All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My new "action plan"-and ? on probiotics
      #182391 - 05/31/05 09:31 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Since the Zelnorm is sickly expensive, i think I'll keep a script for it, but I'm going to try the diet, my SFS and a probiotic. So far so good this week,even tho I've had triggers. Actually, is there w week where I haven't lately?

saw a dietitian and it was really the same crap over again. Basically, I paid $40.00 to be told "great, what you're doing is perfect, just get a bit more exercise." Oh well, at least I can rest assured!!

I know I need a probiotic for yeast, but what should I expect to feel/have happen? I will search on this too.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My new "action plan"-and ? on probiotics new
      #182433 - 06/01/05 05:27 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I am a C also, and I added Jarrow EPS as my probiotic about 8 months ago. It takes time to see the full effect, for me about 2 months, but it surely makes a difference! If I run out or forget to take one, the gas, bloat ect...is much worse.

And, for what it's worth, I used to eat sinus decongestants like candy, and since starting my probiotics, I haven't taken a single one!!! Nice benefit!! Probiotics are a great help to the body!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: My new "action plan"-and ? on probiotics new
      #182439 - 06/01/05 06:00 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

A probiotic is supposed to have a broad spectrum of the little guys to be most effective - if I'm not mistaken. I am not an expert on these things. It took me about 3 - 4 weeks to feel a difference on mine. Then the gas & bloating got much better and I just generally felt better overall. They say they help your immune system too. You can do a search and look for brands. I buy Natrol biobeads. They are protected from breaking down until they get to your intestines - so your tummy acids can't kill them. They don't have to be put in the fridge either - so they travel well.

Seriously? I have CONSTANT stuffines... new
      #182692 - 06/01/05 05:45 PM
_Willow

I've been addicted (physically,not mentally) to Otrivin for a DECADE!

I get yeast infections, and i have bloating and gas all the time too. Today it's actually worse than before. I'll be patient.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

PS- I bought a broad spectrum, enteric coated brand. It's Swiss, has a good rep. nt new
      #182693 - 06/01/05 05:47 PM
_Willow

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Seriously? I have CONSTANT stuffines... new
      #182746 - 06/01/05 09:24 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yeast infections suck... :P I don't get them often at all (thankfully!) but my mom used to get them ALL THE TIME. And she's found that taking probiotics daily have really, really helped her - quite amazingly acutally, much more than anything else. They've also helped me too re: IBS - like I think another poster said, it takes a couple of months to notice the effects but they really work for me. You notice if you forget a day. They don't work for everyone (i.e. not everyone needs the extra bacteria) - but it certainly won't hurt, and it does work for a lot of people (like me! )

So hopefully they will work for you on both fronts!!

Just as a side note - is it possible you have a yeast overgrowth in general? I'm just thinking that with the IBS symptoms, the yeast infections, the stuffiness... have you been tested for candida? Tried a eliminating yeast or wheat from your diet? Just a thought... If so, the probiotics will REALLY help you!

Edited by retrograde (06/01/05 09:27 PM)

Re: Seriously? I have CONSTANT stuffines... new
      #182798 - 06/02/05 05:55 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Yes. I ran out for a couple of days of my probiotics, and wham! Stuffy nose! As long as I take my Jarrow...no stuffiness! Nice benefit!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Oh likely... new
      #182970 - 06/02/05 01:57 PM
_Willow

because I get a yeast infection every few months, and the only thing that gets rid of them now is the yeast pill.(Diflucan) so I thought a probiotic would be great. I have asthma and am on steroids that cause yeast, but you know, soluble fiber being my friend and NOT giving tummy problems...I think I best keep going with it. it may have been jjust the shift in diet that started this yeast this time, but I think it's what I have because I am so tired lately and I'm getting good sleep, lots of sun and exercise, and of course, am eating better. My doc and dietitian were useless on this topic, so i came to my gurus!!

Laurel, you can answer ANYTHING!!LOL!!

PS- I have had thrush a time or two as well. I'm convinced that at the very least,t he probiotics will deal with these problems, and if the IBS is better, whoa, dude.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Oh likely... new
      #183095 - 06/02/05 09:40 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Haha *blushing*

By a 'yeast-free diet' I didn't mean going off Heather's diet at all... maybe just relying on yeast-free SF foods more instead of yeasty products? I don't know... Oh steroids, well yeah there you go eh? Culprit located (Oh look at that 'eh'! I sound so Canadian!!!! lol)

And yeah the probiotics will definitely help with thrush too - it's the wonder-pill! lol My mom tried Diflucan for a while (I think, she was on some pill for the infections) and actually found that just the probiotics alone worked better (after a month or two of taking them). Not to talk them up *too* much here (as there are some people on these boards for example for whom they really don't work at all) but it does sound like they'll work well for you! Best of luck

Cool, eh? I love EH!!! new
      #183471 - 06/04/05 11:02 AM
_Willow

It makes me feel like there really IS a national identity in this huge honkin country!

As far as Diflucan goes, yeah, it gives me a horrid tummy ache, and of course, sends me flyin in the D direction for a few days. Not that I mind, but of curse, the ensuing "killer C" sucks big time.

Did I give you the sense that I'd go off heather's diet? He!! no! She's my guru! I just think I need to suck it up and lay off the eating out etc. It's been a celebratory week or two, and i think I have a yeast buildup. But I have faith it'll work. IT WILL WORK OR ELSE!!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1690 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4661

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review