All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
Re: AC new
      #185075 - 06/09/05 09:20 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you eat those other fruits (bananas, melons, berries)?

Would the salad be fresh, cold, raw green beans? And what is nicoise salad, btw?

I just noticed you live in Chicago. I live in southwest suburbs near Chicago Ridge Mall! We're neighbors!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Acacia and constipation new
      #185082 - 06/09/05 09:26 AM
Augie

Have others C folks noticed Acacia causes them more constipation if taken as the only SFS?

Elizabeth, how much citrucel and psyllium do you take and in what form?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: insolubles new
      #185090 - 06/09/05 09:34 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi, Beth!

How about sticking to insolubles that you can mash, which, as Heather explained, would retain the IF but be mechanically broken down and make it easier to digest? For example, couldn't you puree beans and/or lentils in a blender, make fruit smoothies with bananas and your favorite fruits, like nectarines or blueberries--peels intact, or try small amounts of nut or seed butter? Sometimes I like to make a really simple fruit salad, which I eat after an SF meal, made with sliced bananas and pineapple tidbits, sometimes chopped apples without the skin. (I'm just throwing out ideas. I'm not exactly sure what foods bother you the most, and I apologize for suggesting anything that might make you sick.)

With zucchini, maybe you can cook the slices with the peel intact, I believe this would still retain the IF, and then slightly mash it? I like cooking zucchini with mushrooms; I find their flavors blend really well together. However, except for the skin, isn't zucchini mostly SF because it's a squash?

Usually, I check what's on Heather's IF list (from the cheat sheet) and just either cook the food item (usually IF vegetables) until mushy or if it's something I don't have to cook, I chop it finely or puree it. Also, even if the food is mushy or chopped, I still chew it well, which breaks it down even more for easier digestion. Yes, this makes me a slow eater--I'm usually the last one to leave the dinner table, but it also makes meals more enjoyable because I can savor the taste of the food.

I hope this helps at least a little bit. I know I'm not IBS-C, but it's important for me eat more IF as well. I'm still experimenting and trying to get more variety in my diet, so if you have any other tips I'd be happy to hear them!

Maria-insolubles new
      #185101 - 06/09/05 09:57 AM
Augie

Do you take the IF food off of the cheat sheet and cook them with the peel intact, Maria?

And would the pureed cooked green beans still be IF? what I'm confused about is if cooking also takes away the IF factor. I don't know if zucchini is SF inside. Could be since it is in the squash family. So even with the skin, the amount of IF could be minimal. When you cook your zucchini, do you add in your mushrooms raw? But they are SF anyhow so even raw wouldn't help me with IF.

Wouldn't your peeled apples in your salad take away the IF?

BTW, which IF foods wouldn't need to be cooked?

Sorry so dense on this this morning. I'm having a bad week with personal problems (I'll explain later). I think I'm really on to something with this and why I'm still so constipated and why H's diet hasn't worked so well for me. Because I haven't been doing it correctly, even though I thought I was!

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie, the next Sherlock Holmes! new
      #185103 - 06/09/05 10:01 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Good work putting those clues together! I never saw it coming!

Did you read detective stories as a kid?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: insolubles new
      #185108 - 06/09/05 10:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

To my understanding, and I could be wrong, cooking leaves the IF in...removing the peel takes it out.

So if I cook a peach with the peel, I get IF.

Also, if you eat the peel of a potato, you are getting If, and peanut butter as well, in case you've been eating those?

I ate the diet incorrectly too for a LONG time getting zero IF Beth! I hope I FINALLY understand it after 2.5 years! If not, someone PLEASE exaplin ir for both our sakes!!!

Love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Acacia and constipation new
      #185113 - 06/09/05 10:15 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Argggh! This is so frustrating. I've been trying to build up to a medium to high dose of Acacia fiber because all of the other options (citrucell, psyllium, etc.) make bloating and gas worse than it already is. When I tried Acacia in the past it did make me more constipated, though it had the least side effects. This time around it seems to be doing the same thing... though it's hard to tell because NOTHING has helped since I took those antibiotics (except for Fruit-Eze, but that really tore up my gut).

I started Miralax three days ago and I've had one BM. I'm at two doses of 17mg per day. It is really causing a lot of gas and cramping too.

I'm at my wits end here. Want to scream!

Chris

You are so cute Ruchie! new
      #185119 - 06/09/05 10:24 AM
Augie

Yes, someone help us please. I really feel like such a dork for not eating IF for so long when I thought I was! But at least I know now what I was doing was wrong, and it gives me some hope that maybe this diet may work for me eventually if I can get all the details, facts correct!

So PB is an insoluble. Too bad I can't handle fats at all.

I never tried a potato with skin, as they usually serve as my SF base. I would need to eat a potato with skin and rice and that's just too many carbs/starches at once for me.

--------------------
~ Beth

Are you on Acacia AND Miralax? new
      #185123 - 06/09/05 10:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

I would do just the Miralax and see if some of the pain subsides?

I'm so sorry you are suffering so much!!!!!!!

Sending you lots of comforting things that make you feel at least a bit better,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: You are so cute Ruchie! new
      #185126 - 06/09/05 10:32 AM
Snow for Sarala

I eat the top of the potato and then as I get to the bottom I eat the flesh WITH the peel and it's safe as can be. only try it when you're ready

Please realize you're NEVER alone...and someone else might be grappling with the same thing you are and be too shy to ask. I'm glad you asked your question

Love ya! Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2538 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186881

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review