All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
Chris and Beth new
      #185132 - 06/09/05 10:45 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I hope you don't mind me jumping in but I thought you might like to hear from another C'er. First of all for me Acacia works really well. Maybe not for all but for me I feel like it helps things glide out easier. I don't have to push as much. I usually take about 2 tablespoons a day. One througout the day and another at night. I stopped taking my stool softners to see what would happen and you know what I found no difference in my BM's. I usually eat my IF at lunch and dinner. Sometimes it is fruit with the skin on like apples or peaches. At dinner I eat peas, green beans, a salad or fresh tomatoes cut up. I find the skin doesn't bother me too much. It actually helps things moving. The biggest thing that has helped my C is getting rid of eating fried foods and dairy. Those things used to kill my stomach! I still have bad days especially around that time of the month or if I am stressed or can't go to the bathroom when I feel the urge. But overall my C is about 80% better and I am virtually cramp free.

The Acacia did give me gas and bloating for awhile but then it eventually let up and I have been benefitting from it. The one other example I can give you that this is working for me is that I recently went back on prenatal vitamins because we are trying for baby#2! Well when I went on them before I was diagnosed with IBS the iron in them plugged me up so bad I was miserable. They contain 90 mg of iron. Well I don't have any problems with it now and it has made me so happy!

I hope this gives you a little encouragment and hope. Hang in there and forgive me if I don't respond quickly. I am on summer vacation and don't check the boards all that often like I did when I was at work!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: insolubles new
      #185141 - 06/09/05 10:56 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

Do you take the IF food off of the cheat sheet and cook them with the peel intact, Maria? I mostly eat black beans and blueberries and I can't really peel those, which is why I usually blend them. I get the IF from the peel, but by blending or mashing it gets broken down enough to make digestion easier. In the summer, after a meal, I'll usually have a small nectarine or plum as dessert; depending on what I ate before or how I'm feeling that week, I'll leave the peel on and do fine. Probably the most difficult peel for me to digest is apple peel. Also, when I was in college I used to snack on Gerber Baby Food products, like plums and the blended fruit or vegetable purees; I know some other people on the boards have tried this. I'm not sure how much IF that actually had though, and I couldn't find any nutrional info online, but the little containers of pureed food made it easy to take on trips or to work. There are other insolubles that I can tolerate but I know many people can't. For example:
**Broccoli, which I buy a frozen bag of, then microwave two-four florets until it's easy to chop and mash with a fork. I started with one floret, cooked and mashed, and then increased as I became stable. I always eat it with pasta. However, I WOULD NOT recommend this to anyone who IS NOT STABLE or has problems with gas.
**Bell peppers, which I chop very finely and mix with rice, couscous, or add to something like safe macaroni salad.
**corn, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes (seeded & peeled if possible) I use as you would a condiment, maybe a T of one of these added to my mashed beans or bean dip.

And would the pureed cooked green beans still be IF? what I'm confused about is if cooking also takes away the IF factor. I don't really eat a lot of green beans, but I think cooking takes away some IF but not all. I don't know if zucchini is SF inside. Could be since it is in the squash family. So even with the skin, the amount of IF could be minimal. That's what I was thinking too! When you cook your zucchini, do you add in your mushrooms raw? But they are SF anyhow so even raw wouldn't help me with IF. No, it probably wouldn't help, but it tastes good.

Wouldn't your peeled apples in your salad take away the IF? Yes, but the peel really bothers me. Sometimes I leave the peel, if the salad is for bf and me, and I can have about one slice of apple and feel okay. I'm afraid to try anymore than that even though I just get gassy, not really an IBS attack. It's just another one of those personalized IBS things, I guess.

BTW, which IF foods wouldn't need to be cooked? I'm thinking blueberries and canned pineapple(if blended or pureed), tomatoes (seeded; if chopped and not eaten, in large quantities I can tolerate the skin), nut butters, bell peppers (chopped finely). The sulfur-rich foods, like broccoli, I'll only eat well-cooked and mashed. That's all I can think of for now...

Sorry so dense on this this morning. I'm having a bad week with personal problems (I'll explain later). I'm sorry you're having a tough week. And I don't think you're dense! This is a tough subject to understand, especially when the nutrional information for so many items just lumps both types of fiber as "dietary fiber." I think I'm really on to something with this and why I'm still so constipated and why H's diet hasn't worked so well for me. Because I haven't been doing it correctly, even though I thought I was! I keep learning new things too! I feel like you're on the right track as well! And you're asking really good questions that are getting me to think about what I'm eating and how I'm eating and really read and comprehend what Heather has outlined. I feel like I have a better grasp on IF and SF just by discussing it with you!

This is right new
      #185142 - 06/09/05 11:00 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

...at least as far as I understand things! Of course, I'm newer than both of you, so maybe I'm confused, too!

Also, I think peeling an apple will make it totally SF, but for other fruit, like a peach, for example, while most of the IF is in the peel, there's still a little in the flesh. So if you peel and cook a peach, the little bit of IF in the flesh will be easier to digest than eating it raw. (But I still think there's IF in cooked fruits and veggies that have IF, it's just easier to tolerate.)

Hope I got all that right, and didn't make things more confused!

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#185143 - 06/09/05 11:01 AM
lalala

You're right, Ruchie! I feel like calling you Wise Ruchie because you know the diet so well and always give good suggestions! Like eating the potato peel, which is a good source of IF and, I think, pretty tasty.

What do you think about seed butters? I've never tried one, but I do fine with small amounts of nut butters.

Thanks for your help !

I'm more confused!- We need Heather! new
      #185147 - 06/09/05 11:02 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Heather, help us please!

It's my only SFS for over a year!! Only thing that has helped! -nt- new
      #185149 - 06/09/05 11:03 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#185159 - 06/09/05 11:15 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

"Wise Ruchie" That's too cute! I think I've just been here for sooooo long, I can't help but pick things up!

What are seed butters? I think almond butter is safe...used sparingly as it DOES have a lot of fat. I would use it the same as peanut butter...a teaspoon or two at a time. But of course, see what works for you!

Let me know what a seed butter is, I'm curious!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: nut & seed butters new
      #185161 - 06/09/05 11:20 AM
lalala

Sunflower seed butter or sesame seed butter (I think it's also called tahini). I've seen it at the store, Kettle brand--I should check the fat content! Maybe I'll give it a try and report back.

I've tried almond butter before in very small amounts, but it was during that time I was trying to figure out what bothered me, what didn't. I did okay with a small amount but I was kind of hopping around from food to food. Plus, it's kind of pricey. I should try it again though, since I can eat PB and I'm doing a bit better financially.

Do you have a specific question? new
      #185163 - 06/09/05 11:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I can't find anything unsolved!

I've also realised reading these posts that alot of you are eating less IF than me and I don't get bad C! Serves me right for thinking I didn't know enough about C to be very helpful. Sorry.

You guys are REALLY minising the IF in your diet! new
      #185167 - 06/09/05 11:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Wowee, I'd get C if I did all that! I eat zucchini cooked with it's skin, sweet peppers with skin, pears with skin, raisins, tangerines, cucumber with skin...ALL the time.

You just need to minimise it enough for you to tolerate it. This level varies per person...but for C you usually need MORE IF in your diet than D's. I'm not saying go eat a bag of apples with their skins, but you've got to get quite alot of IF in safely - by which I mean in small portions, after SF and with the IF minimised to your tolerance level.

Edited by Linz (06/09/05 11:28 AM)

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186875

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review