All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Guys, Guys!! I swear that my probiotic is REALLY helping!!
      #185271 - 06/09/05 04:49 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

OK- here's my story:
Found Heather's site and started the diet- went from massive, almost debilitating pain and usually C but occasional D to MUCH less pain, but ever present, and just a calmness about my IBS.

Was put on Zelnorm, and was pooing 4x a day at first. I believe this is what my body needs. It eventually faded to 1x a day, and is a drug and I didn't want to get hooked on it so I tapered off a week or so ago. It also gave me the odd day of pretty good D.(being an A I guess it would!!)

A week ago I began my 5 strain dophilus. I was at first a fart machine....yummy! and felt really burpy etc. Was still CThe next few days I couldn't pass gas no matter how I tried. Then, something happened the other day. Suddenly, I started going 3x a day, and my pain, was just GONE! I'm still finding I have some gas but honestly, I really think I might have found the balance. now watch it work for only a week, lol!
I love heather's diet and swear it's helped me a ton, but I really think the probiotic is taking care of what was YEARS of a systemic yeast infection. My fog is fading, I'm much less itchy, and am feeling somewhat more energetic. i did come off caffeine(well, 4/5 of it) recently so I'm still BAGGED tired, but it's just getting better every day.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Guys, Guys!! I swear that my probiotic is REALLY helping!! new
      #185288 - 06/09/05 05:49 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

That's great! I'm happy for you! So, are you just taking the probiotic and nothing else? I'm taking miralax and zelnorm and have started a probiotic, but cannot tell if its doing anything. What kind do you take? Where do you buy it? Just one dose per day?

Thanks and again, good for you!

Jessica

Congratulations! Great news! -nt- new
      #185298 - 06/09/05 07:58 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I am SUPER supportive of probiotics too!! new
      #185334 - 06/10/05 05:31 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I've been taking a good multi-strain probiotic for the past 7 or 8 months, and it has made a HUGE difference for me too! You know, my biggest benefit aside from the IBS has been that my sinuses have TOTALLY cleared up! AMAZING! Like you, I feel better in general. I am convinced this is something that is super beneficial to our bodies!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I want to know, too ... new
      #185368 - 06/10/05 07:01 AM
Sand

What probiotic are you taking, bamagirl? And you, STM?

Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Jarrodophilus EPS recommended by Bevrs here on the board! GREAT ! -nt- new
      #185451 - 06/10/05 10:30 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Many thanks. -nt- new
      #185499 - 06/10/05 11:57 AM
Sand

--------------------

Mine is Swiss "5 strain Dophilus"-pretty easy to find. Also new
      #185502 - 06/10/05 12:01 PM
_Willow

I've heard from a friend that Three Lac is great-but it may have dairy, I don't know. She had a systemic yeast and was so sick and it completely eradicated the sickness from her.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Many thanks, also. You guys are going into my bookmarks :) -nt- new
      #185507 - 06/10/05 12:09 PM
Sand

--------------------

Right now, here's what I'm doing. It's longish! new
      #185508 - 06/10/05 12:11 PM
_Willow

Right now I'm haivng a smoothie for breakfast every morning that I can, with woy milk, soy protein powder and a load of metamucil. I then have my BIG ol mucg of chai tea latte(lots of liquid, very little caffeine) and wash down a probiotic or 2. For dinner I have a pill or 2 as well. That's it, no drugs, no laxatives.

The lady at the health food store sugegsted I tinker with the dose till I felt some effect. I generally take between 2-3 a day. I am hoping if I start off strong and taper it down,that the good bacteria will grow and require less and less probiotic to regenerate.

But hey, for a lady whose health insurance is a plan where you pay up front and then get 75% back when they feel like sending it, I'm thinking a $10 giant jar of metamucil and a $25 probiotic a month is much more reasonable than paying $140 for my Zelnorm, and actually paying $35. Works out to the same, and it's all natural, not harsh on the body.

and I'm REGULAR! That's the best part. I went 4 times 3 days ago, twice 2 days ago, 4 times yesterday and am ready to go any minute now. And they are still fairly solid, so it's definitely not D. Ya Hoo!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Right now, here's what I'm doing. It's longish! new
      #185513 - 06/10/05 12:26 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How much metamucil do you take?

also, I thought you were suppose to take probiotics before meals on an empty tummy?

Anyhow, whatever works for you. Does the probiotic say to take it on a full stomach? I looked for this brand in some health food stores, and at Wild Oats and Whole Foods but couldn't find it. Maybe it's only in Canadian or on-line?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Hmm...I take it usually before I eat, new
      #185614 - 06/10/05 07:18 PM
_Willow

but right before.
It just honestly says "take 1 to 3 capsules a day"...and it's coated so it only dissolves in the intestine. Is that maybe why the discrepancy?
It's kept in the fridge as well.

As for the Metamucil, I take about 5 tbsp a day. What I do is shake in a bunch of it into muy smoothie-never really count it, just know it'd be the size of about a chocolate chip(mmm) cookie-homemade size. So like 1.5 to 2 ounces.

I'm by far the ultimate authority on this, Augie....but this is what I'm doing and it's working for me.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Do you take all 5 Tablespoons .... new
      #185630 - 06/10/05 08:52 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

of metamucil at once? In your morning smoothie? Is it regular orange flavor or gross plain? I don't think sugar free orange is safe, but you probably already know that.

Also, what store did you find your probiotic at? I can't find it in the States either.

I'm *pretty sure* Swiss is a Canadian brand.... - nt- new
      #185637 - 06/10/05 10:25 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yes, all 5 in my smoothie. I'm GUESSING it's that much... new
      #185690 - 06/11/05 10:55 AM
_Willow

it is the full sugar, orange flavor. I had had sugar free, but quit that last round.
I think I'll be going to no flavor next time though, I HATE that fake Orange McDonald's juice flavor!!

And Swiss Natural Sources, is a Canadian company out of Vancouver.(I just read the label) but they have a Website and if you surf the WEB you can find it everywhere.

Heh, leave it to us Canadians to have the best drugs...and UN drugs!!!
Swiss Natural Sources

Best of luck, ladies....it'd be great if this product got us all moving!

Gotta go, I have a BM coming! YAAY!!!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6651

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review