All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Safe or "Dangerous"?
      #181289 - 05/25/05 09:54 PM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

I'm wondering if the following foods are safe (generally) or not. If so/not, why/why not?

- rotisserie chicken (from grocery store)?
- garlic?
- apple sauce?
- barley (whole)?
- pancakes?
- wild rice?
- pea pods?
- raspberries?
- celery?
- bagels?

Also, I can't seem to find "new potatoes" at any supermarket. Is there another name for these?

I tried "Nayonase" and thought it was gross...are there better brands?

And what are the best stomach/intestine "soother" foods for those days when nothing goes down well? (bananas cause bloating for me)

Boy, a lot of questions...sorry. And thanks in advance!!

Patty

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safe or "Dangerous"? new
      #181299 - 05/26/05 03:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I really suggest reading through ALL of the IBS diet information that Heather's put online... pretty much all of your questions are answered in there, especially the what to eat when you can't eat anything question.

- Rotisserie chicken - white meat only, no skin, and it's safe

- Garlic - you'll have to try it, some people are fine with it and some aren't

- Applesauce is soluble fiber and therefore safe

- Barley... well, it depends what you mean by "whole". Pearl barley has the insoluble bit removed and it's therefore soluble fiber. If it still has the bran then it should be treated as an insoluble fiber food.

- Pancakes in a restaurant are not safe, generally speaking. Make your own pancakes - there are recipes, do a search.

- Wild rice is not technically rice - it's the seeds of an aquatic plant. It's an insoluble fiber food and should be eaten accordingly.

- Pea pods are insoluble and should be eaten accordingly.

- Raspberries - ditto

- Celery - ditto

- Bagels from a bakery were always iffy for me, because a lot of them contain dairy. I find I'm fine with Thomas's bagels, which are completely dairy-free. Obviously you'll want to avoid fancy flavored ones that contain unsafe ingredients, such as egg bagels, which would contain whole eggs.

Notice that I didn't say any of these foods are BAD... they aren't. A lot of them are insolubles, though, and you have to eat them according to the IBS diet guidelines for maximum safety and minimal problems. If not familiar with what I mean, definitely read through the "soluble vs insoluble" information from the diet link above.

"New potatoes" are just small potatoes, usually red-skinned, and they're wicked overpriced, IMHO. I just substitute normal potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks, in any recipe that calls for them. You could use normal red-skinned potatoes and not peel them, but be advised that potato skins are a particularly difficult insoluble to eat.

Is there a particular reason why you went with Nayonnaise instead of a regular mayo? Egg allergy? I'm not familiar with the soy mayos to recommend a better brand, but personally, I just use reduced-fat regular mayo. Just2Good, if you can find it, I think it's a Hellmann's product, is probably the best one I've tried.

Good luck!

#181303 - 05/26/05 04:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Fyi new potatoes are just that...so basically baby (therefore small) potatoes. I usually just do like Casey and chop the cheaper big ones up!

#181368 - 05/26/05 11:00 AM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05

Ok, great...thanks for the info. What about marshmallows??

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

#181373 - 05/26/05 11:12 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

To add to the excellent information provided by the others, I do not recommend eating any prepared foods unless you know for a fact they are safe for you. For example, Marshmellows are a "prepared food" so there will be an element of risk in trying it. It is always better for you to prepare your own foods so you can have full control over "safe" ingredients for yourself.

In terms of apple sauce, I recommend making your own or buying a brand (preferably organic) that contains no additives. Usually babyfood apple sauce is okay.

The bottom line is you need to read the ingredients for everything! Once you acquaint yourself with Heather's diet rules, you will be better able to pick out ingredients that could cause you discomfort.

In terms of bagels, I highly recommend buying them at a high quality Jewish bakery. Make sure the bagels you purchase are "parve." As long as they are parve, they will not contain any milk products. However, you should still ask the bakery what the other ingredients are in the bagels to ensure there isn't something else in them that could bother you.

Belinda

#181376 - 05/26/05 11:19 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I think the potatoes are also called Red Potatoes. And I use a product called "vegenaise" as a mayo substitute the only problem w/ it is it is a little high in fat so if that is a major trigger for you don't use it.

I am stable now and high fat is one of my biggest triggers but I usually only use a small dab on my sndwich just so it isn't so dry and the stuff actually taste like real mayo.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

new potatoes LOL Casey- also potato tech from a potato grower new
      #181446 - 05/26/05 04:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

They are wicked overpriced! I either grow my own or buy Klondike Rose at Sam's Club.
Technically any potato right out of the ground is a new potato, but people generally classify this incorrectly of course (like sweet potatoes and yams). So "new potatoes" at the market are the little red ones. Do not substitute russet or Idaho potatoes for new potatoes or for red potatoes in general. ***Because*** there are 2 kinds of potatoes, boiling and baking. Boiling potatoes have thin skin and oilier (not fatty just less dry) flesh and are used for boiling or roasting in a casserole and the like. Examples are red, yukon gold and klondike rose. Baking potatoes have thicker, tougher skin and dryer flesh. They are used for french fries, classic mashed potatoes, baking whole and gnocchi. They have a grainier mealier flesh. Varities are russet and Idaho and the really big brown ones in bulk at the store. So when cooking potatoes try to get a handle on what kind is best in the recipe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: new potatoes LOL Casey- also potato tech from a potato grower new
      #181450 - 05/26/05 04:37 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Wow - who knew? Thanks so much for the info. This explains why I like Yukon Golds so much in stew.

Bonus Question: Can you also actually explain the difference between yams and sweet potatoes?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Yams vs. sweet potatoes new
      #181473 - 05/26/05 07:06 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

ooh ooh! Let me! I know this one!

Yams and sweet potatoes are actually 2 completely different species - one (yams) is from Africa and generally doesn't grow in North America (the African word, though I'm not sure what language it is, is nyami) and the other (sweet potatoes) does.

While you can sometimes find yams in North American and European grocery stores, generally it's just mislabeled - what's labeled 'yams' is most often just another darker/lighter/differently shaped variety of sweet potatoes. Yams and sweet potatoes are generally interchangable in recipes though.

I'm pretty sure the naming mix-up it's Columbus's fault (as usual, lol)...

Re: Laurel, I had to chuckle, new
      #181516 - 05/27/05 05:02 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You are just a wealth of information, girl!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1920

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review