All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
Re: Pumpkin seed butter... new
      #185411 - 06/10/05 08:41 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thanks Chris!

How are you feeling these days?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#185414 - 06/10/05 09:03 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Same as when I started this post, unfortunately! (Seems like ages ago, huh? )

Since those antibiotics my colon has felt completely paralyzed. Everything I eat seems to just sit there, no movement at all. I have less cramping, gas and pain but as I get more and more constipated that's coming back too.

I'm stopping the Acacia for now and just sticking with Miralax, which I recently started (very reluctantly), to get things moving. When that happens, I'll probably start up with a different SFS and wean myself off of the Miralax. I'm also doing "digestive yoga" every day to try to stimulate and strengthen the muscles in my gut, get them flexing again! Perhaps if I start having regular BMs I can try a probiotic again... in the past they've always made things worse, but I suspect that had something to do with the bacterial overgrowth I had before the antibiotic treatment.

My sense is that for me the main problem is constipation. But, how do I resolve that problem without causing more gas, bloating and pain? That's the million dollar question.

I'm going to try acupuncture again and maybe biofeedback as well. I'm 60 days into the hypnosis program, and while it is relaxing, I don't notice any changes in my gut symptoms.

I guess there's always voodoo and aura healing if this doesn't work
(no offense to any voodoo or aura healing practitioners! In fact, call me!)

Chris

#185418 - 06/10/05 09:17 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Chris!

Antibiotics GAVE me my IBS at age FIVE!

I would take out sugar for starters and I would consider removing gluten and yeast as well. I'm not sure how I feel about the candida theory/ Bu I can tell you what I've done that has helped me! No dairy, sugar (except some fruit...not even honey...just a bit of stevia here and there). No gluten. I will have yeast on occasion. Now I have alcohol for Shabbos sparingly but I didn't drink any lcohol for about a year or two. I basically have gotten to a point where I notice how food makes me feel quickly! For example, the smoothie I made this morning that I posted about on the boards had too much sugar for me. I feel lethargic and lighteaded/spacey now!

Let me know if you want more info.

You WILL heal!

Take care, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Jess?? new
      #185419 - 06/10/05 09:21 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What kind of ginger do you eat before a meal??? The kind you find in the produce market? You just eat that raw? Or do you eat something like crystallized ginger or perhaps take ginger capsules?

Or do you use the spice in your food?

I would love to try this.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Speaking of Pumpkin seed butter... new
      #185456 - 06/10/05 10:44 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I have some, and I have NO idea what to do with it!! I'm allergic to peanuts and sensitive to nuts so I've never had any kind of nut butter and I'm just clueless! It's pretty strange stuff.

--------------------

Re: Not sure which thread to post this reply.. new
      #185556 - 06/10/05 01:55 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

No, cooking MINIMISES the IF. So if you peel zucchini (removing MOST of the IF) and then cook the flesh, the little remaining IF is so minimised so you might as well count the food as being a totally SF food - as so little IF is left.

Minimises, not removes, okay? NOT black and white.

In your reply... new
      #185575 - 06/10/05 02:27 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

you said peeling and cooking minimizes the IF. What I am so confused about, obviously , and embarrassingly too, is if just cooking without doing the peeling minimizes the amount of IF or just makes it more digestible.

I thought Sand's post said it does NOT minimize the amount of IF, just helps to make it more digestible.

Sorry, guys...I'm trying here... thanks for your patience.

Hey! (The other Jessica) new
      #185577 - 06/10/05 02:30 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hi Augie! How are you? STill waiting for my GI results. I saw this post too about Ginger, so I was at the store today and picked some up...only 3.95....they are capsules and the lady there said they are great for digestion. I'm going to try some today and use them for a few days and see what happens. It was very expensive, so it's worth a shot.

Jessica

Re: In your reply... new
      #185579 - 06/10/05 02:31 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Minimising the IF makes it easier to digest. As we know, SF only foods are easy to digest! HOWEVER we all need IF to be healthy and if you're prone to C you need IF even more to help prevent the C.

So you could peel an apple - and that will reduce the IF - OR cooking will minimise the IF that's there, so if you do both, you really minimise the IF in the apple.

Anyway, you NEED IF.

Linz/Cyndy - let's try it this way. new
      #185592 - 06/10/05 03:57 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm going to make up numbers here, so don't worry about the amounts I'm using - who knows how much fiber a zucchini actually has and frankly, after all this, I'll probably never be able to eat another one. Funny, they look so harmless in the store, cute, almost friendly.

A zucchini has 10 grams of fiber, broken down like this:

4 grams of IF in peel
1 gram of SF in peel

4 grams of SF in meat (innards, inside, pulp)
1 gram of IF in meat

So, the whole zucchini has 5 grams of IF and 5 grams of SF. If you take that poor little zucchini, chop it into a million pieces, cook it to death, and puree it, it still has 5 grams of IF and 5 grams of SF. The IF is easier to digest because it's been chopped, cooked, and pureed, but the amount of IF is the same - 5 grams.

If you take another identical zucchini and peel it, now the meat that's left has only 5 grams of fiber: 4 SF and 1 SF. If you now take just the meat and chop, cook, puree it, it still has 4 grams of SF and 1 gram of IF.

In other words, if you physically remove part of the zucchini by peeling, you can change the amount of IF (and the amount of SF, but who cares?).

However, chopping, cooking, and pureeing do NOT change the amount of IF - they just make it easier to handle.

(The next time we do this, can we please pick a vegetable that's easier to type than "zucchini"?)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (06/12/05 03:18 PM)

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 639 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186451

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review