All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
alcohol
      #18318 - 08/23/03 05:07 PM
johns

Reged: 08/13/03

What exactly is it with beer, that upsets my stomach, im fine while im drinking it but the following day i have some IBS related symptoms even when my stomach has been fine for a month, what ingredient is it which causes the irritation, or is it just the mass consumption in which a young man in university is forced to undertake
any help would be appreciated

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: alcohol new
      #18322 - 08/23/03 05:14 PM
johns

see the perplexing thing is that i dont get symptoms until up to 12 hours after i drink, this is why i dont understand it, usually i know pretty soon if i ate something bad

#18328 - 08/23/03 05:24 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I think it's the alcohol itself that is a GI irritant. Plus, I'm sure the carbonation isn't helping any. Or the mass consupmtion!

Because it's a trigger, it doesn't have to affect you right away - some things take time to bring on the agony. That's why it's so hard sometimes to figure out what your triggers are.

#18355 - 08/23/03 09:39 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

john

all liquor is a gi stimulant...and do i know your pain. i'm also a college student who is frustrated to not be able to partake in that vice. my campus has no dorms or real gathering places other than the irish pub next door. it really sucks to go and not drink, or risk having one and paying for it.

on the other hand, i'm on some pretty good medications so i can squeeze in a drink or two and since it's not often my tolerance has dropped so it doesn't take much to get that good feeling.. saves $$$

amy

#18379 - 08/24/03 09:02 AM
johns

Queenie,
I can manage to drink as much as any other person would, which in my case is a lot of some occasions, because what would college be without the parties... I just make sure i dont have to get up early the next morning for anything when i do drink a lot,
Also. the day following the drinking my stomach feels exactly how you explained it..irritated, its not really painful just an irritation where i go to the bathroom frequently...my IBS is pretty well under control as yours is so im having a better time with the alcohol lately

#19319 - 09/01/03 11:20 PM
Monica

Reged: 08/14/03

I spent most of my college years drinking beer. Since I've had Crohns, I had to stop. The symptoms are not pretty especially when you are trying to have a good time. Presently, if I drink, which is not often, I drink anything with vodka. The next day, or later in the night, I get gassy and have to use the bathroom. But it is nothing compaired to what beer does.

#19322 - 09/02/03 12:36 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

I am relating to this! I'm not a student ,but do like the odd drink or too,well i am scottish afterall
I find that i can tolerate a few beers,i usually buy bottles,as they are not as much volume wise as a pint,though they cost twice as much! If i have eaten a safe meal,this helps as well.But as for wine,no way,it crucifies me the next day.
As long as i am very careful,i can still manage to enjot a few drinks,emphasising the few!
Happy studying!

--------------------
Morven

#19347 - 09/02/03 11:12 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

For those of you who are able to drink I am extremely jealous....I cannot have any alcohol - I wanted to have some this summer while beaching at the beach, but it just doesn't agree with me at all.

Of course, my husband is happy because now he has a permanent DD. LOL.

Does anyone find an alcohol that works for them because I get "D" right away. Atleast within the following hour for sure, which is not worth the trouble at the lake.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#19408 - 09/02/03 06:15 PM
Radar

Reged: 09/02/03

I think it's the combination of yeast/barley/malt + alcohol that does it... beer was the first thing that triggered my IBS (a three-day attack after two bottles of raspberry wheat ale!) and I don't dare touch it now.

Alcohol of any kind is pretty hard on the stomach, so I just don't drink at all now (I have acid reflux as well as IBS). Saves me money anyway!

#19436 - 09/02/03 11:30 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

lana have you tried mikes lemonade it has some alcohl in it.
it tastes like lemonade. it has a few flavors to it.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#19456 - 09/03/03 09:10 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Yeppers! I have tried every type of alcohol and cannot tolerate any of them unfortunately.

But you are right...Mikes is sure YUMMY! I wish I could be fun again LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#19514 - 09/03/03 11:55 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

For me, red wine and certain other alcohols are huge triggers. But I've found that I can have ONE glass of pinot grigio or ONE gin drink and I'll be okay. I can even drink one beer per month, so I splurge and get a good one. But then my accompanying meal has to be abstemious.

I'm still not sure that the college mass consumption of everything didn't cause all my intestinal problems. Be careful out there, johns.

sperry_twiggins

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 767 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2218

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review