All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I spent last night in the ER
      #181984 - 05/30/05 09:32 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

because of the worst spasming I've ever experienced. My parents were in town and we went out to dinner, but the pains started before I'd even eaten anything. I'd not eaten any trigger foods in at least the last week and I hadn't gone too long without eating. It's a mystery as to why it happened, but the waves of pain were so bad that I buckled over and actually cried (I never cry because of pain). My fiance took me to the ER and the doctor hooked me up to an IV and gave me some Levacin (sp?) that actually knocked out the pain. Has anyone tried it? He gave me a prescription for it and I was wondering if it continues to work for anyone else.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh No! new
      #181992 - 05/30/05 09:59 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I am so sorry you had to go to the hospital, that sounds just awful! The two times I have ended up in the ER have been because of really horrible, inexplicable pains too. Weird.
I guess sometimes we can just get attacks that come out of nowhere, I just don't get it.

I'm glad they gave you something that took care of the pain, I think the name rings a bell but I have never taken it myself. Good that they gave you a prescription for the med if it works for you, though! Maybe that means if something like this happens again, as soon as the cramps start you can take it and avoid a trip to the hospital and an IV - blech.

How are you feeling now?
**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Oh No! new
      #181997 - 05/30/05 10:29 AM
e_mcmaster

I'm doing better today. The crazy bloating went down - I think I was more bloated than I've ever been before, and I get super bloated, and I'm a bit "crampy" but not too bad.

I suspect it is just a big buildup of C, so I took a super huge dose of miralax this morning to hopefully get things moving.

How are YOU doing? Are you still following that diet?

--------------------
Elizabeth

#181998 - 05/30/05 10:41 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,

I'm glad to hear the bloating went down - that must have been just awful if it is the worst you've ever had and you are normally quite bad anyway.. I really feel for ya!
Here's hoping that the uber-dose of meds will help get things moving!

I am doing alright. Just working away... Well, AT work.. can't say I am really workING. I never did start the Zone diet. I am just the worst that way. I make big plans, but I never ever follow through. When I started to write out a shopping list, it was massive just for ONE WEEK! I already worry about how much money I am spending at the grocery store, so I decided that until we have some more money I am just gonna have to try and mofidy what we can afford to buy and still be healthy.
I've been bad, though, and ate some crap on the weekend AND I haven't been to the gym since I got back from Mexico!
I just can't make myself stick to a plan for some reason, grrr.

Anywho, I am sending happy tummy thoughts your way and I hope you can get some relief and things start a-movin'.

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: I spent last night in the ER new
      #182000 - 05/30/05 11:22 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Sorry to hear about your ER visit! But glad to hear it wasn't anything serious.

Levsin, yeah I take it as needed. It's a great anti-spasmodic. Never had any problems with it.

#182017 - 05/30/05 01:30 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

OH, sweetie. I'm so sorry you had such a rough time. Let's hope this never happens again. Hugs. Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#182072 - 05/30/05 05:44 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Oh dear. Does Levacin work? Please advise. I'll "keep my fingers crossed" that you feel improved. I've had cramps in the past where I thought I'd have to go to the ER.

#182091 - 05/30/05 08:46 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Oh, that's awful! Hope you're feeling better. I have a prescription for Levsin, too (the generic - hyoscyomine or something like that) I take it as needed. It's ok - I'm D predominate - can never really tell if it's the drugs working or if the attack is just over. But I hear you can take that every day if you need to. Good luck.

Do you think it was your parents being in town that maybe caused some stress?

#182093 - 05/30/05 08:54 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

i had bad spasms today. it hurt so bad. i had to take my hyscomine for the pain and it went away right away. what causes these pains. did your lower back hurt to and sides/ glad your feeling better. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#182097 - 05/30/05 09:39 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear this! Glad you're feeling better today though. Isn't is so much worse when you can't even figure out WHY you're having this terrible attack? *sigh* Good luck with the new med. Hugs.

#182108 - 05/31/05 05:49 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm sorry. What a lousy way to spend the holiday weekend!

I am also on Levsin, the sublingual version. I take it as needed to calm the spasms. It works pretty well, but it does make me very, very tired. It also makes me really thirsty if I take it more than once. I only have to take it about once a week these days.

#182149 - 05/31/05 08:32 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Levcin is great for the abdominal pain, and I wish I could take it, but it gives me incredible headaches! Hope it works for you, because it is awesome for spasm relief!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

message for passnie new
      #182184 - 05/31/05 09:44 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

hi passnie . how many hyscomine do you take a day. i ben takeing just 1 at noon and 1 at midnight? jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#182198 - 05/31/05 10:51 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

My sympathies are with you. Hope you feel better soon. I've had three visits like that. All late at night and each time I ended up staying at least three days. Only one of these times did I figure I might know what the trigger was. I usually end up with a n/g tube (which is really ugh!)and an IV. I haven't been since I started Heather's diet, and the MOM (Milk of Magnesia). I am also on Zelnorm but I was taking that the last time I was in the hospital. I did a little research on the Miralax that some folks suggested. It is a prescribed medication, says it is for short term use (two weeks), and has many contrindications. I have started the acacia just recently and I am hoping that will help. I now have more D than C however that is okay by me for right now.

#182251 - 05/31/05 01:19 PM
e_mcmaster

YES! In fact, both my back and my sides hurt and still hurt yesterday. Soooo weird...

--------------------
Elizabeth

#182252 - 05/31/05 01:20 PM
e_mcmaster

It's possible, but I was so happy to see them and had had a GREAT day - a big BM and no bloating and then all of the sudden, BAM! Pain and bloating within 30 seconds.

--------------------
Elizabeth

#182253 - 05/31/05 01:30 PM
e_mcmaster

I appreciate all the support, Stephie. It means a lot.

As for the diet, sometimes we are limited by our income. I know that I'm barely making it til tomorrow when I get paid, but I was always taught that you "pay yourself first" (aka: put money in savings first) and then live on the rest, so I mangage ok. The major diet secret is to take in less than you burn, so it doesn't matter too much what you are eating as long as there is a bit of variety - the calories are what matter. You could lose weight on strictly Ramen soup (although that would do horrors to our tummies) but it wouldn't be the most nutritious.

As for the gym, I'm pretty fanatical about getting to the gym every day (with the exception of my rest day/days), but my fiance is having the same problem - the gym isn't his #1 priority like it is mine. I find that the physical activity really helps my tummy, though. I'm sure you'll find the motivation.

Hugs!!!

--------------------
Elizabeth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 598 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2142

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review