All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Drinking flavoured water
      #181947 - 05/30/05 04:18 AM

Unregistered

I have been drinking lots of plain water now for about 4 years, gradually reducing my tea intake. I rarely now have a cup of ordinary tea but am drinking quite alot of peppermint tea. However, on the water front I have recently got "fed up" with the plain water especially as I am on numerous prescribed medication for hypertension which causes me to have a very dry mouth. So, during the past few days have been adding Vimto cordial(kept usually for grandchildren!) to my water.
My question is, does this mean that the water content is not as valuable to my body?
Thankyou.
Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Drinking flavoured water new
      #181954 - 05/30/05 06:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Although I have no idea what vimto cordia is, you shouldn't feel restricted to just plain water. There are tons of flavours of herbal teas that are perfectly safe. You can even make them into iced teas that are perfect for the summer. It does not make them any less potent than water. You may also find that a bit of cranberry juice is safe as well. Some people can tolerate water with a squeeze of lemon or lime in it as well.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#181968 - 05/30/05 08:22 AM

Unregistered

HanSolo

Vimto Cordial/Squash (don't know what you call it in the States) is a blackcurrant/raspberry flavoured cordial (like Ribena - do you know Ribena?) where you put just a small amount in the glass and fill it up with water!! Just so that the water has a little bit of taste. Yes, I think I am going to try some cranberry juice and dilute it.
I also have a Blackcurrant tea which I drink - but I drink peppermint the most.
What I am trying to establish is whether the flavoured water is more difficult for the body to utilise??
Thanks
Judith

#181969 - 05/30/05 08:24 AM

Unregistered

Whoops - sorry HanSolo - your in Canada. Didn't check.

Judith

#181980 - 05/30/05 09:18 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My guess is no. FLavoured water should be no more difficult for the body to utilise. But that's just a guess.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#181982 - 05/30/05 09:23 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I know what you mean. I love my herbal teas and plain water, but sometimes, I just get tired of it.

Do you have KoolAid over there? It's a powdered drink mix that comes in little envelopes. You add sugar to taste and water. It is marketed as a children's drink, but hey, it still tastes good to my 33-year old self. Anyway, I have it now and then as an alternative to water.

#182542 - 06/01/05 11:47 AM
jea97

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: Lindenwold, NJ USA

What about Propel? Do you have that over there? I love them and they come in SO many great flavors(lemon, kiwi-stawberry, mixed berries,peach, watermelon etc.) and different size bottles.

#182544 - 06/01/05 11:55 AM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I've been adding lemon to my water for a different taste.

I guess I'm allergic to hicibus flowers, anytime I drink herbal teas with hicibus in it I break out in hives. I swear I can't win. I either can't have something cause my colon doesn't like it or I'm allergic to it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1799 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1479

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review