All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
IBS and sensitivity
      #183264 - 06/03/05 10:21 AM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

How many of you consider yourself to be sensitive people? I may have mentioned this before, but I remember watching movies as a kid where someone would have an ulcer and say, "I got a weird feeling about that person and I could feel it in my gut." I often wonder if our tummy issues are us feeling our emotions in the core center of our bodies. In a symbolic sense, it is our core, and apparently it does have a brain of our own.
I personally am a very sensitive person. I feel all of my emotions, all of my physical sensations, I am sensitive to foods and chemicals, I am very empathetic to other people's emotions, I feel the pain of the world. I have always been this way. I can also be very strong and independent, but as of late, while dealing with all this IBS crap (pun intended!), I've felt more sensitive than ever before- I cry when frustrated, I don't want to go out because I feel effected by the world so much...
Just wondering if you guys experience emotional, physical and spiritual sensititiy as I do...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Whoa, Tinkerbelle new
      #183271 - 06/03/05 10:36 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I just logged on and I got overwhelmed with Tinkerbelle posts! Hon, you need to try and chill out here! You need to stop and read and breath. Not all your questions can be taken care of in one day!

You need to get some other intersts besides this board. Honestly, you need to get a more balanced life...not all based around your problems.

Do you have friends? Maybe get a PT job? Go for walks or take up reading (fun novels) or knitting or doing crossword puzzles? Anything to help take your mind off of your problems all the time.

Your questions are overwhelming and so many here...Why not try reading through old posts and doing some searches to help get some answers to all your questions. Really, most of the answers to your questions can be found in Heathers books and this website links and posts.

Your stress is stessing me out! Please, please try to get into see a counselor or something. Or talk to a doctor about increasing your lexapro. I don't want to sound mean, but I think it would help you greatly to get some help outside of these boards. We all want you to find some peace and it may need to come from getting help in addition to these wonderful boards. Please, consider it. You sound so consumed with your body and mind. You need to get away from it

Re: Whoa, Tinkerbelle new
      #183275 - 06/03/05 10:42 AM
Tinkerbelle

Thanks for your honesty Cyndy, and I totally agree! I know I am overwhelming people and I definatly need outside help. I feel like a bored housewife and these boards help me feel a little less bored and very supported. But yeah I will stop posting here for a little bit.

anyone remember the hypersensitive personality thing? new
      #183277 - 06/03/05 10:45 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Some people discussed a book, I think in the Livingroom, that dealt with (I think it's called) Hypersenstive Personality. I can't do a search right now, but maybe you should. It was pretty interesting.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: anyone remember the hypersensitive personality thing? new
      #183278 - 06/03/05 10:47 AM
Tinkerbelle

I think it's called The Highly Sensitve Person or something like that!

I think I found it! new
      #183280 - 06/03/05 10:50 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Is this the discussion? Are you a HSP? How interesting! This was before I was here, so I can't wait to read about everyone's opinions and experiences.

Re: I think I found it! new
      #183281 - 06/03/05 10:54 AM
Tinkerbelle

Thanks for that thread Maria, it's great!!

Tinkerbelle new
      #183283 - 06/03/05 10:55 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I'm not trying to dissuade you from posting if you have questions. But I am serious when I say you need to find somethings in your life outside the boards and that is fun and non-health focused!

Believe me, I know it is hard to enjoy anything when all we want is for our tummies to feel better. So, we center all our time and energy into trying to get our answers so that we can then start living life. Well, I was like that. And all that happened was a year or more of my life has gone by and all my time was spent reading GI books and trying to find answers. I have nothing else to show for that lost year or two. I will never get it back. So now I am trying to live while also trying to find some relief. I am still very constipated and still in pain every day of my life. But, at least I have my painting, walking, a job now (which I relish as it gets me out amongst people and I can try and distract myself from all the pain). It doesn't go away, but it's hard to do a job and be focused on the pain at the same time.

I have just started counseling, and I think it is helping to be able to just tell someone about how horrible and frustrated I feel.

Try reading more of the posts here. Lots of information can be found in them. Do you know how to use the search button? If not, we can explain it to you if you need some help. It's pretty easy. All the replies people are giving you are from past posts that they have pulled up by doing a search. And go take a walk today! It's good for your tummy and your mind!

Re: Tinkerbelle new
      #183286 - 06/03/05 11:02 AM
Tinkerbelle

Thanks Cyndy, I as I said before I really appreciate your honesty. And thank you for sharing your experiences with me so I have an understanding of where you are coming from. I for sure will take a walk today, I know, it always makes me feel better. I do find that when I am around other people, even if I'm in pain, I always feel at least a little bit better. Yeah I think it was a bad move on my part to totally stop my life to focus completly on healing, but I felt like working was stressing me out and making things worse (weight loss and not sleeping at all), so that's why I decided to drop everything.... now I'm realizing that although I was stressed, I wasn't so focused on this and depressed!
Healing is such a bizarre issue, and I totally understand how a year or two can go by trying to focus on healing and doing nothing else- it becomes a downward spiral. Congradulations for getting your life back and focusing on healing at the same time! I hope to be there soon as well...

Tinkerbelle new
      #183338 - 06/03/05 01:44 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Cyndy has given you some great advice. Please consider getting some additional help for your anxiety, depression. And I also agree that many answers can be found just by taking a deep breadth and reading the older posts, Heathers books, and all her helpful links and posts at the top of the board.

I just feel so badly for you. I know where you're at, honestly. We are very similar in our situations and desparation for relief. We both are trying to pursue answers to help our physical and emotional suffering...to the point that it may be becoming counter productive.

I too am sick. I am desparate for answers. I am depressed, anxious, and so eager for help of any kind. I spend so much time seeking for outside answers, but trying to come to turn more inward now. It is hard. It is so hard.

I also stopped working in order to get a better "grip" on my health situation and you know what happened? I got sicker. I spiraled into a worse, more chronic pain and symptoms. I started back to work Part Time, and I am attempting to work FT now. While it is hard and I may be more stressed, it is an escape and I am not allowing the IBS to rule my ability to perform at least one "normal" activity. Yes, it ruins most other social activities, and most non-working hours are spent with a heating pad and surfing the net for answers. But I think working PT was better than not working at all.

Please consider all the helpful info all the loving folks on this board have offered to you. This board has the most caring, supportive people I know. They really care about each other.

I hope we can grow and experience some relief (emotional and physical) soon.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9822

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review