All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
DETOX LIVER, ETC. NOW WHAT FIBRE?
      #181843 - 05/29/05 06:07 AM
SEWRIGHT

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: ONTARIO, CANADA

I have IBS and a porty potty in my van. I used the detox for liver, etc. and the the detox for parasites. I am also only on the IBS schedule - no dairy (calcium and vitamin D supplements)and no meat. WOW what a difference can't believe all these years I am about 90% normal and have not used the potty.
Question - Should I take fibre con or acidophilus?
and how many daily? Also, I saw on one post a woman mentioned taking a fibre con just before eating in a restaurant and I did not understand why
Thanks for any suggestions
SEWRIGHT33@YAHOO.COM

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: DETOX LIVER, ETC. NOW WHAT FIBRE? new
      #181938 - 05/30/05 02:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can take both a SFS and a probiotic you know - they are totally different! I think you need to re-read Heather's guidelines on SF...in particular, getting SF in first!

Re: DETOX LIVER, ETC. NOW WHAT FIBRE? new
      #183905 - 06/06/05 08:47 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I have IBS and a porty potty in my van. I used the detox for liver, etc. and the the detox for parasites. I am also only on the IBS schedule - no dairy (calcium and vitamin D supplements)and no meat. WOW what a difference can't believe all these years I am about 90% normal and have not used the potty.

I'm glad you're doing so much better. I think Heather's diet is wonderful. BTW, I have to laugh at your van porta-potty. I can't tell you how many times I've thought that would be wonderful.

Quote:

Question - Should I take fibre con or acidophilus? and how many daily?

FibreCon is just one of many soluble fiber supplements. There's a ton of info on these in Heather's books, in the Website, and on the Boards. Here's an existing thread that might give you a starting place: where to read what Heather has to say, how to do a Search, and a ranking of fibers other than acacia. The very first page of the Diet board has a sticky post about fiber dosages. (I'm IBS-D and I take acacia. Right now I'm taking 8 teaspoons per day, split into 3 doses.)

Acidophilus is type of probiotic.Some people find they help, some don't. Unfortunately, this is another of those things you just have to try for yourself and see. You can Search on "probiotic" (don't use the quotes, Diet board only, All Posts) to see what other people have said about them.

Quote:

Also, I saw on one post a woman mentioned taking a fibre con just before eating in a restaurant and I did not understand why

Getting SF in your tummy first means your digestion starts off slowly and smoothly, rather than herky-jerky the way it can with harder-to-handle foods, like trigger foods and IF. Also, SF may (repeat, may) help cushion the effect of eating small (repeat, small) amounts of trigger foods. If you're going to eat at a restaurant where you're not entirely sure if you'll be able to find safe SF food to start your meal and/or where you're not entirely sure exactly what's in the food, taking a SFS beforehand can help get your digestion going safely and may provide a buffer for unsafe foods.

Quote:

Thanks for any suggestions

You're quite welcome and I have a couple more. On the Internet, typing in all caps is considered yelling and can be offputting, so you might want to "speak" more softly in your subject lines - and maybe your Board name, too.

Also,a more integrated understanding of why Heather's diet works could help you with questions like why an SFS is good and why people take FiberCon before eating out. Heather's book, "The First Year - IBS" is a great way to get that understanding. You can get it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble or you can order it from this Webite. In addition, most of the book is actually on this Website. You can click here to start reading the book on line.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1470 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 406

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review