All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
About IBS-C......and Heather's diet (VENTING!) new
      #183867 - 06/06/05 07:10 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I, too, have been so frustrated by this diet & by others who seem to think just adding fiber to my diet will cause my lifelong IBS-C problems to resolve.

I do think that Heather's diet helps because it's low fat, but it simply is not a miracle cure for me either. I still have to take medication pretty much every day (Miralax), and then sometimes Zelnorm.

Having said that, I'll admit that last week I had a few drinks & ate some pizza (not all on the same day). Oh my gosh, did I have the WORST cramp attack I think I've ever had after eating the pizza. This was pain that double me over & took my breath away. I've been able to eat pizza before, but this time must have been the proverbial straw on the camel's back. The cramping lasted a few hours after dinner, and then when I woke up the next day it came back for 5 hours. I was alternately cramping & going to the bathroom. (so atleast I went, but the pain wasn't any fun)

I don't know what caused that. But I was starting to feel discomfort BEFORE the drinks & the pizza. Which makes me think that not only do I need to cut back on the drinks & pizza, but I better add more salads to my diet. Sometimes I think Heather's diet simply has too many starches in it. (Rice, potatoes, bread) Those can totally bind me up.

This IBS-C is the PITS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Not really... new
      #183882 - 06/06/05 08:10 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I gained a lot of weight on the IBS diet and stayed "C". I was on it for a while before I even came to this board. I have identified my list of triggers which may or may not be the same as others.

Don't be legalistic...be patient...it takes time.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Poochibelly new
      #183936 - 06/06/05 10:43 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So are you on this diet or have you found something else that is helping you?

It sounds like it didn't help you, but then when you said "be patient" I thought maybe you were still on it?

How did you identify your triggers and how are you helping your C?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Does this diet work for anyone with IBS-C? new
      #183945 - 06/06/05 11:26 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I can say that you're probably not going to get any relief from your bloating/gas/pain until you can relieve some of your C. Just in case you didn't already figure that one out.

Quote:

...oils and fats seem to have a beneficial effect on my body in moderation ...

That's good. This isn't a no-fat way of eating. It's good to get fats in, especially the healthy kind.

Have you ever noticed anything else that's helped relieve you any, other than the fats/oils and dairy? I mean, something you've ever noticed that got things moving? For me, honey gets me going. Not D or pain or anything, but just that "whew!", clean ya out kinda thing. Then, one day I found out it was a natural laxative (or so they say). Anyway, I can't eat too much of that in one day! LOL So, was just wondering if you ever noticed anything like that that worked for you. (Some on the boards found that Lower Fat Oatmeal Molasses Cookies.)

Hope you get some relief soon. I hate seeing when people suffer.

#183952 - 06/06/05 11:36 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

In general, one of the most difficult aspects of figuring this out has been that I have not been able to clearly identify what triggers me. Why? Because I have never gotten to a place of being symptom free, from which I could slowly add back in potential trigger foods and see how they effect me.

Even on the "breaking the cycle" diet, I still experience gas/bloating/pain (though somewhat reduced). This may be, as you suggest, partly because of the constipation (which is made much worse by the BTC diet.

Chris

Can I just say one thing... new
      #183957 - 06/06/05 11:41 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I read this thread of posts, and I have to say that it really started to get under my skin.
I don't want to cause any arguments, I don't want to get in the middle of anything but I felt it necessary to just say some things that bothered me out of respect for this board.

We all understand how frustrating and upsetting IBS can be. We all know how it feels to just want to scream and shout or get angry at SOMEONE because it's so d@mn hard to go through every day living with this like we do. Honestly, though, don't take it out here. Please. Tell us you're upset, we'll say we understand. Tell us you're so angry that you could hit something, we'll say "Me too!" but don't take out those feelings on the people that are trying to help you.
It seems that all too often people coming here looking for a quick fix, or for a "miracle cure" when it is stated over and over again that there is no such thing. There is no miracle cure for IBS, PERIOD. Not on this site, not at any doctor's office, not anywhere.. not yet anyway. So don't get angry at _US_ on the website for not providing you with something that doesn't exhist.
I have been IBS-D since I was 7 years old. I am really started to get agrivated by people coming on this site and telling me that I am so much better off. One of the reasons I come to this site is that there are people here who, for once, WON'T belittle my symptoms and what I am going through.

The last thing I want to say is this: This website is designed by Heather, and maintained by Heather and is about something that Heather found that worked for her. It is out of the goodness of her heart that she shares so much of her information for free, and that it HAS helped so many people. I find it very confusing that people on here get upset when this is the information they find here. This is what this site is about - this is the diet that most of us have found success on, this is the support group that we have formed to try and use our EXPERIENCES with THIS DIET to help other people. People are trying to help.. they aren't paid for this, they don't get anything out of it.

I myself answer as many questions as I possibly can on this board while working one job full time and one job part time, and balancing the rest of my life as well. I want to help, I want people to feel better.. I get that we won't be able to help everybody, but at least we're trying.

If this diet hasn't helped you, I am so very sorry. I am sorry that you are suffering and furthermore I am sorry that because this diet is the thing that helped ME that I don't have any other ideas for you. I wish that the diet was a perfect fix for everyone, but clearly it isn't. The same as anything else.

If you need to go elsewhere to try other diets and things, we aren't telling you not to. If the diet doesn't work for you, there is no reason for any of us to demand that you carry on with it... we don't get anything out of that! If you find something else that works, and hang around here for the support and some of the other ideas (exercise, herbal teas, stuff like that) then great! But please, don't get aggressive with the people who are only trying to help.

Thanks,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#183961 - 06/06/05 12:07 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Yeah, I wouldn't go on that BTC if I was you. It seems like it's just clogging you up more. I know when I swing C-ish, with the sluggish occasionall BM's, I get bloated, gassy, and pain. When I finally am going, those symptoms are greatly relieved. That's what makes me think that will get better once you can get the C going - like a domino effect. Now the problem is...what can get you to go....

Re: Can I just say one thing... new
      #183978 - 06/06/05 12:42 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Right on.

Quote:

I have been IBS-D since I was 7 years old. I am really started to get agrivated by people coming on this site and telling me that I am so much better off. One of the reasons I come to this site is that there are people here who, for once, WON'T belittle my symptoms and what I am going through.

Well I was D, and now I'm A. And let me just say, asking if D or C is better is like asking if you'd rather be burned alive or eaten by sharks. It's a silly debate. We all suffer, and nobody gets extra points for having a worse situation.

Newbies: This board is about Heather's recommendations. Try them for a few months -- I'd say 6 months minimum -- and then if they don't work, go elsewhere. That's all.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

It's helped me! new
      #183983 - 06/06/05 12:59 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

But I will say that it took me a long time to figure it out! I started the diet in July of '04 and though I got a little immediate relief, I wasn't really stable until January. The diet does wonders for me, but to be completely honest, I didn't find real stability until after I started taking Mirilax, during which time I was able to find my triggers.

It takes a while to figure out what are actual triggers for your body and what you can tolerate, but it's worth it. All I can say is keep keeping on, you WILL eventually find relief.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: Can I just say one thing... new
      #184015 - 06/06/05 01:42 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

I'm not sure I understand the strength of your reaction. I was asking a simple question, and one that doesn't strike me as "off-topic" or inappropriate to this board: has anyone had success with this diet for IBS-C?

Ironically, you are venting in almost the same way I was. You don't like it when you perceive that someone is disrespecting you and something you care about (the board). I didn't like it when I thought I was being accused (first indirectly in other posts, then pretty directly in your post) of searching for a "quick fix" or "miracle cure". If you've read any of my previous posts over the past several weeks/months you'd know what kind of effort I've put into making this work for me.

I'm not "demanding" anything of anyone. I'm here for the same reason everyone else is: to learn, give and receive support and hopefully heal. Part of the learning process for me involves questioning what I am told until I can understand it makes sense to me, until I can understand it fully, until I can verify it in my own experience.

Is there a rule here that I'm not aware of that states I have to accept everything Heather has written and people say here as absolute fact in order to participate? Believe me, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the work Heather & Co. have done and the contribution all of the folks here on the board make. But that doesn't necessarily mean that this approach that worked for her and so many here will work for everyone. And it doesn't mean that everyone who has gut troubles has what is referred to as "IBS".

I'm happy to know the diet has been helpful for you. Me? I'm still looking for answers, and I will continue to search here until I'm satisfied that this program will work for me, or not work for me. I'm not there yet, and so I continue in my exploration.

And that exploration includes a lot of research into the etiology and differentiation of "IBS", which most researchers and authors who are on the forefront in this field believe is basically a catch-all term. In fact, Michael Gershon, in his recent book "The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Small Intestine" says that we will very likely discover in the next 10-20 years that what we now call "IBS" is actually several distinct disorders that we simply don't yet understand.

Other recent research positively links bacterial overgrowth to IBS, and has shown antibiotic treatment of that overgrowth to lead to a greater reduction of symptoms than any published research to date.

Clearly, there's a lot going on here we don't understand. Because there are likely many different causes for what people are going through, there will likely need to be many different treatments.

So, I keep searching.

Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186522

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review