All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
re. can fruits make you fat?
      #182380 - 05/31/05 09:10 PM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Thank you every one for the good suggestions. I am not high in energy as working in an office I have to sit most of the time but try to move inbetween i.e. I go myself to deliver a letter instead of giving it to my peon. This way I get some activity. The suggestion of a smoothie is an excellent idea and since we dont get soy milk here, I will make it with rice milk the recipe of which I managed to find on the net. The problem is that it is so hot and humid in June/July and one does not really want to eat except drink and the cold fruits make you feel good. I will follow your advise and definately do something about. I do take a half hour walk every evening but in this weather I simply wilt away. Thanks again all of you my dear. Jenny

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: re. can fruits make you fat? new
      #182390 - 05/31/05 09:28 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

im glad you asked this question b/c i eat alot of fruits too! i was thinking of my diet and its pretty much based around fruits but i eat the safe one...papaya, mangoes, apples, pears, peaches, blueberries, strawberries..

i dont think they can make you fat b/c theyre just empty calories?? so i dont think you have to worry but sometimes it causes C..i know some say its causes D but when i eat alot of fruit---*of all kinds* i get really C. so i guess do what works for your body! b/c youll know how it responds

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#182404 - 06/01/05 03:41 AM
Jennifer1946

I am IBS-D, and last year my doctor asked me not to take melons and mangoes. I like melons and used to eat the melons with yogurt which the doc. says was the cause of my extreme D. Mangoes are lovely and sweet and I get carried away to eat 3 to 4 mangoes when I come home from work. So last year I had to make this sacrifice and not touch mangoes. This year I am eating them but within limits i.e one mango per day. I dont touch melons as I am afraid of starting the D again. So I now take two or 3 bananas which are really big and good during the morning, one mango with 3 to 4 chickoos in the evening. So far everything is fine but I will have to be careful not to exceed the limit so that the D does not start. However, I always tend to put on weight guess as I grow older the weight comes on. My work in the office keeps me sitting most of the time and I only walk for half an hour in the evening before my meals. Besides this I love food and do tend to eat a lot. Now in June/July it is so hot and humid no one feels like eating food and it is to the fruits that we turn to. Will try and eat within limit. Thanks for the advise. Jenny

#182420 - 06/01/05 04:49 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I think if you eat anything too much it can make you fat. If you are worried about weight, you have to go by how many calories you are taking in overall vs how much you are expending. Some fruits are lowering than others.

banana 105
apple 81
apricots (3) 51
cantaloupe (1 cup) 56
casaba (1 cup) 45
cherries (3) 5

I don't know if all those are safe - I just checked out some calories for you.

#182762 - 06/01/05 10:48 PM
Jennifer1946

Thanks dear, I know now I have to cut down on bananas as I used to eat at least 4 to 6 a day.

#182788 - 06/02/05 05:12 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Yes - they do have on the higher end of calories - but don't cut them out. I know they are on our safe list and are high in good nutrients too. You just might want to balance them with some other lower calorie safe fruit as well.

#182891 - 06/02/05 10:42 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Fruits aren't empty calories... "empty calories" generally refers to something that has calories but has basically no nutrients (like a bag of chips or an ice cream sundae or candy etc etc etc) - so you're eating it to feel full and satiated but you're not getting any benefits from it. And obviously this isn't the case with fruit! Fruit is loaded with good-for-you-stuff (vitamins, nutrients, fiber etc.) Empty calories = bad, fruit = good

I agree with kshsmom - fruits aren't going to make you fat. Eating too much food each day and not doing any physical activity will make you fat. And if you're cutting back anywhere fruit wouldn't be (for me) the first thing to go. If you're worried about weight, I'd first cut out anything that actually IS empty calories (like any junk food) and watch your portion sizes.

HTH!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 670 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review