All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Librax question
      #184350 - 06/07/05 11:47 AM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

I have been taking librax once a day for a year and a half. I've been doing well and now that we are trying to get me off of it (went from a month of every other day now to every third day), I haven't been doing as good. I know alot of it is probably because I'm traveling so much for work and not eating great, but I feel like maybe this was the wrong time to try this. Has anyone been on it for a long period of time? Are there any long term side effects?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!!!

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Librax question new
      #184408 - 06/07/05 03:03 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I took Librax for about 2 years, before I knew anything about Heather or this website, and it did help by almost constipating me (I am IBS-D). But when I found heather's diet I decided I wanted to stop taking prescription pills, and like you are doing now, I slowly weaned myself off. I have found that if I follow the IBS diet (with the foods that work for me, because not all do)and take peppermint oil capsules daily, then I have about the same amount of comfort that the Librax gave me.

I do have to take the occasional Immodium AD capsule on bad days, but those are now few and far between. I stopped Librax mostly because of the constipating effect and because it also "constipated" my pee (weird way to put it, but I had to really push my urine out).

But I would definitely ask the doctor if long term use of librax is okay or not. Have you tried peppermint capsules?

#184437 - 06/07/05 05:16 PM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

hi...thanks for responding...i haven't tried peppermint caps. I did talk to the doc a little while ago and he said that there are no long term side effects and since i seem to do well with the librax, i should go back to everyday and see if there's a change. The thought of never getting off of them is just scary, but i'm trying to hang in there.

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

#184442 - 06/07/05 05:38 PM
meep

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Texas

I've been taking Librax for almost a yr and a half. I'm supposed to take it before each meal and at bedtime. Until I had gallbladder surgery, I was doing ok taking it once a day and only once in a while twice a day on bad days. Now I've had to go back to taking it at least 3 times a day. I'm just starting this diet, so I'm still on my meds. Librax is VERY addictive (my pharmacist tells me) so you need to wean yourself off of it slowly. Stopping it suddenly will cause withdrawal cramps/D/etc. Part of it is due to the Librium withdrawal and part is due to the antispasmodic component of the med. Good luck getting off meds. I'm going to try eventually!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 919

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review