All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
i need help finding sliced bread that contains NO triggers for IBS.
      #184457 - 06/07/05 06:06 PM
scarletsoleil

Reged: 06/07/05

im really having trouble finding a sliced white bread that i can tolerate. i considered NaturesOwn whitewheat bread(is this really wheat bread)? NaturesOwn Butterbread? Arnold Dutchcountry potatobread or any potato bread? im at a loss. i havent tried any of these breads because frankly im scared to.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: i need help finding sliced bread that contains NO triggers for IBS. new
      #184504 - 06/07/05 09:57 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I would avoid Butterbread - it likely contains butter. I'm not familiar with the other brands off the top of my head to really recommend them. There's a couple brands I like, and I do know they're dairy-free, but they *might* contain high fructose corn syrup (I'm not sensitive to it, especially in such a small amount, so I don't worry about it). Friehofer's split-top white is one of them.

When looking for sliced bread, first look for the marking "Parve" or "Pareve" on the front, usually down near the lower right corner. This means these breads contain no dairy - it's easier than looking through the tiny print of the ingredients list!

You'll also want to avoid whole wheat, whole grain, or any that contain obvious trigger foods in the name of the bread, like the Butterbread. I would also be wary of the whitewheat - it sounds like it does have wholewheat flour in it.

Unfortunately, reading the labels is the best advice I can give you. You might have to try bakery breads instead, if you really can't find anything you trust.

yes it is really hard new
      #184540 - 06/08/05 07:15 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

to find nonwhole grain bread with no dairy and no HFCS! I just went through this lately. I don't think there are any at my regular grocery store (there are english muffins and bagels and baguettes and ciabatta that is safe but no sliced bread). I order my grocery from a place that delivers and they have 2 safe sliced breads. One is english muffin bread and is good toasted and the other is heavy white bread which for some reason is high in cals. So it takes a lot of searching and looking at every single loaf! When you find one you can buy extra and freeze the loaves just fine. That is good if you go to a HFS every so often.
Also bread that is nonwhole grain and no dairy and no HFCS is very safe so don't be afraid to try it. You can list the ingredients here if you have doubts about it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I found a new bread last night new
      #184991 - 06/09/05 07:08 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

koeplingers (?) had no triggers except in their butter white... no dairy, no hfcs... I looked at hamburger buns and like 6 types of bread without seeing triggers.. all at Meijers! woohee! since 2 of the last 3 loaves of "safe enough" bread I bought had mold in them even refrigerated within 3 days!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

LittleMinnie - English Muffins? new
      #185260 - 06/09/05 04:15 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I looked at Thomas' English Muffins today and they have dairy and HFCS in them. Do these not bother you or have you found another brand that doesn't contain them? (I love English Muffins.)

Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: i need help finding sliced bread that contains NO triggers for IBS. new
      #185264 - 06/09/05 04:25 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I usually have better luck going to the bakery section of my gorcery store and looking there. I buy and English toasting bread there that is safe except it does have HFCS listed. It must be a very small amount because it doesn't bother me at all. This is the WalMart bakery.

Re: LittleMinnie - English Muffins? new
      #185265 - 06/09/05 04:28 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm not Tamara, but the only non-dairy English muffins I've been able to find are Whole Foods brand (not sure about HFCS, because like Casey, I'm not sensitive to it, I eat Thomas's bagels that have HFCS in them 1-2x/day).

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#185273 - 06/09/05 04:51 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are lots of kinds of English muffins. I buy the store brand. My favorite kind with the British flag on them have HFCS.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thanks, I'll check Whole Foods. I never thought of that. -nt- new
      #185296 - 06/09/05 07:50 PM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#185297 - 06/09/05 07:51 PM
Sand

Quote:

There are lots of kinds of English muffins.

Not at my grocery store - it's Thomas' or nothing.

Thanks for the info - I'll check some other stores - and Whole Foods.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 994 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2668

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review