All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What about Restaurants?
      #183753 - 06/05/05 04:53 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

I'm not really sure how to eat in restaurants, although I don't go often. How would you order anything? What if the chefs used the wrong cooking oil or something.
..And do you all avoid fast-food? Say, if you needed something cheap and quick? I don't usually eat fast food. But Im going to university next year. Wondering if I could save money.

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What about Restaurants? new
      #183759 - 06/05/05 05:20 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi, welcome to the boards. Have you done a search about this? We have discussed various restaurants many times. Fast food as well.

Good luck.

#183831 - 06/06/05 03:56 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I second the board search.. personally the only "fast" food I'll do is subway, but we have a local quick and cheap mexi place that is great... fat free beans, etc...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#183833 - 06/06/05 04:03 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The only fast food I'm able to eat is Subway. The obvious rules apply - no red meat, no mayo, no cheese, no oil-and-vinegar, only go with the raw veggies if you know you can handle them. And no chips or soda on the side!

I know other people can do grilled chicken sandwiches just fine, from places like Wendy's, but they still bother me, so try one on a day when you don't have to be anywhere important afterwards!

Tell ya what, though... fast food is definitely not a way to save money!

I don't do a whole lot of restaurant-eating, but baked/grilled/broiled chicken or fish and plain rice/baked potato are always safe options, and most places do have some kind of variation on that. The only way to make sure you get what you need is to be assertive and ask for it. I always explain to the waitress that I have health problems and need to be accomodated - and then I ask for sauces on the side and for all my food to be prepared without oil or butter - and so far, I've not had any problems at all.

Good luck!

#183866 - 06/06/05 07:09 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Eating out gets easier as you get more familiar with the diet. You'll have to learn to question the waitstaff closely to find out what's in food. I find it really helpful to do my homework before I get to a restaurant - do a search on the Board to see if anyone has anything to say about the restaurant and call ahead to explain my situation and see what they can do for me. (Never underestimate the power of the Board - I posted a while back that I was going to a Moroccan restaurant and got responses from 2 people who'd actually eaten at the very one I was going to!)

I always make sure the restaurant serves at least one safe soluble fiber food I can start with: rice, plain baked potato, plain bread, flour tortillas. Then I have that first. Mexican restaurants, for example, will bring you an order of flour tortillas as an appetizer; Chinese will bring you rice.

This topic has come up a lot, so a Search should turn up lots more info. It can be a little tricky to search on generally, since the words "eating out" and "restaurant" don't always appear in the posts. Here are a couple of old posts I know about that should help get you started:

Thread 1

Thread 2

As for fast food, it pretty much won't work for IBS. You can try searching on specific fast food chain names and see if anyone has found anything okay to eat, but it's a long shot. Other people in this thread have given you a couple of pointers. I don't know if anyone mentioned Wendy's, but I'm pretty sure you can get a baked potato there and if you get it with nothing on it, that should be okay. I've found that McDonald's, while it doesn't have anything I would eat, does serve hot tea, so I pop in there when I'm traveling to get hot water for my own herbal teabags.

In better news, you can Search on "pizza" - don't use the quotes, Diet board only, All Posts. You should find a number of hits, including one where AlyssaKaye contacted some nationwide pizza chains and found out what's in their ingredients - and got some good news! I'm nominating her for President in 2008.

HTH. Bon appetit!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1007

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review