All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)
Re: Wind... new
      #185220 - 06/09/05 01:26 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

If I have one of those "notmilks" or "mock milks" I seriously hurl or just feel sick or get D/tummy ache. Even if there is no carrageenan or emulsifier/stabilizer added.

One of my favourite salads, on a stable day is a little spring mix/mesculn topped with lots of roasted mushrooms and a little lemon, balsamic vinegar and dijon/herbs. This is only at the end of a meal, i.e. for dessert? Head lettuce, though, causes intense distress which I won't bother describing.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: insolubles new
      #185247 - 06/09/05 03:23 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Pumpkin seed butter is extremely nutrient rich, pretty low in fiber and very yummy! If you can tolerate small amounts of fat, I highly recommend it.

Re: Acacia and constipation new
      #185248 - 06/09/05 03:30 PM
badlydrawnboy

Currently at 2 tsp, 2x/day of Acacia.

Added roughly 1/2 tsp every two or three days.

Getting a pretty good amount of IF (blended in smoothies and soups mostly) and fats (which I can tolerate pretty well).

I don't know how much this matters. Even strong laxatives aren't working for me since the antibiotics.

Chris

#185259 - 06/09/05 04:11 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I have to admit that about 15 minutes after I posted my questions, I realized I was tending once again toward the "do it harder, do it righter" approach. I apologize for that - I'm beginning to think it's just hard-wired into my brain. Actually, I think it has nothing to do with my brain - it comes straight from my mouth - or fingers - with no cognitive intervention whatsoever.

I do have 2 thoughts. Unfortunately, they're contradictory. First, I'm IBS-D and I take 8 teaspoons of acacia a day, so 4 teaspoons isn't very much. Heather suggests somewhere that IBS-C people may need 4 Tablespoons a day. Even if the acacia doesn't seem to be helping, as long as it's not actively hurting, maybe you could keep going up on the dosage and see if it eventually helps.

Second, Ruchie's advice to drop the acacia and try just the Miralax makes sense in that adding more than one supplement/drug at a time can make it hard to see how each is affecting you.

That's it. I posted a thought about acacia versus other SFS here that might be worth a look. And I started a new post about soluble vs insoluble (peel, chop, cook) here - I was getting lost trying to follow the various streams in this thread. (I think you've established a new record for responses.)

I'm so sorry things aren't improving for you. Please take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: pumpkin seed butter new
      #185278 - 06/09/05 05:02 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I totally agree--it's a nutrient powerhouse, that and hemp. It blends/combines deliciously with some of the more ancient grains (quinoa, amaranth, millet) and greens, too. It's full of MINERALS! Zinc, magnesium to empasize a few. If you can tolerate it it's great for your nerves!

#185286 - 06/09/05 05:36 PM
badlydrawnboy

Thanks once again for pointing me in the direction of a very helpful thread. What would I do without you?

The last message in the thread made a lot of sense to me, and seems to match my experience. I can almost feel the gel "padding" that Acacia is creating in my gut, and it has contributed I think to reducing spasms. However, my problem right now is CLEARLY motility related because even two 17 mg doses of Miralax isn't doing the trick.

The Fruit-Eze definitely did do the trick, but with pretty intense consequences - which in both cases I'd guess was due to the higher IF content. Back in the day, before the antibiotics totally paralyzed my system, I was taking a fiber supplement called FiberSmart with a blend of flax and borage seed (mix of SF and IF) that seemed to work pretty well for me.

I think I will just try the Miralax for a while and see how that goes, then add in the Acacia later. Otherwise it's impossible to know what is affecting me how.

Yeah, I guess this thread is getting pretty big, huh?

Chris

#185300 - 06/09/05 08:17 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

Hi yes i have found this, and mix in some benefiber with it, i might try lowering the acacia dose even morehaving read this.
R

#185301 - 06/09/05 08:25 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I suspected that Acacia made my C worse (or atleast didn't help at all) before, so I stopped for awhile. I just ordered it again for another try. This is my 3rd order of Acacia since November 2004. Will let you know what I think this time around....

Re: Thank you Wind and Badlydrawnboy! new
      #185304 - 06/09/05 10:02 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thanks for telling me about pumpkin seed butter. I've never heard of it! I'll have to see if I can find it at my local HFS. Sounds delicious!

Re: Wow! Sand & Wind, thanks for all the nut/seed butter /tahini info! new
      #185305 - 06/09/05 10:03 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 186565

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review