All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can fruits make you fat?
      #182105 - 05/31/05 12:58 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

For the next two and a half months we will be getting plenty of fruits i.e. mangoes, melons, lechees, cherries, apricots, bananas and plums. During this season I normally live on fruits and so skip dinner at night, having a very light lunch. Is this OK or will it make me put on weight? I find it difficult to lose weight and anything I eat makes me put on weight so want to know if all these fruits will increase my sugar level?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can fruits make you fat? new
      #182107 - 05/31/05 05:48 AM
April1983

Reged: 05/31/05

I am not 100% sure if it will make you gain weight. When i was pregnant with my daughter - i was gaining alot of weight in the summer season and we figured out i was eatting too much fruit - apparently the sugars are high fat.

Not really sure if it would make you gain much weight. I am interested in others replies aswell!

~April

--------------------
~April

IBS-D

#182124 - 05/31/05 07:54 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

As far as weight is concerned, I think all calories are equal, so if you eat more fruit, but cut down on other foods I think your weight will be okay. You might also try to increase your daily activity a little - maybe walk a little more.

If you're following Heather's diet, though, most fruit is insoluble fiber which can be tough on your IBS. Bananas, mangoes, and papayas, are soluble fiber which is perfectly safe, but other fruits are insoluble fiber. Fruits that are insoluble fiber are safer if you peel, chop, cook, or puree them - they're often not as good though. To make things easier on your IBS, try having some soluble fiber before you eat the fresh fruit - it will provide a little cushion. For example, eat a banana or mango first, then the other fruits.

All these fruits sound wonderful - enjoy!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#182136 - 05/31/05 08:15 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Remember, too much of anything can be bad. As Sand said, be careful with the insolubles. Treat yourself to a smoothie. Throw a banana and a cup of fruit with a 1/2 cup soy milk and some ice and a dash of honey in the blender. Yum!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#182177 - 05/31/05 09:23 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Excessive calories cause weight gain. Warning, though: That's a lot of fiberous assorted sugars you're talking about and different individuals metabolize different sugars/fibers differently. It could cause D, gas, bloating, loose stools, etc., among other things. Are you a high energy person? Also, fruit doesn't really keep you FULL for very long, i.e. it digests ULTRA quickly, virtually immediately, because it basically is sugars. It doesn't satiate for very long.

#182286 - 05/31/05 02:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

As for the calories...fruits are pretty good. I find them moderately filling for the calories. But sometimes the calories are higher than you think. Bananas have 100 calories and I eat 2 a day. They are pretty filling too. This link will give you the cals for various foods. You might be eating way more cals in the food you eat now and then lose weight! I try to up fruits and veggies when I try to lose weight.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#182295 - 05/31/05 03:03 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Quote:

apparently the sugars are high fat.

I think you meant to say that sugars are high in *calories*. Most fruit (and sugar in general) are really low in fat.

JMTC
--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 655

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review