All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Fruits, veggies, SF, IF, peel, chop, cook (long post)
      #185243 - 06/09/05 03:02 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is pretty much in response to the Q&A in this thread. I was finding it very difficult to navigate the different streams of conversation, so I decided to break this out into a new thread.

I had already pretty much put these thoughts together before Heather's last post in the existing thread, so I decided to go ahead and post it. I hope this helps clarify things, rather than muddying the waters more.

I came up with this based on a close reading of what Heather has to say about the various fruits and vegetables, a little Web research, and some common sense. If anyone see something I've gotten wrong, please say so.

Here's how I think about soluble fiber fruits and vegetables versus insoluble fiber fruits and vegetables. It's a continuum. Most fruits and vegetables have some SF and some IF. In general, peelable fruits and vegetables have more IF in their peel than in their innards.

Let's look at specifics.

Here are the foods Heather identifies as Soluble Fiber:

Rice; Pasta and noodles; Oatmeal; Barley; Fresh white breads; Rice cereals; Flour tortillas; Soy; Quinoa; and Corn meal - these are not fruits and vegetables where the issue of peeling arises.

Applesauce - the issue of peeling does not arise; it's all soluble fiber

Avocados; Bananas; Mangoes; and Papayas - you always peel these; the insides are soluble fiber

Chestnuts - you don't eat the shell; the insides are soluble fiber

Mushrooms - you eat the whole thing; all soluble fiber

Pumpkins - you don't eat the skin/shell; the insides are soluble fiber; the seeds are insoluble fiber

Squash, zucchini and yellow - the insides are soluble fiber; the skins are insoluble fiber

Squash, all others (e.g., acorn, butternut, spaghetti) - you don't eat the skin/shell; the insides are soluble fiber

Turnips - the insides are soluble fiber; the skins are almost certainly insoluble fiber

Carrots - the whole thing is soluble fiber; you can peel them if you want, but it's not necessary

Parsnips - just like carrots

Rutabagas - you don't eat the skin; the inside is soluble fiber

Beets and rutabagas - I don't eat these, but from what I can tell, you don't eat the skin; the insides are soluble fiber

Potatoes - the insides are soluble fiber; the skins are insoluble fiber

Yams, Sweet potatoes - the insides are soluble fiber; the skins are insoluble fiber

Other fruits and vegetables are more IF than SF. Chopping and cooking does NOT change the IF to SF. It just makes it easier for your digestive tract to break the food down, so it doesn't have to work as hard. Digestion is the process of breaking down the bonds that hold food together. Chopping breaks these bonds down mechanically, cooking breaks them down chemically. These two processes do some of the work for your digestive system - chopping is like chewing, cooking is like digestion. Even after chopping and cooking, however, you are still left with IF, albeit partially "digested" for you.

Based on what I'm seeing in Heather's list of Insoluble Fiber, here's what I think the deal is with peeling:

If you peel apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, and apricots, you're left with soluble fiber. If you peel and seed eggplant, tomatoes, and cucumbers, you greatly reduce the amount of IF, but there is still some left. If you peel bell peppers, you reduce the amount of IF somewhat.

I found these 2 quotes from the Insoluble Fiber FAQ especially valuable:

Quote:

The second rule to remember here is that while you should be having lots of fresh fruits and veggies every day, make sure you cook, peel, chop, seed, dice, and/or puree most or even all of them. Peeling and seeding fruits and veggies will remove the toughest insoluble fiber altogether. Chopping, cooking, and pureeing will mechanically break down the insoluble fiber in fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts before you eat it, making it much less likely to provoke problems.

Quote:

It's also helpful to make sure you're already eating as much of the healthiest soluble fiber foods as possible: root veggies (sweet potatoes, pumpkin, beets, rutabagas, carrots, etc.), mangoes, bananas, peeled apples and peeled pears, peeled peaches and apricots, and avocados.

For a brief description of the "inside SF, outside IF" idea, take a look at the
Both fibers FAQ.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you, Sand! new
      #185245 - 06/09/05 03:15 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was just going to do this, because the various threads of conversation were too hard for me to navigate as well!

In short form, if you're relying on peeled fruit as your main source of insoluble fiber, you are probably not getting enough... because it's mostly soluble at that point.

Cooking, chopping, pureeing, grating, etc are methods of breaking up the insoluble fiber to make it easier to digest. They do not remove the insoluble fiber, nor do they make the foods soluble fiber.

Really, if you stop to think about it, it's totally common sense. The texture of what you're eating will tell you a lot about how soluble/insoluble it is. If you peel something and remove everything that's "tough", what you're left with is pretty much soluble fiber.

I'd also like to remind everyone that it's very important to eat as much INsoluble fiber as you can tolerate. It's necessary for EVERYONE's good health, but especially in the case of C'ers, it's VERY necessary to keep things moving. Like Linz, in trying to catch up with the discussion, I was realizing that I'm eating more IF than a lot of C'ers - and I'm not a C!

The diet comes down to 2 simple things to remember:

1. Avoid the blatant trigger foods - dairy, red meat, fat, caffeine.

2. Eat as much insoluble fiber as you can, but make it SAFE by eating it with a soluble fiber "base".

That's it!

Re: Thank you, Sand! new
      #185251 - 06/09/05 03:44 PM
Sand

Not just "Picture Pixie", but "Pithy Pixie", too! Thanks, Casey.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: excellent summary, Sand--n.t. new
      #185279 - 06/09/05 05:06 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

thank you so much for taking the time to search and post this n/t new
      #185294 - 06/09/05 07:29 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Thank you, Sand and Casey for such an easy to understand IF/SF summary. -nt- new
      #185306 - 06/09/05 10:09 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Re: Fruits, veggies, SF, IF, peel, chop, cook (long post) new
      #185314 - 06/09/05 11:31 PM
imp

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: england

Wow that is very helpfull a kind of at a glance do's and don'ts.cheers for taking the time to do this .i know its what is already in the books but by breaking it down it makes it clearer.nice one.
impxx

Cooking SF fruits and veggies (not IF, SF) new
      #185400 - 06/10/05 08:12 AM
Sand

(This is really an update to my original post, but I just wasn't up to editing that monster, so, yes, I'm talking to myself.)

Once I read this series of Q&A in the old thread:

Question
Answer
Question

I realized I needed to think harder - or differently - about cooking SF fruits and vegetables. Here's what I came up with and posted over there:

My Answer

The devil really is in the details.

HTH.

--------------------

Thanks Sand! Now everything's clear! -nt new
      #185440 - 06/10/05 10:14 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

--------------------
IBS-D

Sand, one question new
      #199494 - 07/26/05 12:32 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

On this quote from Heather:

"The second rule to remember here is that while you should be having lots of fresh fruits and veggies every day, make sure you cook, peel, chop, seed, dice, and/or puree most or even all of them."

This post makes it seem like everyone should almost always cook, and peel all fruits and veggies. But, being a C person, wouldn't it make sense to eat some peels (like on zucchini) and not to have to cook things like nectarines.

Heather's post does not say "only if you are prone to D should you do this. It seems like she is saying everyone with IBS should usually always cook and peel/puree them.

Am I wrong to eat a fresh unpeeled nectartine, or unpeeled zucchini to help increase IF since I am Constipated?

Sorry, I thought I understood...but right when I think I have it....

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 931 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4151

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review