All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ZELNORM QUES....!!!!
      #182513 - 06/01/05 10:43 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

I have IBS-C(for 9 years) and it has been really awful for the last year or so. I have tried absolutely everything under the sun and nothing works. I take fiber daily,laxatives, drink water like crazy, and take up to 2 Zelnorms a day. Zelnorm used to work great but then I guess I got used to it and it did nothing. Well last night I took my normal whole pill and within a hour my stomach was just cramping to bad and loud that I could not stand up and my boyfriend was really worried about me. It has never done this to me before and certainly not to this extent. Has anyone else had thing problem with the cramps and terrible D???? It's sad to say but at least it worked I just hated I had to go through an hour of excruciating pain!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ZELNORM QUES....!!!! new
      #182527 - 06/01/05 11:06 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I have had similar issues for the past year but have been on Zelnorm for only about 6 months or less. I have terrible IBS-C and the more fiber, laxatives, and water I drank the worst off I was. I finally stopped the fiber (metamucil, fiber choice, grapenuts, shredded wheat etc). I eat only foods on Heather's diet, take milk of magnesia, zelnorm and potassium pills. Interestingly enough the last time I was in the hospital the dr. said he had noticed my potassium was low the last couple of times. Before he thought it was due to vomting and dehydration however he put me on a Rx dose of potassium for two months. Things were working fine until my Rx was up. I didn't take it for about a week and the C with gas,pain, and bloating was back on a daily basis. This could have been a coincidence I guess, but I choose to go back on the potassium pills and haven't felt like that again.

My guess is your attack may have been triggered by something else. Although you may never know what. Just rest and give your gut a chance to recover-lots of peppermint tea and low residue fiber or soluble fiber (rice pasta etc.)

#182529 - 06/01/05 11:09 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Thanks for the advice. It helps to talk to someone who goes through the same thing. I will try the potassium to see it that helps..couldnt hurt to try!

#182602 - 06/01/05 01:36 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

When I first tried Zelnorm, my doc said to take 1/2 of a 6mg pill 2 x daily. The 1/2 pill gave me those excruciating cramps & horrible D. I stopped taking the Zelnorm, but then tried 1/4 a pill once a day. No cramps or D, but sometimes it didn't work either. Now, I take Miralax every day & then take 1/4 Zelnorm pill just as needed (which isn't very often). That seems to work for me.

When I was on vacation a couple weeks ago, I took 1/2 a Zelnorm pill before bed & in the morning because I'd gotten very C. That (along with Miralax) did the trick. I went "potty" with NO cramps and NO D. (Ironically I'd been having pain & discomfort BEFORE taking the Zelnorm)

I'm sorry you went through such pain. That's horrible.

Re:Miralax questions new
      #182603 - 06/01/05 01:44 PM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

Is the Miralax that you take a prescription drug? s it a pill or liquid? How much and how often do you take it? How is it differnt from MOM?

miralax new
      #182670 - 06/01/05 04:40 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Miralax is a powder that dissolves in any kind of drink, no taste, no grit, you can't even tell it's there. It's only available by prescription. It's an osmotic laxatives, which doesn't get absorbed...it just draws water to the stool...almost like a really powerful stool softener. Works great for some, not for others. For me it's a lifesaver! It works best when you take in combo with other things, zelnorm, fiber, but still works by itself as well. Hope this helps

Jessica

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3186

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review