All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
Re: Does this diet work for anyone with IBS-C? new
      #183770 - 06/05/05 06:10 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Hi Sand,

I think the tricky thing is this: I get that it could take 2 weeks to improve the "C", but wouldn't I expect to see some improvement in the other symptoms along the way? Otherwise, what would lead me to believe that I'm "improving" rather than simply going along as I was?

P.S. How do I "bump" this post as you suggest?

Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#183799 - 06/05/05 08:33 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Hi, Chris.

Quote:

I think the tricky thing is this: I get that it could take 2 weeks to improve the "C", but wouldn't I expect to see some improvement in the other symptoms along the way? Otherwise, what would lead me to believe that I'm "improving" rather than simply going along as I was?

Unfortunately, I can't answer that from experience. I started to feel better almost as soon as I started eating as Heather suggests. You could take the attitude that since nothing else is working anyway, you're going to just do the diet for x amount of time regardless of whether you improve along the way. I know some people have said it took considerably longer than 2 weeks for them to see any improvement.

I have read your other posts in this thread and from what I can tell, you're reporting that you have been following Heather's diet for some amount of time and it's not working. Despite that, the only suggestions I can make are to start over with the BTC diet for a few days, then slowly add in IF and protein and/or to stay on Heather's for an extended period of time - at least a month, possibly as long as three months.

I'm NOT saying that you're doing the diet wrong or you're not trying hard enough and I'm certainly not saying you don't "want" to heal. (Don't get me started on the whole "illness is all in your mind" approach. You'll never hear the end of it.) I'm just saying those are the only suggestions I have. If you feel you've given Heather's diet a whole-hearted try and it just isn't working, then I don't have any other advice I can give you.

I am sorry. As I said, this diet was such a boon for me that I'd like to think everyone with IBS could benefit from it.

Quote:

P.S. How do I "bump" this post as you suggest?

Just post anything to this thread. Traditionally, people put "Bump -nt-" in the Subject line and, of course, no text. That pops it to the top of the queue, so it's more likely to be seen. You might put "Bump for C people -nt-" since that's who you most want to hear from.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

You know... new
      #183801 - 06/05/05 08:43 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I bristle when I'm accused of being "dogmatic". I'm a busy gal, I work from home, I have a family, I have a social life, plus I'm a moderator here and I'm involved in other internet "communities". I can't remember everyone's details, so I give answers to questions based on my own experiences and those of people I know who may or may not have time to post as often as they used to.

My general point is that if you've been doing the diet, etc for a month and you have no improvements yet, keep at it - you haven't given yourself enough time. As I stated, it took me a year to stabilize.

However, if you've been doing it for 8 months and still see no change at all, then draw your own conclusions, decide it isn't working for you, and try something else. There's no rule against that kind of thing here.

Good luck to you.

And by the way... new
      #183803 - 06/05/05 08:48 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My advice was NOT to go back to eating IF... my advice was to add it back in safely, which is not the same thing.

If you were living on salads, whole grains, lots of roughage, you were just aggravating your system more. My advice to eat them SAFELY means to eat as many as you can in a day, but eat them with some soluble fiber to cushion it in your system. Above and beyond the SFS and other supplements, this really does help.

I USED to be a straight D. When I started the IBS diet, I went straight C (until I started on antidepressants). I have enough experience dealing with C to know what I'm talking about, thank you.

#183805 - 06/05/05 08:52 PM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

I am a C-er and nothing but a C-er. Most definitely. I will tell you that the PEPPERMINT CAPS have been one of the BEST products I have ever tried! They really helped. The diet has take-away value, but I individualize it for myself. Bor example, avoiding fruit and vegetable skins was right on target, but eating oils seems to help, not hurt my condition. Navigate around the rest of the board to answer other questions. Good luck!

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

Re: I agree with Casey too... new
      #183808 - 06/05/05 08:57 PM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

If you want, e-mail me? I have a small network of IBS-C people who may be there to give support if you'd like that?
karenfromkansas@sbcglobal.net

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

Re: And by the way... new
      #183827 - 06/06/05 02:59 AM
badlydrawnboy

I was not living on salads and IF. Far from it. For five years now I have been aware of how IF can make things worse for me if I'm not careful. In fact, I cannot eat legumes (including soy, which is a nightmare food for me in any form), beans, cruciferous and raw veggies at all. On the other hand, oils and fats seem to have a beneficial effect on my body in moderation (yes, even small amounts of dairy) and if I eliminate them totally, I feel horrible and my symptoms get worse.

I apologize for accusing you of being dogmatic. I just get very upset when I perceive (perceive being the key word here) that I am being told there is one way that works and it works for everyone no matter what end of story. That's not my experience, in any aspect of life.

Again, I mostly wanted to hear from IBS-C folks for whom the diet/program has been extremely helpful in relieving both their constipation and the gas/bloating/pain at the same time.

So far, no one has replied with that kind of report. I'd LOVE to hear it, believe me. It would give me some much needed encouragement and incentive to continue.

Chris

#183828 - 06/06/05 03:07 AM
badlydrawnboy

Again, I really appreciate your support Sand.

Fortunately or unfortunately for me, I am aware of several other approaches to healing digestive disorders (such as the Body Ecology Diet mentioned elsewhere in this thread). That means that in fact I DO have other options (in my mind, at least) to consider if this diet isn't working.

That's part of the reason I'm asking so many questions, and why I get so frustrated when people seem to suggest there is only one way to get at this. Because I can go right over to the Body Ecology Diet message boards, for example, and there will be a whole other group of people that will tell you that eating wheat, most grains, soy, processed foods and sugar are POISON if you've got a gut-related problem. It is almost an opposite approach to Eating for IBS. They'll also tell you that the Body Ecology Diet changed their life and they'll do it because they really want to help and share something that was so valuable for them. Just like here.

The frustration comes to those of us who don't have the "life-changing" experiences frequently referred to by the people on the boards. Those of us still looking for answers.

Chris

Bump for IBS-C people -nt- new
      #183829 - 06/06/05 03:11 AM
badlydrawnboy

Re: And by the way... new
      #183858 - 06/06/05 06:47 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

According to my doctor I am primarily IBS-C, though it manifests itself as D. Something about build up of water in the system or something. Anyway, I have found the diet very helpful in working to eliminate gas and bloating. When I follow it strictly I get good results.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 211 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186569

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review