All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
For Beth... new
      #184276 - 06/07/05 09:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Personally, sweetie, I've thought all along that (1) you're not eating enough and (2) you're not eating enough insolubles. Those two things are going to keep you hung up on this C thing no matter what else you try. Trust me on this one. I STILL get C if I don't eat enough for a couple days, and like I've said already, I HAVE to eat insolubles often or my guts are all screwed up.

I know it's scary because of the gas and bloating, but sometimes you have to weigh out your options and choose to attack the most troublesome symptom first.

So my thought? Yes, you should "start over" and do the diet again. I wouldn't bother with "what to eat when you can't eat anything" because you've been eating a good amount of SF all along. I would just concentrate on eating more and eating more IF, and give it a good long time to start working. C and A really are such a pain to manage.

Just my .02, of course.

*hugs*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does this diet work for anyone with IBS-C? new
      #184277 - 06/07/05 09:56 AM
MT

Reged: 03/16/05

I totally agree with you about what your saying. It is impossible for anyone to say that this diet will work for everybody unless they can see the future of every living being, and you can be sure that whoever is saying it is one of the lucky ones that it did work for. I did notice some changes on the diet less explosive D, but bloating and gas still was a major problem and I don't believe that if I carried on for months more, that would have stopped. Don't get me wrong I am so happy for the people that find great relief from this and I will continue to try again and not completely give up the ship, but to always hear the same people say over and over that it will eventually work is wrong. I know that for me breathing causes symptoms and on this diet, symptoms are reduced but by no means to the point where I say praise the lord it's a miracle. I would presume that the people who find that this does not work at all for them, disappear from the site and the ones that have great results stay and sing the praises of it which is logical. But you can guarantee there are people that this does not help and months or years won't change that. I wish the best to those who keep on plugging along I know I will continue to try in some form or another.

Re: For Beth... new
      #184332 - 06/07/05 11:19 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I have second this - not for Beth, but for my IBS-C. I *have* to have insolubles at pretty much every meal (whole grains or raw fruit or cooked IF veggies) to keep the C at bay. Now, I drop the IF if I have a D attack, but only then and only for a short time.

Surprisingly, the hypno program really helped my C. I was just expecting that it might help my occasional stress-related D attacks, but it ended up making me really and truly regular. Bizarre, but wonderful!

--AC

Hi Friend! new
      #184337 - 06/07/05 11:29 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I really believe in the principles of Heather's diet and that's why I haven't given up on it after all this time! I do believe, I do believe, I do believe....

Could the ten pound weight loss be a sign that I'm not eating enough? Am I suppose to keep eating even though nothing is coming out the other end and I feel painful cramps? I thought I was suppose to let my body rest during these time by not making the body have to go through the mechanics of having to digest foods.

I'm not sure if I am eating enough SF. I think I may be concentrating on too much IF if fact. Maybe I should start reporting in so I can get some feedback.

Thanks for your thoughts, Casey.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I just got the newest issue of Heather's IBS Newsletter and new
      #184347 - 06/07/05 11:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

the topic is "The Five Constipation Frustrations: What if you think you're doing everything you're supposed to do for constipation, but nothing is working?!" This issue only covers 2 of the 5 - it's a cliff-hanger.

I'm not bringing this up to beat that same poor old dead horse of trying harder or doing it "right", but I thought some of Heather's suggestions were interesting and might be worth checking out. And, since I gather some people who post don't get the newsletter, it's online via this link.

(I hope it's okay to point non-subscribers there and in case it's not, I'll hope to make up for my faux pas by saying it's really easy to subscribe; I've never gotten a single unwanted email as a result of subscribing; and there's at least one item I find interesting in almost every issue - if not the main topic, then the research info, and if not that, then the recipes.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Hi Friend! new
      #184353 - 06/07/05 11:47 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Augie,

I'm hardly the one to be giving advice, because I'm far from feeling good as you know.

However, I do know that eating small meals actually helps with constipation because eating stimulates peristalsis. And for some reason, if I go a long time without eating it makes my symptoms WORSE.

Did you see Heather's newsletter today? It was about constipation. I was encouraged by it - not that there was anything new, but a little more explanation and detail I found helpful.

Perhaps you (and I) could find some gentle laxative that would keep us moving while we build up to a dosage of SF that works. Maybe getting regular, in combination with the diet, would elminate or at least reduce the cramping and other symptoms you experience. I know for me when I'm really plugged up it doesn't much matter what I eat.

Keep us posted and take care,
Chris

Yes! new
      #184362 - 06/07/05 11:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

For months on the diet I got little relief. I was eating TONS of french bread. Well, I have a gluten intolerance!

I am C. I DO get D occasionally. But I am MOSTLY C.

This diet has helped me in many many ways. As someone with C I take magnesium and calcium to help me go in addition to following the diet.

I also drink a TON of bottled water and eat as many fruits and veggies as I can. This along with brown rice pasta helps me go as well.

It took me about 2.5 years to get it right. And I STILL tweak the diet every now and then if I add a new supplement to my diet or something. Even the season changes wreak havoc on my system. So I am constantly listening to my body and adjusting my diet/lifestyle as needed.

Hth!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

The diet has been working for me!! new
      #184366 - 06/07/05 12:03 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

You will see in my signature that I am IBS-A. However, the C is and always has been much more predominant for me. Actually, since starting this diet, (knock on wood) I haven't had an issue with D, just C. I feel like I have learned so much and am so in tune with what my body is telling me now that I can start to give advice or tell my story to others. It took awhile for me to adjust and start to feel even remotely "normal" again. I know I'm not there yet, but I am learning my trigger foods and my "helpers". I find that my C suffers when I miss a dose of my scheduled acacia. Right now I am taking a tablespoon in the morning, afternoon, and before bed. My terrible gas has subsided (unless I cheat or have a bad day), the pain has lessoned (unless I miss a dose), and I have bowel movements almost daily. Huge improvement for me considering I used to go for days.

However, I am also a firm believer that one thing does not work for everyone. There are always exceptions to the rules. Hopefully you are not the exception but there is always a chance.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Re: Post-infectious celiac? new
      #184377 - 06/07/05 12:39 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Badlydrawnboy--

I also have post-infectious IBS, although mine is IBS-D. The original infection started ten years ago after living abroad--a couple of weeks after drinking water from a spring and eating some questionable shellfish. It took one year for my doctors to realize that the D wasn't only related to stress in my life. I had significant improvement following treatment with an antibiotic, but I've had the IBS-D to deal with ever since. Also, I feel as though it took me four years to recover fully from the infection itself, which wasn't manageable by diet. Recently, just last year, I had to deal with a possible reoccurence of the original infection--although doctors could only go by my symptoms because tests didn't actually show anything. I've heard that doctors in the U.S. aren't as educated about such infections.

However, I was lucky to find a GP who had studied medicine abroad and had even had an intestinal parasite. He was able to diagnose me quickly and provide me some tips. So, Ruchie's post just reminded me of something this doctor said. He mentioned that it's common for people to be intolerant of wheat and gluten for a period of time following an infection and after receiving treatment for that infection. I don't remember the exact details or explanation, but I think it had something to do with the infection being in the small intestine and the time it would take for it to "heal." Did any of your doctors mention this to you? I'm sorry I don't have more information, but I think it's worth looking into especially if you're not getting any relief after following the IBS diet for eight months. As for myself, I believe that I'm not only managing the IBS, but I'm still recovering from the trauma of having an intestinal infection, including anxiety from having been sick for so long which just triggers the IBS. Nasty cycle!

Take care,

Re: Post-infectious celiac? new
      #184380 - 06/07/05 12:43 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

VERY interesting! Thank you Maria!!! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2576 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186549

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review