All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Why are eggs a problem...
      #181433 - 05/26/05 03:06 PM

Unregistered

Is it because of the fat in the yolk or something else? Are some of you able to cope with eggs? A lot of my immediatey family are vegetarians and egg mayonnaise is a favourite sandwich filler?
Thanks
Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why are eggs a problem... new
      #181436 - 05/26/05 03:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Egg yolks are a problem. Egg whites are just fine. If you can find a fat free mayo that doesn't have things like dairy in it, you can use it to your heart's content.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#181439 - 05/26/05 03:49 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yep, some of us can deal with eggs. Egg yolks don't seem to bother me. IBS is SUCH an individual thing, though. Something that's a trigger for me, may not bother you in the least. I've gotten so sometimes I cook with whole eggs & sometimes I don't, but that's just me.

But if you are still figuring stuff out, I would avoid the yolks for awhile.

#181441 - 05/26/05 03:58 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I have absolutely no idea why eggs don't agree with me. It could be an IBS thing or it could be totally me, but even egg whites make me feel super queasy. I'm ok with small amounts of eggs baked into things, or even occasionally cassaroles with egg in them, but an omlette is more than I can deal with. Who knows???

#181479 - 05/26/05 07:33 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I'm pretty sure it's the fat in the yolk. The egg whites aren't fatty.

I eat bread that contains whole eggs new
      #181480 - 05/26/05 08:09 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

but figure since the eggs are distributed thoughout the entire loaf, it is safe, unlike eating an egg yolk straight up.

the fat conent of a piece is only 2 grams which is pretty equivalent to breads made without eggs. So a sandwhich with egg whites or 99% fat free turkey on the bread is only a total of 4-6 grams total fat for the meal. Some of Heather's recipes have TOTAL fat greater than this, so I figure I am safe?

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Me too, as far back as I can remember, new
      #181489 - 05/26/05 09:24 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

eggs have made me want to throw up. That, sauerkraut, pckled beets, and coleslaw, are the only seriously gross foods to me.

I get a gut ache when I eat eggs afterward, and I have to choke them down in any form. When I was on the South Beach diet I nearly died when i had to have eggs every breakfast. Yuch!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: I eat bread that contains whole eggs new
      #181613 - 05/27/05 11:16 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I always thought that the reason egg yolks were a trigger was just because they were high in fat, so as long as they were diluted, they were fine. I went back and read what it said in "The First Year" and it looks like there may be more to it than that for people with constipation:

Quote:

Meat, dairy products, and egg yolks are particularly dangerous for all aspects of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In some people their high fat content causes violent, rapid colon spasms and triggers diarrhea. Alternately, for others their heavy animal proteins, complete lack of fiber, and very low water content can lead to drastically slowed colon contractions (or one prolonged colon spasm, which is extremely painful) and severe constipation. No matter what Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms you're prone to, these three categories of foods pose high risks and are really best eliminated from your diet altogether.

This excerpt is also on the Website here.

For an excellent post on the problem with including any trigger foods in your diet before you're stable, you might want to take a look at this.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Very well put Sand. Thank you!-nt- new
      #181628 - 05/27/05 11:49 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Kandee

--------------------

Re: I eat bread that contains whole eggs new
      #181681 - 05/27/05 04:31 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

You're probably saying the same thing, but some folks cannot digest the proteins found in eggs. Similar to gluten intollerance as it's the protein that's the problem here as well. I can handle 1 or 2 eggs ok, but anymore and I feel nausea/sick/bloated. Blech!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8580

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review