk to your doc about the safety issue with Immodium and pg...but I guess you did that anyway. Normally it's perfectly safe to take long term...and is VERY effective this way. I thought you were getting D attacks?

Acacia is a SFS. What dose are you on?

Yeah, you need to be really strict to stabilise. Think of those favourite things as a treat you can reward yourself with (occasionally and safely of course) AFTER you've stabilised!

#186939 - 06/17/05 11:30 AM
Violette

According to my Dr. I can take the immodium "once in a while" while pregnant. At this rate it's about three pills once a week, sometimes twice. I suppose that would be almost the same as one preventative pill a day if you break it down. I do get D attacks primarily, but the three immodiums leave me with bad C afterwards. I am just guessing that because of this, that taking one each day, plus being pregnant might leave me with never going at all, or with a bad case of C. But I suppose it's worth a try for a little while if the strict diet doesn't make a difference.
Thanks again!

#186950 - 06/17/05 11:49 AM
Linz

You can find a low enough dose with taking it everyday that it will not make you C - remember I mentioned liquid loperamide if you need a tiny dose???

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3577 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3615

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review