All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
Ah ok! new
      #185315 - 06/09/05 11:45 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Unfortunately it's not that black and white as the "safety" methods are about minimising IF NOT getting rid of it exclsuively.

Eg. Zucchini peel is a good source of IF, but cooking it makes it easier to digest. Zucchini flesh is like apple flesh - raw it has a small amount of IF, but if you cook it then you can consider it to be SF.

I think Sand and Heather have covered this in more detail now, but let me know if not.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

EVERYONE needs IF! new
      #185318 - 06/10/05 12:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

This is so important! I'd only recommend taking almost all of it out of your diet if you're majorly D AND then only til you start to stabilise. You C's need even more IF than the rest of us. I've realised now that I've actually been eating way more IF than many of you C's and I'm an A, tending towards D!

Eating IF safely does NOT mean trying to exclude it from your diet. We all need it and ESPECIALLY if you get C.

Plus...Why on Earth would any IBS-er eat PRUNES (which are so harsh) when they not eating regular sources of IF. I think that would trigger an IBS response in anyone...no IF and then a highly concentrated source.

Re: FROM ONE "C"-IBS to many others.......... new
      #185329 - 06/10/05 04:38 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I was a strict IBS-D at first - but once I became stable on the diet -- I then started to go more IBS-A. I tried switching to Acacia fiber then too. I got constipated then too. It was pretty bad - when I could go, they were dry and painful stools. So, I switched to Citrucel. My body balanced back out. Sometimes you just need a different SFS. I think Acacia is perfect and great for most things -- just didn't work for me. Thought I'd share my experience since you guys were talking about something like it. Maybe it'll help.

Re: AC new
      #185364 - 06/10/05 06:43 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Yep, I do eat all those other fruits. Admittedly, I don't eat huge amounts at one sitting: one banana or a handful of berries/cherries, or one sliver of melon. I know my limits! Oh, and I do eat peaches and nectarines when they're in season and don't peel them unless it's a *really* fuzzy peach.

The green bean salad would be slighly cooked green beans - still snappy, but not chewy-raw. Marination also softens them up a bit. Salade Nicoise is tuna and green beans and potatoes and (um) olives and some other good things - it's a fairly safe choice in a French restaurant if they'll give you the dressing on the side.

I'll give you a wave right back, neighbor! I live in Oak Park, but not in a Frank Lloyd Wright house...

--AC

Linz/Sand/Casey/Heather??? new
      #185365 - 06/10/05 06:44 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I thought I had this all figured out from Sand's and Casey's posts, but now I'm confused again. Please bare with me, okay? I really am trying to grasp this as it could really help me.

I thought cooking, pureeing kept the IF intact and allowed the amount of IF to remain the same in the fruits/veggies, but just made the IF easier to digest.

I thought that only peeling the fruit/veggie removed the IF.

So, if you leave the skin on, but still cook or puree with the skin on , or cook and puree grean beans (that don't have a skin), that the amount of insoluble fiber would remain unchanged.

Again, I thought only peeling removed the IF??

This part of your reply seems to contradict this:
"Zucchini flesh is like apple flesh - raw it has a small amount of IF, but if you cook it then you can consider it to be SF".

What am I missing here guys? I'm sorry to posting on this subject, but it's an important basis of the diet.

Thank you so much!

Re: Linz/Sand/Casey/Heather??? new
      #185387 - 06/10/05 07:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Cyndy, I believe you're absolutely right about chopping/cooking/pureeing NOT chaging IF and I think Linz does, too. Her whole quote is:

Quote:

Unfortunately it's not that black and white as the "safety" methods are about minimising Insoluble Fiber NOT getting rid of it exclsuively.
Eg. Zucchini peel is a good source of IF, but cooking it makes it easier to digest. Zucchini flesh is like apple flesh - raw it has a small amount of IF, but if you cook it then you can consider it to be SF.

(I added the colors for clarity and emphasis.)

Pretty much ALL fruits and vegetables are a mixture of SF and IF. In general, for peelable ones, most - but not all - of the IF is in the peel and most - but not all - of the SF is in the flesh (meat, insides, innards). I think what Linz is saying here is that in zucchini, most of the IF is in the peel, but there's still some in the flesh, also. Peel the zucchini and you get rid of most - but not all - of the IF. Cook the flesh and you make the IF in there so easy to digest that, combined with how little there is to begin with, you can eat it as if it's all SF.

I guess when I think about it this way, I understand why people keep asking if they need to cook mangoes or papayas - they must have at least some IF, also. Which I guess also goes back to my, "I eat raw carrots and potatoes. Isn't that okay because they're SF?"

Okay, here's my new stance. The SF foods on Heather's list are SF whether they're raw or cooked. However, since all SF foods contain at least a little IF, too, they're safest if cooked. Probably - this is a stretch, here - the crunchier the SF food is, the better it is to cook it. So, applesauce, bananas, mangoes, papayas, avocados - not crunchy, definitely no cook. Carrots, potatoes - crunchy, cook. Zucchini - somewhere in the middle, probably okay raw, but cook if you want to be sure it's safe.

I did a long post on this last night which agrees with your understanding of IF/SF and which I'm now going to update with my new stance on cooking SF foods. I started a new thread because I was getting hopelessly lost trying to follow who's responding to whom in what part of this thread - especially since the indentation has slid so far over to the right that it's now slid back to the left! Plus, there are now so many responses that my Mac is making funny noises when I ask it to go into this thread - even in Threaded mode. I think it would just throw up if I asked it to try Flat mode.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pumpkin seed butter... new
      #185394 - 06/10/05 07:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Where do you find it? I thought I'd seen everything...almond butter, sesame oil....never seen/heard of pumpkin seed butter! Is there another name for it?

Maria...it's funny to me that you call Tahini sesame seed butter. To me, it is an Israeli "dip" or "spread"! I find it so interesting how we all have different names for things depending on cultural backrounds!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Reglan killed me! new
      #185395 - 06/10/05 07:58 AM
serpentes3

Reged: 06/07/05

Major Bummers! I had a similar reaction-It made me anxious. I took it for ~6 months for diabetic gastroparesis. Using a more gentle approach, I have found that eating ginger before a meal and chewing gum after a meal helps to stimulate digestion. I hope you find something that works well for you.
~Jess

Re: Pumpkin seed butter... new
      #185403 - 06/10/05 08:19 AM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Omega Nutrition is one company that makes pumpkin seed butter. I can get it at several of my local HFS, but I live in San Francisco (which has probably the best HFSs in the world!)

Not sure which thread to post this reply.. new
      #185410 - 06/10/05 08:36 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

As this one is getting beyond mass confusion. But I don't know how to move the reply to the above post over to the new thread!

So, What I thought Linz was saying was that cooking the veggie would remove the IF, not just make it easier to digest. If you look at her last line... "but if you cook it then you can consider it to be SF". So, I interpreted this statement as saying, yes, cooking does remove the IF...

Again, don't mean to beat this to death...just trying to get as much IF in me and as safely as I can.

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186489

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review