All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
my 'pleasure' lol new
      #182367 - 05/31/05 07:37 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

....and, boy, can i relate! who knows what the h...e...double hockey sticks it EVER is, ya know?

ty on the flax tip. do you mean flax oil supplements or just plain flax seed?

i am a chronic C-er. there have been times when i was convinced that flax seed added to my cereal helped. also, i had some success for a while with a boxed cereal called 'Uncle Sam's,' that has flax seed mixed right in. i can't always find that in my area, anymore.

but, because i also have a severe mood disorder, i MUST take meds for that - one helps the C (prozac), but can be is abit too stimulating to my gut without the other, (klonopin) - which smoothes the contractions, helps the bloat, etc., but causes more C (in me). geez. it's a nearly constant micro-managing struggle far too often...still.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: my 'pleasure' lol new
      #182452 - 06/01/05 07:05 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Actually, I do already take flax seed powder in my morning cereal for added fiber. Not sure yet if it is helping or hurting as I am still constipated and having gas as usual.

I was referring to switching the Omega fish oil caplets to just plain Flax oil tablets. I thought (from Retrograde's reply) that maybe it is the fish oil specifically that is causing me problems and not just the oil.

Have you ever tried just plain Flax oil tablets? Or have you given up on these types of supplements altogether?

I've seen that cereal in stores. It's marketed as a Natural Laxative cereal. All that fiber, I assume, because there is nothing "bad" in it. I would think this cereal is totally IF and a bit too harsh for our tummies, especially first thing in the morning. Totally against the principles of Heather's diet approach. But, you gotta do what you gotta do to go sometimes. C totally stinks...and hurts like heck! Sometimes I think I'd take just about anything to get some stuff out of me!

So, Pulse, what are you currently taking to help your C?

I am also on Klonopin and my doctor swears that it isn't causing worse constipation. I don't know about that! I want to try Prozac too. The next time I see my doctor I am going to ask him about it. I was on it years ago but had to quit because it gave me D (back when I was chronic D ) but now that side effect would be a welcomed change. I don't think I would have D, but maybe lessen the C at least.

OIl Smart by Renew Life new
      #182457 - 06/01/05 07:23 AM
Cyndy

Is a fish oil supplement with Lipase included to help digest the fat in the supplement. So maybe this would help better. Unfortunately it still has the "fish" oil and not flax. I read where plain flax oil gave better relief for IBS than plain fish oil.
OH, too many choices!

Re: I thought Omega oils were fish oils new
      #182462 - 06/01/05 07:40 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yes EFAs do have a slight laxative effect. I found this when I was (briefly) taking the fish oil supplements - and being a D, that's not exactly what I'm looking for

However, some people who are C (like Elizabeth (e_mcmaster)) take them for just that reason - to help them go.

When I switched to the evening primrose oil I found them to be much easier to tolerate. I mainly take them to help regulate hormones and keep my IBS from flaring too seriously during my period, but I also find that I 'feel' better on them and it eases my worries that get too little healthy fats in my diet.

If they don't work well for you, clearly don't take them. They're not one of those 'necessary' IBS supplements (if there is such a thing) - so don't worry about discontinuing them.

Retrograde? new
      #182486 - 06/01/05 08:47 AM
Cyndy

Do you take the capsules or the oil? I would think the capsules would be much lower in fat and, thus, safer. I know flax oil has like 11 grams of fat per Tablespoon (like most oils) in the liquid, but the capsules have only 3.5 per 3 capsules.

Re: my currently for C new
      #182611 - 06/01/05 02:05 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

Cyndy,

bear i mind i'm just getting started on taking this whole ibs-c stuff seriously. the last too many years i've been struggling with getting my depression under control...and that has been a full time job, as i'm not one of the lucky ones who can just pop an antidepressant and be 'better than well' year after year.

so, as of now, for my C, i take benefiber chewables, which - oddly - according to heather should, but do NOT make me sick. in fact, they far & away cause me the least distress of any of the OTC sf supplements. i have not tried acacia yet.

i am awaiting a shipment of a fennel liquid; looks like it's taken with a dropper. i tried heather's enteric-coated peppermint with fennel and ginger in it. but, even with the coating, the peppermint did irritate my GERD. durn. i was so hoping! i do occasionally take ginger for nausea. at the moment, knock on wood, i'm not having any nausea.

i have given up almost all dairy, which is hard for me because i do so crave it + milk is one of the top 10 foods that help depression. tomatoes are also on that list, and since they mostly don't irritate my GERD (again, oddly...hey, i lucked out on one whole thing!), they will remain. of course, i do take prevacid, which was a blessing for years, but now i'm starting to wonder about it. i'll save that for another thread.

i'm also waiting for a shipment of magnesium malate pills that one member here recommended. i can't take the liquid version of magnesium citrate, Natural Calm = major gas/ gurgling.

as i recall, i only took Uncle Sams cereal when i made the HUGE mistake of trying effexor - that anti-d, imo, should be banned for us Cs. i've read of many developing ibs-c for the first time in their lives from taking effexor!

right now, after re-introducing my klonopin, it's helping me so much - no nausea, much less bloat, no cramps....except...tada.... increased C. yep, i know the docs won't admit it causes it. phewey on them! idiots!

i openly admit i'm not yet even close to on top of the ibs diet here. i'm still at the point of just perusing all the YUM recipes. i rarely have much of an appetite - neve have had - so how much progress i''ll ever make is up for grabs still.

please let me know if you find a flax oil supp. you like.

Edited by pulse (06/01/05 02:07 PM)

Re: Retrograde? new
      #182745 - 06/01/05 09:20 PM
retrograde

Oh yeah definitely the capsules!

I try to eat mostly fat-free so that I can add small amounts of healthy oils (like olive oil) to my diet - so I do ok with oils in general, but I'm talking really small amounts here - like 1 tsp per meal.

I did try a small amount flax oil in a smoothie a few times (the actual oil) - ugh! It was gruesome for me!! But then, I'm IBS-D! I do put small amounts of olive oil though in protein shakes sometimes (heh, sounds kind of weird I know but you can't taste it) and that doesn't affect me at all. Guess flax oil itself is just a trigger for me.

OK I'm done rambling Hope that helps!

Laurel??? new
      #201126 - 07/30/05 08:48 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Which brand of Primrose Oil do you take? How many milligrams per day?

Do you take a vegetarian form? I can't find one without gelatin. So, where do you get this from?

You are a D, so maybe this wouldn't help me with the C...but the flax oil I think was causing gas, so I thought I'd try Primrose. The primrose says it is good for cramps menstrual cramps too, so maybe they will help with IBS cramps and maybe the constipation by lubricating me???

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Laurel??? new
      #201601 - 08/01/05 11:20 PM
retrograde

Sorry just caught this now Beth... you have mail!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2607 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2150

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review