All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
new and need help
      #185618 - 06/10/05 07:53 PM
flgrlnnyc

Reged: 05/28/05
Loc: nyc

i am new to the site, i have IBS-D and mornings are very bad for me. I have started Heather's diet, use the Acacia and the peppermint tea. And yet every morning i am sick....
.....it's very frustrating to me.. any advice on making my mornings better would be greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new and need help new
      #185621 - 06/10/05 08:02 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Mornings are my most difficult time, too. I find that giving myself plenty of time to wake up so I don't have to rush around as soon as I'm out of bed is helpful. Rushing makes me anxious, which can make the tummy unhappy.

I've also stopped eating breakfast at home. Then I don't have to worry too much on the way to work. I just bring my oatmeal with me and eat it at work.

By the way, it may take some time for the diet to really work. Your body still needs time to adjust and get to normal. Hang in there.

#185622 - 06/10/05 08:06 PM
flgrlnnyc

i already give myself like 1 1/2 hours in the morning, it's hard though, i live in NYC so travel is very hard for me...i don't eat breakfast before i leave, so that isnt a factor but i am really sick in the morning. do you know about how long before the diet starts to change that ?
and thank you for the reply

#185624 - 06/10/05 08:29 PM
Terri4301

Reged: 06/03/05

Hi...I can totally relate, I've had IBS-D for more than 10 yrs. Have you tried daily immodium yet? Perhaps before bed? I also take 10 mg of amitriptyline nightly. It is a very low dose tri-cyclic AD that slows down the colon. It helps, but I need to do all of Heather's recommendations as well as the above mentioned. I'm not totally stable either, these are just some ideas that might help you. I'm hoping to become stable enough to get back into the workforce someday. I used to teach elementary school, and there's just no way that would work now. Morning is my worst time too. It's such a horrible cycle to have IBS-D, anxiety, etc...which came first? Who knows? Please know you're not alone in this. Hang in there. Keep loading up on the SF, if/when the attacks stop I'm sure the anxiety will get better too. Sorry, I'm rambling...
Terri

#185628 - 06/10/05 08:45 PM
flgrlnnyc

it is horrible having IBS-D, so which ammodium do you use daily??, i will try anything.
i have been following the diet, and starting to excercise..which is hard I am lazy , and i will try daily ammodium . I also take acidophillus, upon the reccomendation of my very smart co-worker.

#185629 - 06/10/05 08:51 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, and welcome! I hope you find some relief soon. I'm also IBS-D, started the diet in October, but really followed it 100% near the end of December. I've been stable since the end of March.

I also recommend taking Immodium in order to help you get stable. Heather mentions on the site that you can use Immodium as a preventative and for maintenance. She suggests taking it before meals. You can buy Imodium (which is also called Loperamide) in liquid or caplet form. Each caplet is 2 mg and you can take 1/2 - 1 as a preventative, but it varies person to person. For example, for preventative use, I'll take 1/2 in the morning with breakfast and then the other 1/2 in the evening. However, iff my intestines seem extra rumbly, I'll take a whole caplet in the morning OR in the evening (depending when I feel the "rumbles" or cramps). Since I'm stable I only take it on days I have to work or travel as maintenance. If I'm having a full-blown D attack, I'll take one to two caplets and follow it with another within the next hour if necessary.

It sounds like you're on the right track with the Acacia and peppermint tea. Where are you on the diet and avoiding trigger foods?

#185656 - 06/11/05 07:32 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well you NEED to eat breakfast even if it's only something tiny. Having an empty tum is a trigger in itself (which is why breakfast can be difficult as you've just had a whole night of empty tum).

Also, you say you're new to all this. Stabilising takes time...it took me 6 months before I felt significantly better.

Immodium is just the trade name of one drug (the chemical name is loperamide). Try taking 1 or 1/2 a caplet every morning when you get up. NOTE the dose for using it as a preventative varies from person to person, it's just wise to start small - Nelly takes handfuls! .

Also, what dose of Acacia are you on? Sure you've cut ALL the triggers out of your diet and are only eating IF VERY carefully?

#185666 - 06/11/05 08:05 AM
flgrlnnyc

i have been doing well on the diet. i havent been eating triggers. I do eat breakfast, just not at home. I eat something at work, since i have 1/2 - 1 hour train ride from my house to work. so i will try the ammodium.I had read about using it for maintenance, but i wasn't sure how much I was supposed to use and when. So thank all of you for your suggestions.I am using about 1 1/2 accacia ts per day. So i will continue the diet and add the immodium.

#185684 - 06/11/05 10:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Ah, ok, then you need a PRE-breakfast probably. I really recommend that you don't leave the house without ANYTHING. And pre-breakfast's (a little snack to warm your tummy up as it were) are really good for those with morning problems. Try just a banana or a couple of crackers - suggestions anyone? I think CAsey pre-breakfasts...?

#185687 - 06/11/05 10:23 AM
flgrlnnyc

honestly when i feel like that in the morning, there isn't anyway i can eat anything before i leave . I am on a train and i have no bathroom options, so i can't risk it......
maybe i will try a few crackers but it can't be anything more...i am already best friends with toilet thanks for the idea of crackers.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 283 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2253

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review