All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Working during colonoscopy prep???
      #184929 - 06/08/05 09:12 PM
ccox03

Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Atlanta, GA

I'm going for my first colonoscopy on Friday and picked up my jug of colyte this afternoon. I only now started reading the posts regarding colonoscopies on this website, and I honestly didn't realize how difficult the prep would be.

My question is this: I work in an office environment. My doctor told me to start taking the colyte at 12 p.m. tomorrow and the procedure will be done at 2:30 p.m. on Friday. Do most of you suffer through the prep at home, or has anyone managed to work in an office while doing the prep? In other words, will I be permanently stuck to the toilet if I attempt to start the prep at the office?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Christine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Working during colonoscopy prep??? new
      #184935 - 06/08/05 10:04 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

If I were you, I'd take the day off.
You might be able to get through the day, but you will be almost undoubtedly having to hurry to the loo at least a few times... maybe all day. Just for your own comfort level, I'd give yourself the day off to hang out at home in your jammies with some movies or something and just try and make it as pleasant as you can.

Have you checked out this post: Colonoscopy Prep Made Easy ? It's got loads of good ideas to make it as easy as possible.

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#184936 - 06/08/05 10:08 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

During the difficult parts of the prep, trust me, you are DEFINITELY going to want to be at home. Basically, for the prep, you're bowels have to be totally emptied. So yes, you'll be in the bathroom a lot and by the end all that should be coming out is water Something you probably don't want to be doing in the public bathrooms at work, I assume...

That said, for me I took the laxative stuff around early evening I think and it wasn't until the middle of the night that the 'emptying' started. So if you work to 5, taking it at 12 might be ok. BUT I'm not sure you want to risk taking a heavy-duty laxative while at work?? Eep.

Is it at all possible to take the afternoon off? If so, I'd really recommend that. I can't imagine going through all that in a public place, personally anyway.

#184939 - 06/08/05 10:18 PM
ccox03

Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Atlanta, GA

Thanks, Laurel and Steph. I am going to try to get the afternoon off -- better than spending it in the office bathroom! I appreciate your advice --

Best,

Christine

I agree! new
      #184949 - 06/08/05 11:17 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Once it started, I hardly left the bathroom...and then only to fall into bed for a few minutes rest!

#184988 - 06/09/05 06:58 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My friend recently had one done and literally couldn't get off the toilet for hours. She pulled the tv in front of the bathroom door and even ate her dinner on the toilet.

I'd get the afternoon off just to be safe!!

Good luck!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2023 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1322

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review