All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Tink new
      #185183 - 06/09/05 11:47 AM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Thanks Linz! Yeah I took Immodium the other day when I did have proper D, and it really helped for a few days actually. I wonder if I could just take half in the mornings and if that would help? Yeah maybe Immodium would be better than this weird ass [censored], I've never felt so much like I've been on crack in my life!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tink new
      #185186 - 06/09/05 11:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Half a tablet every morning is a good dose to start at. If that makes you a bit C, you can get the drug (loperamide) in liquid form on rx to allow you to take tiny doses. I love the stuff...it certainly did more for my IBS than a-d's!

Re: Are the worth it? new
      #185189 - 06/09/05 11:52 AM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Hi Ruchie, I did get tested for Celiac and I don't have it. I have no clue if I'm absorbing my food or not, it's just what I feel is happening because I'm not eating much and going to the bathroom so much, so it feels like I'm not getting much out of the food I'm eating... but I must be getting SOMETHING because I'm still alive, getting my period, not losing horrible amounts of weight... etc...

Re: Are the worth it? new
      #185195 - 06/09/05 12:16 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Tinkerbelle, do you take digestive enzymes? You mentioned that you feel that you are not absorbing nutrients consumed through foods. Digestive enzymes assist with that. Also, has a medical practioner concluded that you have a malabsorption problem? This is serious stuff. Obviously, D would impact nutrient assimilation as your transit time is drastically and violently/painfully accelerated. I know, I'm digressing from the issue re: Elavil. A digestive enzyme won't help with the D, however it will help with nutrient absorption.

Re: Seriously, Tink... new
      #185199 - 06/09/05 12:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Use and keep Immodium handy, as Linz reinforced. Consider pedialyte and gastrolyte, too to keep those electrolytes in balance.

Re: Side effects of Elavil/Pamelor? new
      #185253 - 06/09/05 03:52 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

SInce I am an IBS-A, I can get constipated easily. It sounds like you have pretty bad D and would be able to take the medication and still be able to go. My D wasn't terrible - probably 2 times a day, so it constipated me pretty quickly. The cramping was awful and the medication really helped with that as well. But like I said, your D is worse than mine so you would probably be able to take a low dose and still be able to go.

--------------------
Dana

They did work for me. new
      #185258 - 06/09/05 04:10 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

When I started taking them I was severely nauseous all of the time and had some serious problems with 48 hr boughts of vomiting and d. The pills stopped that. I took them long enough for my system to calm down and then got off of them.

Re: Side effects of Pamelor? (Nortriptyline) new
      #185276 - 06/09/05 04:58 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

most seem to have missed the deal here - you're on PAMELOR....NOT... Elavil, correct?

like i said, you'll likely gain some weight, but thought you said you could use it. PLUS it'll not be anywhere close to as much weight as IF you were taking elavil. likely some constipation, again not as much as w/ elavil - sounds like a fair trade-off for you that should be able to me managed with sfs, etc.

biggest point - these type drugs almost always take up to 3 wks to work. anyone who wants to succeed on them must develop the patience to stick that out. the 'off' feeling you're having is probably a very typical start-up effect known as depersonalization. it will keep subsiding, as you get further along. so will the sedation.

i encourage you give this a fair trial because it could well end up making you feel simply marvelous! (altho there are no guarantees that any ad will be the right one for any given person.)

Types of D... new
      #185309 - 06/09/05 10:18 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I just wanted to mention that I always understood D to be not only watery and loose stools but ALSO frequency or a large number of BMs. Tiny or thin stools are also considered D. I get all kinds, , and Immodium does help because, as Linz said, it slows your gut down. May I quote Heather?

"Immodium and Lomotil are the most common anti-diarrheal medications for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. They enhance intestinal water absorption, strengthen anal sphincter tone, and decrease intestinal transit, thereby increasing stool consistency and reducing frequency. Both are meant to be used for prevention of diarrhea by taking them prior to events (meals or stress) which typically trigger symptoms. They should be taken with plenty of fresh water. Immodium can be used as a daily maintenance drug..."

Thanks, Maria. (m) new
      #185351 - 06/10/05 06:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It's helpful - and somewhat reassuring - to have someone write coherently about the many faces of D. I get different kinds, too - lucky us - after all, variety is the spice of life.

I really appreciate this post - and thanks for the quote, too.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 704 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9423

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review