All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Why are eggs a problem...
      #181433 - 05/26/05 03:06 PM

Unregistered

Is it because of the fat in the yolk or something else? Are some of you able to cope with eggs? A lot of my immediatey family are vegetarians and egg mayonnaise is a favourite sandwich filler?
Thanks
Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why are eggs a problem... new
      #181436 - 05/26/05 03:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Egg yolks are a problem. Egg whites are just fine. If you can find a fat free mayo that doesn't have things like dairy in it, you can use it to your heart's content.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#181439 - 05/26/05 03:49 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yep, some of us can deal with eggs. Egg yolks don't seem to bother me. IBS is SUCH an individual thing, though. Something that's a trigger for me, may not bother you in the least. I've gotten so sometimes I cook with whole eggs & sometimes I don't, but that's just me.

But if you are still figuring stuff out, I would avoid the yolks for awhile.

#181441 - 05/26/05 03:58 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I have absolutely no idea why eggs don't agree with me. It could be an IBS thing or it could be totally me, but even egg whites make me feel super queasy. I'm ok with small amounts of eggs baked into things, or even occasionally cassaroles with egg in them, but an omlette is more than I can deal with. Who knows???

#181479 - 05/26/05 07:33 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I'm pretty sure it's the fat in the yolk. The egg whites aren't fatty.

I eat bread that contains whole eggs new
      #181480 - 05/26/05 08:09 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

but figure since the eggs are distributed thoughout the entire loaf, it is safe, unlike eating an egg yolk straight up.

the fat conent of a piece is only 2 grams which is pretty equivalent to breads made without eggs. So a sandwhich with egg whites or 99% fat free turkey on the bread is only a total of 4-6 grams total fat for the meal. Some of Heather's recipes have TOTAL fat greater than this, so I figure I am safe?

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Me too, as far back as I can remember, new
      #181489 - 05/26/05 09:24 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

eggs have made me want to throw up. That, sauerkraut, pckled beets, and coleslaw, are the only seriously gross foods to me.

I get a gut ache when I eat eggs afterward, and I have to choke them down in any form. When I was on the South Beach diet I nearly died when i had to have eggs every breakfast. Yuch!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: I eat bread that contains whole eggs new
      #181613 - 05/27/05 11:16 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I always thought that the reason egg yolks were a trigger was just because they were high in fat, so as long as they were diluted, they were fine. I went back and read what it said in "The First Year" and it looks like there may be more to it than that for people with constipation:

Quote:

Meat, dairy products, and egg yolks are particularly dangerous for all aspects of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In some people their high fat content causes violent, rapid colon spasms and triggers diarrhea. Alternately, for others their heavy animal proteins, complete lack of fiber, and very low water content can lead to drastically slowed colon contractions (or one prolonged colon spasm, which is extremely painful) and severe constipation. No matter what Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms you're prone to, these three categories of foods pose high risks and are really best eliminated from your diet altogether.

This excerpt is also on the Website here.

For an excellent post on the problem with including any trigger foods in your diet before you're stable, you might want to take a look at this.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Very well put Sand. Thank you!-nt- new
      #181628 - 05/27/05 11:49 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Kandee

--------------------

#181681 - 05/27/05 04:31 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

You're probably saying the same thing, but some folks cannot digest the proteins found in eggs. Similar to gluten intollerance as it's the protein that's the problem here as well. I can handle 1 or 2 eggs ok, but anymore and I feel nausea/sick/bloated. Blech!

#181692 - 05/27/05 04:56 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Agreed: eggs are major allergens. Perhaps the reason eggs cause so much difficulty with IBS, gas, bloating etc. is related to this fact: put one in the microwave and IT EXPLODES!!! So, it follows that an egg would explode in your pants, your gut, the human body. Also, eggs contain a lot of SULFUR--the stuff that's in garlic, onions, cabbage and cruciferous veggies that people with IBS tend to be hyper-sensitive too. Fat is another issue/trigger.

Is this true of egg whites too? new
      #181703 - 05/27/05 06:30 PM
Cyndy

Heather says these are safe. So would this info pertain to the egg whites or just the yolk?

I eat scrambled egg whites about 3 or 4 times a week!

Wow, Sand new
      #181704 - 05/27/05 06:37 PM
Cyndy

I've never seen that part of the explanation. I don't think it was in the Eating for IBS book, or else I didn't read it entirely just assuming it was the fat content.

The time I started extreme C was when I first started eating this bread with egg yolks! I only have a piece or 2 every other day. But maybe that's enough. I must do some experimenting for sure.

I eat egg white omelettes every other day. It seems from what Heather says, this would not cause the constipation. And I can keep eating the egg white omelettes. Is that how you would interpret this info?

Thanks so much for pointing this out to me!

No worries, egg whites are fine! (I eat them every day!) -nt- new
      #181705 - 05/27/05 06:38 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I've never heard of eggs containing sulfur new
      #181706 - 05/27/05 06:39 PM
Cyndy

Heather lists egg whites as safe. I don't think she would say this if it contained sulfur. Or is the sulfur only in the yolks?

I don't know if it okay to eat my egg whites now.

Retrograde new
      #181708 - 05/27/05 06:47 PM
Cyndy

Did you read what Wind says about the sulfur in eggs though? That would make it seem like egg whites are not safe for people who have problems with sulfur foods, like onions, cabbage, crucifous veggies...which I definitely do!

I don't know if this pertains to the yolks or the whites too? I hope I don't have to give this food up too. But I am so gassy and crampy that maybe the egg whites are like onions in the sulfur aspect? Do you know about this?

Thanks

Re: Retrograde new
      #181713 - 05/27/05 07:10 PM
retrograde

OK, well I *do* know that the proteins thing - that's only for the egg YOLKS. The whites are still very high in protein but from what I understand they don't have the same fatty proteins as the yolks (similar to those in red meat and dairy).

Personally, I can't even touch broccoli or onions or any of the other sulpherous foods and egg whites have never, ever given me any problems - they are, in fact, one of my totally safe foods (with SF of course), probably my safest reliable protein. To be honest I've never heard of eggs being sulpherous - so hopefully Kate (Wind) can chime in and enlighten us. Either way though I know I've never had problems with them, and Heather recommends them too.

I just did a google and... new
      #181714 - 05/27/05 07:12 PM
Cyndy

it looks like egg whites do have sulfur? It said raw egg whites definitely cause wicked smelly gas!

And that most of the sulfur is in the egg white. I think that's what the results said,if I read the articles correctly. This is bad new for my diet.

Hmmm.... new
      #181716 - 05/27/05 07:21 PM
retrograde

Well, I guess you learn something new everyday!

Well, first - you're not eating them raw, right?

And second the fact that there's no IF in egg whites put them one up on broccoli. I know, as I said before, that I've never had problems with them AND that Heather cooks with and recommends them - but if you suspect that they may be causing you problems, you may be particularly sensitive to sulpherous foods...? Try cutting them out for a few days then adding them back in, and seeing how you react.

Re: odor reducers vs odor producers new
      #181717 - 05/27/05 07:32 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think even though the egg white has sulfur-containing proteins, it doesn't produce as much gas as broccoli, beans, and other high IF foods. But it does make for much smellier farts! So, I think if you eat cooked egg whites in moderation, and you don't have an intolerance to them, you shouldn't have too much of a problem w/ gas.

Also, it helps to always have fennel or peppermint tea when you eat eggs. Drinking cranberry juice, which we can have on this diet, is a gas odor-REDUCER! Whee! Soy yogurt is another. I have a list somewhere of foods that produce or reduce odor. I'll try to find it.

egg farts new
      #181719 - 05/27/05 08:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Eggs give DH and I notoriously bad smelling gas. But I have never noticed it from just eating whites. I rarely do though. On my trip I had whites every morning and had no gas whatsoever except right before and after a BM- but inoffensive. Otherwise I am not sure if whites ever cause smelly sulfurous gas. I just don't eat cooked whites or egg beaters enough. I do bake with them all the time though.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Wow, Sand new
      #181763 - 05/28/05 08:56 AM
Sand

The Board never ceases to amaze me. Posts I think will get zillions of responses get practically nothing and ones that look pretty humdrum all of a sudden take off. Cool.

I'm not sure who in this thread is responding to whom, agreeing with whom, or whatever at this point, so I'm just going to make some points in sort of chronological order. First, though, I want to emphasize that the passage I quoted from "The First Year" (page 26, box) refers to egg yolks only. As far as Heather's IBS diet is concerned, egg whites are fine. So,yes, Cyndy, I do interpret this to mean you can keep eating your egg white omelettes, subject to my point further down about sulphur.

The point of the quote is that IBSer's have trouble digesting the protein in egg yolks. I'm sure some people cannot digest the proteins found in egg whites either, but this is not an IBS issue. Maddening, yes; IBS, no.

Some people are allergic to eggs, just like some people are allergic to peanuts. Food allergies are not the same thing as IBS.

Exploding eggs. Thanks - this finally got me to look up why this happens, something I'd wondered about for years, but never investigated. This is what I found (From Microwave Answers):

Quote:

Why do eggs, potatoes, and other things explode in the microwave?
Microwave energy penetrates foods much more deeply than conventional heating does. The water molecules inside the food heat as quickly as those on the outside. And water expands when you heat it. Eggs, potatoes, and other things with shells or skins explode because the expanding water has nowhere to go.

I'm tempted to say we're safe from eggs exploding inside us because our bodies don't produce microwave energy. Given how little scientists understand IBS, though, I'm not sure that's a safe statement to make. So I'll just stick to recommending that you don't eat your eggs whole - and be sure to remove the shell.

Eggs and sulphur. I agree with Retrograde on this one: if you're really worried about sulphur from egg whites, try eliminating the egg whites and see what happens. Then add them back in and see what happens.

I did some poking around on the issue of eggs and smelly gas. If I'm understanding what I'm reading, proteins (like egg whites) produce relatively little gas compared to veggies, but they are more likely to produce sulphur, which is the smelly part. Veggies produce more gas because of their fiber, but it's less likely to smell because they don't contain sulphur. With sulphur-containing vegetables, you're getting a double whammy: lots of gas from the fiber and smell from the sulphur. Based on this, I'd say that if your gas is smelly, it might be the eggs, but if the problem is volume of gas, it probably isn't the eggs. I'm very shaky on this: there's a lot of contradiction or partial info or confusion out there on this. (Or maybe the confusion is all between keyboard and chair. )

Well, almost time for lunch. No eggs on the menu, thank goodness. I think I've had enough of them for a while.

Now, Rosie02, aren't you glad you asked?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (05/28/05 08:58 AM)

#181766 - 05/28/05 09:26 AM

Unregistered

Absolutely Sand. Like you, I was absolutely amazed at the way this topic took off - its the best response I have had on any of my posts. I am really trying to work out if I can still have hard boiled eggs in mayo as a sandwich filling. Guess I will need to try it and see.
Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Judith
(rosie02 is my handle and also my 3 yr old grand-daughter!)

Re: Egg Whites/sulfur--YES! new
      #181774 - 05/28/05 01:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Egg whites do contain sulfur, i.e. sulfur containing amino acids. Note: sulfur containing amino acids are also naturally occurring in egg whites, meat, fish, milk. Even soy contains sulfur. Don't freak out, though. I think it's the degree or source of the sulfur. But note SOME PEOPLE are HYPER-SENSITIVE to sulfur, or specific sources of sulfur.

A silly side note: don't you love it how egg whites FOAM when you beat them? Add a little sodium bicarbonate(levening agent) or cream of tartar, and wow, do they ever get fluffy and attain new heights. Imagine that happening inside of a human body! Okay, I know...I'm not one to get cracking/pouring egg whites. PEOPLE smell--me included, it's part of being an organic being that consumes earthy, organic stuff! We sweat it, we fart it, we radiate it! Literally.

#181776 - 05/28/05 02:00 PM
Sand

Well, the short answer is what HanSolo said: On Heather's diet you can't have egg yolk. You could try making egg salad with just the boiled whites - maybe up the mustard a little - and egg-free mayo. Or you could take a look at this recipe and see what you think. There is also a discussion of light mayos in this recipe thread.

HTH.

--------------------

Re: odor reducers vs odor producers new
      #181777 - 05/28/05 02:06 PM
Sand

Sorry, Maria. I just read this carefully and realized you already said - and much more pithily - what I went out and researched about eggs being less gas, but smellier. That'll teach me to speed read.

If you find the list of odor reducers vs. odor producers, please do post it. I'd love to have it not only for myself but also for a friend (we're both in our early 50's) who said to me recently, "I'm not sure what's happening to my body, but I'm beginning to understand where the expression 'old fart' comes from."

--------------------

Not my fish too? new
      #181809 - 05/28/05 06:54 PM
Cyndy

I'm not sure if you are saying egg whites are okay because the sulfur is low or that, in your opinion, they are still gassy for some, but not all?

Our you suggesting that egg whites bloat up in our bodies, causing problems?

Well, I eat lots of fish too. Like, every other day. So, looks like I'm a double whammy here. That would only leave me eating chicken and turkey for protein. The majority of Heather's meal plans in her Eating for IBS board involve fish or chicken as the protein.

I'm just very confused right now. Sorry.

Re: Egg Whites/sulfur--YES! new
      #181810 - 05/28/05 07:04 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Kate,
I love how you phrase things. "We sweat it, we fart it, we radiate it!" Excellent and so very true! This is going down in my personal quote book.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1014 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8581

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review