All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gross test question...sorry
      #181001 - 05/24/05 04:44 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Okay, the gastro doc wants a stool sample this week to make sure it's not parasites instead of IBS. They gave me the little kit but no directions. I've got the ziploc bag, the popsicle stick and the little bottle for the sample to go in. No rubber gloves. What am I supposed to do? Crap on the stick and then put the poo in the bottle?

PS I already called the doc's office...they weren't very helpful.
I checked WebMD, too. Still not real helpful.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gross test question...sorry new
      #181002 - 05/24/05 04:56 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

In the lab, we usually get a stool specimen in a cup. We would select a portion of the specimen (we use the applicator stick unless the specimen is liquid) & add it to the container to make the fluid reach the appropriate line.
So... your job at home would be to collect the stool in a container or place some SaranWrap over the toilet.
Good luck! And yes it IS gross.

#181011 - 05/24/05 06:03 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know.

#181038 - 05/24/05 07:57 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Yup....I was even brave enough to ask the nurse directly and she just blushed and said...."uh, uh...just read that paper here"...I found that the larger the container, the more successful I was. We actually still had one of those pans they give you after you give birth, the kind that you are supposed put underneath the toilet bowl lid and put hot water in and sit over. That worked quite well.

Be absolutely sure to fill the "specimen" to the line. Ugg. I was less grossed out by the feeling/ seeing of it, as by the smell. If you can put something that smells pleasant behind you, so that you can turn around and smell it, I found that helps with the nausea.

Oh, and if there is no preservative (a colored/ smelling liquid already in the tube), be sure to refridgerate the tube until you take it to the doctors.

Maybe you're already done now, but I had to take several over a 48 hour period, so I thought it might still help.

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

#181093 - 05/25/05 07:51 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Just in case you haven't done this yet or for future reference, a large green garbage bag works well to go over the toilet (between ring and bowl) instead of Saran Wrap. And I'll third or fourth it - it is gross.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1648 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 592

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review