All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bloating and Zelnorm
      #184140 - 06/06/05 09:43 PM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Hello! I was just diagnosed with IBS-C but I have been having problems for the past five years. The past year has been the worst though. Days like today it seems that I can't eat anything without my tummy blowing up like a balloon. Even the chamomile tea I just drank made my jeans tight!

In the past I have found that rice and pasta tend to make me more bloated than if I only ate a small portion of meat. From your past experiences, is this something that will resolve itself when I begin to follow the IBS diet? I have been avoiding pasta for years because of this, so needless to say I'm a little afraid to to try the diet!

Secondly, how quickly do you notice improvement when taking Zelnorm? I've been taking it for a week but there hasn't been any improvement. If anything I felt worse for the first three or four days.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloating and Zelnorm new
      #184146 - 06/07/05 04:23 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I personally can't help with the IBS Diet portion of your question as I don't follow the diet.
But as for the Zelnorm-
I was on two difernet courses of Zelnorm and I didn't get relief from bloating or pain from the Zelnorm.
I didn't have any more BM's to relieve the constipation than I normally do without taking the Zelnorm.
Sorry for the negativity but I didn't have good results with the Zelnorm.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#184153 - 06/07/05 06:04 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I also am an IBS-C and I have found that I can't eat pasta at all, no mater what type. I am not sure what it is about pasta since other starches don't seem to bother me. I eat lots of white rice and bread/cracker/cereal products that are on Heather's diet.

I also take Zelnorm. But am considering stopping. I had one hospitalization shortly after starting it but I had some other things going on in my life that were really big stressors. I haven't had any more difficulty but I also have started Heather's diet and take Milk of Magnesia every night. I still get some gas (almost daily)but nothing like before and the bloating has decreased tremendously. That's just been my experience.

Re: Bloating and Zelnorm for Melissa new
      #184175 - 06/07/05 06:51 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Melissa if you don't follow this diet, what diet do you follow? I am surprised at how many people on the board are not following Heather's diet.

Didn't it work for you? Can I ask what you have found to help you? I'm not sure what to do or what to eat as I am still hurting and constipated.

What are your symptoms? Are you able to control them now at all?

BTW, zelnorm did nothing for me either.

#184176 - 06/07/05 06:56 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I am sorry to hear you are feeling so bad and not having much success. When I started taking the Zelnorm it did take at least a week or two for it to really start working. Are you taking any fiber supplements? I take Citracel along with the Zelnorm and it does seem to help. If the Zelnorm doesn't help soon then I would go back to your doctor. How many times a day are you taking the Zelnorm? I started out taking it twice a day and now only need it once a day. Maybe if you are only taking it once you should try twice and do you take it a half hour before you eat? That also helps.

Let me know if you have any more questions that maybe I can help you out with and I hope you feel better soon.

Michelle

--------------------
Michelle

jblake... new
      #189322 - 06/26/05 07:58 PM
Cyndy

What exactly does pasta do to you?

I eat brown rice pasta with rice bran and it is more helpful for the C than white rice pasta.

Did you stop your zelnorm yet? I'm trying to decide if I should stop mine. I have doubts as to how well it's working, yet I am afraid to stop it for fear of never going!

Safari? new
      #189323 - 06/26/05 08:01 PM
Cyndy

How are you fairing with the pasta and rice? Are you able to eat the carbs without bloating yet? Are you eating them anyway or avoiding them.

It's pretty hard to avoid them on this diet...but I think the carbs are notorious for causing bloat as they tend to ferment in the bowels. I read that rice is the only carb that doesn't cause gas/fermenting.

Re: jblake...-bump new
      #190829 - 07/01/05 09:03 AM
Cyndy

Re: Safari? new
      #191218 - 07/03/05 09:59 AM
Safari567

Reged: 06/05/05
Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

The pasta and rice aren't bothering me as much as I remember them bothering me in the past. I also try to keep the serving size down (1 cup or less) and that seems to help too.

Re: Safari? new
      #191222 - 07/03/05 10:08 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have this problem too! Are you eating white rice or brown? Did you find that one type was more more helpful for reducing the bloat?
When you say 1 cup, you mean one cup after it is cooked, right? Otherwise it would be 4 servings of rice uncooked since a serving tends to be 1/4 cup dry!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1349

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review