All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
Re: Can I just say one thing... new
      #184016 - 06/06/05 01:52 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand the strength of your reaction. I was asking a simple question, and one that doesn't strike me as "off-topic" or inappropriate to this board: has anyone had success with this diet for IBS-C?
Hi there. First of all, I wasn't just addressing you. I should have made that clearer in my post, sorry about that. It seems like loads of people lately and getting upset, though, and starting to write aggressively against the people who are just trying to offer up suggestions. It's not just you, and I don't think that your initial post and question was a bad thing at all. It was what followed that bothered me.

Ironically, you are venting in almost the same way I was. You don't like it when you perceive that someone is disrespecting you and something you care about (the board). I didn't like it when I thought I was being accused (first indirectly in other posts, then pretty directly in your post) of searching for a "quick fix" or "miracle cure". If you've read any of my previous posts over the past several weeks/months you'd know what kind of effort I've put into making this work for me.
Again, this is something I should have made clear that I wasn't directly at you. I have read a lot of your previous posts and I know that you are trying everything and anything. I know that YOU aren't looking for a quick fix. I know that in one of the posts, someone accused the boards of suggesting that this diet is a quick fix and I wanted to be clear that nobody here believes that.
I'm not "demanding" anything of anyone. I'm here for the same reason everyone else is: to learn, give and receive support and hopefully heal. Part of the learning process for me involves questioning what I am told until I can understand it makes sense to me, until I can understand it fully, until I can verify it in my own experience.

Is there a rule here that I'm not aware of that states I have to accept everything Heather has written and people say here as absolute fact in order to participate? Believe me, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the work Heather & Co. have done and the contribution all of the folks here on the board make. But that doesn't necessarily mean that this approach that worked for her and so many here will work for everyone. And it doesn't mean that everyone who has gut troubles has what is referred to as "IBS".
This is exactly what I was trying to say!! That OF COURSE you don't have to accept that everything Heather has written is an absolute fact! OF COURSE some people won't do as well as others... I really think you misread what I wrote because you basically just made my point for me.. And that is this: For some people, the diet works. For others, it doesn't. This board is about the diet, not about all ways of dealing with IBS because most people here are using this diet at this moment in time to try and get better. There are some parts that don't work for me either.

If I offended you in any way, I apologise. Like I've said, it wasn't just directed at you or at the original post. I should have been more clear.

You have to try and understand that it gets exhausting dealing with this, and then trying to help people who sometimes lash out because it's not working for them. I understand it, but I'm also a person who does take things personally sometimes.. That's why I brought up the issue of people belittling what people with IBS-D are going through.

I really hope that you do find something that helps you, I truly do. I get that for you, the diet isn't working. I totally understand that, I am not one of the people that thinks it will work for everyone. So here's hoping you find something that does and that when you do, you can share it with other people.

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#184017 - 06/06/05 01:54 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Quote:

Newbies: This board is about Heather's recommendations. Try them for a few months -- I'd say 6 months minimum -- and then if they don't work, go elsewhere. That's all.

Amen Amanda Panda.

#184021 - 06/06/05 01:57 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Again, this is not directed at any particular poster.

I think the main problem is that people don't realize that we don't HAVE to care about strangers' health (though Heather has a financial stake in caring). If people's tone sounds hostile, unceasingly cranky, or start calling people names, or forget that everyone else is suffering as much as they are, then nobody *owes* them any help or answers.

#184025 - 06/06/05 02:07 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Thanks for your heartfelt reply Steph. We're on the same page.

For the record, I am not one of those folks who thinks there's any point whatsoever in comparing "D" to "C" to "A". AmandaPanda said it best! "And let me just say, asking if D or C is better is like asking if you'd rather be burned alive or eaten by sharks. It's a silly debate. We all suffer, and nobody gets extra points for having a worse situation."

Chris

Re: It's helped me! new
      #184028 - 06/06/05 02:15 PM
badlydrawnboy

I'm so torn on the Miralax. It seems to be that one thing that creates a shift for so many of the IBS-C folks when everything else has failed.

And yet I'm really scared that if I get on Miralax it will be habit forming and further damage my colon's natural peristaltic action.

Has this been a concern for any of you taking Miralax? How did you make the decision? Also, does it tend to cause gas/cramps in you, or not?

I'm coming to realize that I'll never be able to identify triggers if I can't get my bowels moving. Fiber and probiotics make the C worse. Nothing I've tried works without causing more gas, bloating and pain.

Perhaps I could take Miralax until I can stabilize and identify my triggers, and then gradually wean myself off of it after I've eliminated the triggers. Maybe once I get the cramping/gas/pain under control with diet I won't need the Miralax anymore. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks to everyone for your support and feedback. I really appreciate it.

Chris

Actually... new
      #184035 - 06/06/05 02:47 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Mirilax is not a stimulant, so it won't cause cramping. It works by using the moisture that you have in your colon to "encourage" movement... you just need to make sure you drink lots and lots of water with it and after taking it in order for it to be effective. Bloating & gas, unfortunately are common side effects of taking it until you get adjusted to it. Also, unfortunately, Mirilax IS habit forming.

For myself, it was a matter of continuing on the way I was or trying something new. The fact that it worked so well for me helped me decide that I was going to accept that I may have to take it for the rest of my life. It was either that, or the possibility that I could go back to being C forever.

Currently I'm pregnant, and well, things have been moving for me without the help of Mirilax. However, if I weren't, I'm fairly certain that because of the help it gave me in finding my triggers, I would eventually be able to wean myself from it... if I felt comfortable & confident enough that is, that I could go on without it.

Just to give you an example of how well it worked for me, I was barely going twice a week before I started it. I was having issues with severe pain because I would get stool caught underneath my ovaries. Within just a couple of days I started going regularly. And within a couple of weeks, I was at 2-3 times per day, which for me was more normal.

There are a few of us on here that rely on Mirilax... you should do a search for it. I'm sure you'll find a ton of useful info.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: Actually... new
      #184058 - 06/06/05 03:43 PM
badlydrawnboy

Thanks Rachel. That was very helpful.

I suppose if I have to choose between being severely C for the rest of my life, or dependent upon Miralax, I'd choose the latter. And, I'm still holding out hope that like yourself I may not have to take it forever.

Do you know how long one would have to take it for it to be "habit forming"? A month, a year, five years?

Thanks again,
Chris

Re: Actually... new
      #184062 - 06/06/05 04:06 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

That I don't know... sorry. My guess though would be about a month?! I'm sure it really depends on the individual.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: And by the way... new
      #184079 - 06/06/05 04:40 PM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I am an IBS-C. I have had success with Heather's diet but I had to make some changes just for me. I have not given up the Zelnorm that I am on or the Milk of Magnesia I take every night. I also found that IF, even if I eat SF first just doesn't work for me. I have just added fresh watermelon to my diet but that is the only raw fruit I have eaten in 3 months. I found a list of low fiber or what they call low residue foods and I stick with that pretty much.

I am sorry you are having such difficulty. I went through years of problems before I finally was given a Sitz Marker test where they can tell how long it takes stuff to go through your intestines. It was very revealing. That is when they finally put me on Zelnorm.

What ever it is in this combination seems to be working for me. I haven't been in the hospital due to pain/impacted stool since end of January. I found this diet shortly after that stay. I rarely have pain and I haven't been constipated. I sometimes have the opposite problem but that is okay right now, I would rather have that although it is inconvenient.

I hope some of this helps.
Jamie

not on the diet... new
      #184081 - 06/06/05 04:53 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I have identified my triggers which are all my own I suppose. I can tolerate a little dairy but not much. I stay pretty much to a lowfat diet but lay off the white bread and sugar. I eat mostly Asian food. There is a spelt bread recipe that was posted here a while back and that keeps me regular as can be.

I struggle with low iron and protein as iron and protein rich foods are not my friend...beans in any shape or form makes me go over the alotted 14 "poofs" a day that we all heard about on Oprah.

I don't think that any one cure will work for everyone...we all have to find our own. I think the time it takes for one to find their "safe food" is stressful to say the least hence the patience thing...there is no point in getting worked up as stress for me is my major trigger!

I pray you find what works for you.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 976 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186458

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review