Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
*new fear* EEK!!
      #181886 - 05/29/05 03:37 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

Quote:

Fructose is a simple sugar (monosaccharide) found in many foods and one of the three most important blood sugars along with glucose and galactose. Honey, tree fruits, berries, melons, and some root vegetables such as: beets, sweet potatoes, parsnips and onions, contain fructose; usually in combination with sucrose and glucose. Fructose is also derived from the digestion of sucrose, a disaccharide consisting of glucose and fructose which is broken down by enzymes during digestion Fructose depends on glucose to carry it into the blood stream via GLUT-5 and then GLUT-2 (Buchs et al 1998). Absorption of fructose without glucose present is very poor, and excess fructose is carried into the lower intestine where it provides nutrients for the existing flora, which produce gas. It may also cause water retention in the intestine. These effects may lead to bloating, excessive flatulence, loose stools, and even diarrhea depending on the amounts eaten and other factors

okay---my neighbor was reading in her husbands medical dictionary and told me this quote a few weeks ago. and today my BF found it online: *ALOT* of my diet is based around fruits primarily b/c its fresh and easy to eat especially when im going somewhere or @ work. could this be the reason im always bloated??? b/c the nutrients go to my intestines and cause gas which i sometimes hold in?? im so scared if this is true b/c then what else will/can i eat? my fruits are usually:

-apples/apple-slices [if i have time]
-blueberries/strawberries or peaches in smoothies w/soymilk
-mangoes &/or papayas [just recently since i found some good organic ones!]
-pears, sometimes, when there are some in the house

water retention causes bloating too, but i know i pee alot during the day so i cant think theres too much due to water bloat *confuzzled* what should i do??? thanks guys

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: *new fear* EEK!! new
      #181935 - 05/30/05 02:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Could you try cutting them out for a couple of weeks and seeing if you improve? Otherwise I'd just make a conscious effort to snack on non-fructose stuff and to eat a good glucose source with larhge portions of fruit.

Fructose Intolerance is common with IBS new
      #181972 - 05/30/05 08:48 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I found a couple articles on it that you may want to check out. Here is one that talks about the fructose-glucose ratio. friendly foods . Note that not all "most kindly to the intestines" are necessarily considered IBS safe on this site. Also, if you cook the fruit, it does cut down on the fructose intolerance. I read an article on how they experimented with pears and after cooking them, the people had a significant reduction in gas. Fructose is difficult for many who don't even have IBS, so think of what it can do to many of us!

I also looked up fructose contents of fruits and apples pears where the highest.

I personally cook my apples, but don't eat pears as they are also high in sorbitol which also causes problems. So, between the fructose and sorbitol content of pears, I avoid.

I had some other websites that gave advice on fructose-glucose ratio fruits but, unfortunately, they are no longer accessible. One article suggested that bananas, apples, cherries, and honey have a lower fructose to glucose ratio and thus, are more gassy.

Another article listed that fruits high in both fructose and sorbitol are apples, apricots, pears, cherries, plums, prunes, and peaches. So, for those who have problems with both fructose and sorbitol these would cause the most gas.

Again, I guess you need to go with your own experimenting, unfortunately. And to stress, not all of the lower fructose fruits are considered IBS safe by Heather's guidelines and many people's personal experiences.

Re: *new fear* EEK!! new
      #182025 - 05/30/05 01:54 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

well, if i get too much fructose at all, its only from fruit--no other sources like pop or refined sugar that *only* has fructose and no glucose to balance it out. the thing is i noticed that my insides start to feel 'sticky' when i dont eat fruit--and when i have BMs, my body strains the same way a hand does when squeezing toothpaste out of an empty tube if im only eating fresh fruit, do you think thats safe? i havent really noticed any effects after i eat fruit but i thought that it might be contributing to the build-up of gas, which i hold in, which causes my C. im too scared to not eat fruit b/c then that only leaves bread-like stuff, cereal, oatmeal and pasta dishes--[all that stuff tends to make me feel overstuffed and extra full]

what did you mean by "eating a good glucose source with large portions of fruit? i usually eat the safe fruits that dont bother me...

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1681 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 795

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review