All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New here - questions about dizziness and IBS
      #181269 - 05/25/05 06:04 PM
nursehew26

Reged: 05/25/05

Hi all,
I am new to this board, and am finding it so helpful!! I was diagnosed with IBS about 6 years ago, and was pretty much symptom free until 2 1/2 weeks ago. I ate some chips with Olestra (fat subsitute) and put me into a full blown attack. I am recovering, but during this time, I was also having some dizziness and other odd central nervous system things. I know the bowel has a ton of nerves and the brain also connects to the gut...does anybody else experience dizziness or other weird things? I was also diagnosed with dyspepsia - another functional disorder, this solely related to the stomach itself. Apparantly, the same situation exists - the nerves and or muscles of the stomach cant work correctly. So thats a lot of fun also!! But, I am getting better with Heathers diet, and slowly adding other foods. But some responses about the nervous system stuff would be nice. Also, it is not always anxiety triggered. Sometimes I am completely calm, and it comes out of nowhere, sometimes during meals. Anyways...enough!! I appreciate any info! By the way, any other Minnesotans?
Heather

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New here - questions about dizziness and IBS new
      #181293 - 05/25/05 10:02 PM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

I had the same problem last week for the first time, the dizziness I mean. I was wondering the same thing!

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

#181296 - 05/26/05 12:24 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I get heaps of dizziness, but I've never stopped to wonder whether it's connected with IBS. I have wondered whether I have Meniere's disease, as my gandfather had it and my father has it.
I don't know what to do about it either. It tends to trigger panic attacks a bit, which can mess with the IBS.

--------------------
*Emma*

#181304 - 05/26/05 04:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I get dizzy with my Fibro. But any bad attack could make anyone dizzy/faint...all it is usually is your bod telling to lie down right away! It can also be linked to ear infections etc as your inner ear controls your balance.

#181340 - 05/26/05 07:35 AM
zebras

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Vermont

My 10-year-old son has had IBS for 2 1/2 months now, and he experiences dizzy spells, sometimes with visual disturbances, several times a week. They started very soon after his GI symptoms started. Luckily they are quite short in duration -- just a couple of minutes. I'm unclear what is causing them or how they are linked to his IBS symptoms; they seem to come randomly. His GI symptoms have greatly improved with the diet, peppermint caps, and meds, but the dizziness hasn't decreased.

#181353 - 05/26/05 08:54 AM
nursehew26

Reged: 05/25/05

I think (I hope) that its all connected. I just saw a psychologist today, and he discussed the whole brain-gut connection with me, and its definetely a possibility. I must say I feel relief that others have noted the same thing. I too, have the vision things too, and it usually goes away quickly. Last night, within about 10 minutes of starting to eat, I had the whoosh sensation come over me, along with some vision change. I was also very tired after that, like it took a lot of energy. And yes, I also have panic/anxiety result because of the weird feeling. So....thanks for the responses! I feel pretty alone in all this, so this board really helps!

--------------------
IBS-D

#181365 - 05/26/05 10:30 AM
Birdie

Reged: 02/26/05
Loc: Canada

Me too. I've always thought it was hypoglycemia. Low blood sugar. I get dizzy, shaky and have blurred vision. In me it predominently hits in the mornings if I try to do anything physical. Sometimes even light work, like laundry or baking will set it off.

If I catch it early enough, and eat a bit of protein, I don't get too bad. But if I don't catch it, as soon as I eat I'll get the whole "system clean-out" diarrhea, which then leaves me very exhausted and weak. I'm toast for the rest of the day.

I've always figured that with IBS-D, you are not getting the proper nutrients from food, so you don't have the energy reserves and stuff to allow you to operate normally as far as physical tasks are concerned. I know sometimes my blood tests show really low blood protein levels. Not sure if that plays into the hypoglycemia or not. ??

#182569 - 06/01/05 12:51 PM
jea97

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: Lindenwold, NJ USA

I also had the same problem starting in Feb. while I was at work. But I had nausea, sweating palms, hot/cold flashes as well. my employer called an Ambulance and the Er doc said it was dehydration ( I never drank anything but soda). I started drinking water and still ahve the same problems every 4-6 weeks, not sure what it is though. I also thought it may be hypogliecemia, when I eat pasta or bread it starts to go away.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 621 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1437

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review