All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
You are exactly right!! new
      #184571 - 06/08/05 08:07 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

This IS a balancing act! There are good and bad days! Thanks for putting this so plainly and simply! Glad to know you are better! I think a lot of folks don't realize that TIME is their greatest ally in this battle for stability! Thanks!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Trying to eat more, but have gastroparesis new
      #184573 - 06/08/05 08:13 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Okay, I know I need more calories as I am losing weight and down to an unhealthy weight. But I have gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) which means I get full after eating small amounts of food. The degree of gastroparesis is not severe, thank heavens, but it is hard to eat more when I always feel stuffed. Hmmm. Dilemma. If I eat more in the day, I am full by dinner. Should I just eat anyhow even though I feel "full"? Isn't that a trigger for problems?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Nah, raw isn't taboo... you just have to be careful! new
      #184576 - 06/08/05 08:20 AM
Augie

So your mango and pinapple were fresh and not frozen? And when you say you have 5 to 6 servings of fruits/veggies a day, that's also including cooked as well, right? You don't do all serving raw I presume? That would make one full cup of fruit salad, 1 whole cup of strawberries and about 1 cup of mushrooms/tomatoes? Were there any cooked f/v in this day?

Just curious, what was for breakfast?? 2 crackers was enough SF cushion for you with the fruit snack?

Also, did you eat all the rice before the veggies? Or did you mix them together? Is it safe to just mix them or do you need to eat the rice first in order for it to work as an SF?

I think there was a recent post regarding how much SF you need to eat before eating IF. I need to search that one out.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Ruchie! new
      #184580 - 06/08/05 08:25 AM
Augie

If it took you 2 1/2 years, then maybe I'm not a lost hope at 8 months! I've been wondering what was taking me so long since others have found relief within days or weeks.

I guess it's all the extenuating circumstance I have...a past history with anorexia, delayed gastric emptying, and a non functioning gallbladder.

Thanks for your post! I get so tempted to "shuck it all" after so much time. You are an incentive to help me keep trying despite my past failures at all this.

--------------------
~ Beth

Going on miralax to get off of it... new
      #184584 - 06/08/05 08:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

sounds super to me!

I have firbomyalgia. And I was on TOnS of meds for it. Once I was able to begin stabilizing I went off the meds and I have been med free ever since!

If it were me (and it's NOT...just my thoughts), I would go on Miralax for 2 weeks. And I would re-evaluate at that time. And I would continue on that path until I felt my evalutaions were accounted for.

I was on Miralax for a bit in 03' and I don't recall much about it as the experience was short lived. My doc said it is non-addiciting and I could take ti for life--which I DID NOT wish to do. In any case, I felt it was safe so I took it. The point is...I wouldn't worry about the long-term effects. I would simply take it for a short period of time knowing you have a use/goal/purpose in taking it.

HTH....feel better soon!!!

Ruchie~

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Thanks Ruchie! new
      #184590 - 06/08/05 08:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Beth, you are NEVER a lost hope! Got that?!?!?! *hugs*

I had anorexia behind me. Gluten probs. Sugar to get rid of. An abusive past to face. And more! And yes...this all plays a role in how long it takes to get to wellness.

Anxiety and life circumstance DEFINATELY counts with IBS and most illnesses. My IBS is RAGING because I had some triggers by mistkae (and then on purpose without realizing why I craved them so badly ), and the move we just made. I'm NOT doing well. The good news is, I know how to get back on track now. But look how very long it took me to get here.

But, it's SO worth it!

Hang in there Beth,you're gonna make it!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Some confusion now about raw ... new
      #184601 - 06/08/05 09:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I thought all the foods on the soluble fiber list were okay to eat raw (minus peels where appropriate) and that it was only the insoluble fiber fruits and vegetables that needed to be chopped and/or cooked to be safe.

In other words, I think it's just as safe to eat carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and turnips raw, as it is to eat avocados, bananas, mangoes, and papayas raw. They're all soluble fiber, right?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (06/08/05 09:00 AM)

Fire vs Sharks! new
      #184607 - 06/08/05 09:17 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

ROTFLMBO! I love that. As an A, I appreciate that sentiment...the other side is always greener, etc.

You're probably right, but... new
      #184618 - 06/08/05 09:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm still afraid of the harder raw vegetables. LOL! I won't eat carrots raw. They come out whole on the other end.

But yes, you're right, the mushrooms are SF even when they're raw, just like tomatoes are still IF even if they're cooked. Sorry if I confused anyone when I was rattling off what I ate! I guess if you want to get technical, then, I probably eat closer to 3-4 "servings" of IF veggies/fruits a day.

Re: Going on miralax to get off of it... new
      #184619 - 06/08/05 09:34 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

This is exactly what I have decided to do. I saw a new GI doc yesterday, at UCSF Medical Center here in San Francisco, one of the best teaching hospitals in the country. He was a really amazing guy.

My plan is to go on Miralax while I slowly build up to 2-3 TBS of Acacia, and get some probiotics into my system. I think the probiotics were making things worse because I was so constipated, but my sense is that if I get things movings they may actually help.

Hopefully as the Acacia kicks in I can then slowly titrade off of the Miralax. I've already noticed that the Acacia seems to provide a buffer that enables me to eat more IF than I would normally be able to, which in turn I hope will stimulate more peristaltic activity (and BMs).

I have a glorious BM this morning (sorry, but some of you know that feeling after waiting for so long!) after my first dose of Miralax yesterday. A little lower GI cramping, but not too severe.

Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 765 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186564

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review