All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Bad Dr. Appt.
      #180897 - 05/24/05 07:33 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I had a checkup with my GI yesterday. I'm really starting to not like him! He takes me at least 30 minutes late every time I go and then rushes me through the appointment. I feel like he pushed me out the door very quickly yesterday. He told me to up my dose of Nortriptyline to 40mg (I was taking 30mg) per day. I told him about the acacia fiber, the probiotics and the Digestive Advantage that I am currently taking. He told me that there is no scientific evidence that any of those things will help with my condition. I can feel free to continue using them, as they are not harmful, but that they won't help my IBS. I told him about this website and that this is where I am getting most of my information and he said that the internet is not the best source for information. I really feel extremely frustrated now. I should also mention that this doc has NEVER given me an exam. All my tests were ordered through my primary care physician. Should I be concerned? I'm just at a loss about how dismissive he was. He has never once actually DISCUSSED diet with me - he just gave me a sheet of paper with bullet points on my first visit. Any advise?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bad Dr. Appt. new
      #180898 - 05/24/05 07:44 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Find a new Doc.... if he is not willing to take the time with you... you should not have to feel rushed like that. This site has wonderful information... My Dr had never heard of this site or Heather's books until I brought them with me... he was impressed and tells me that he had told other IBS patients about them also.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#180904 - 05/24/05 08:20 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I'm so sorry you had to go through that - I think a lot of us on here have had very similar experiences so we feel for ya!
I think Shell is right - find a new doc if you can. It sometimes takes a lot of time to find a doctor that you can really click with.

If you can't find a doctor and you have to go see this one again, I say try and be as assertive as possible. Bring the books with you, like Shell said, and show him specific things that have helped you or that you have questions about. If he says that the things you have found on your own won't help you, ask him WHAT WILL? It is his job to try and make you feel better, and you are completely justified in expecting him to try to do that.
I would even tell him how you felt when you left the appointment... tell him how you are suffering and him dismissing you is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
I know that I was not taken seriously until I really got into it with a doctor. I took my boyfriend with me so I couldn't back down, and he backed me up when he thought I wasn't being assertive enough myself. If you think you need to, bring someone with you.

If I were you, I wouldn't mention the internet thing again just because he probably WON'T take anything from the internet very seriously. The books are more solid and easier for people to relate to as real information.

Even if you do see a new doctor, go in prepared. Explain what you expect, and I would even say that you have been rushed out of doctor's offices before and left feeling worse than when you came in and you really want someone who will listen to you.. It would be pretty hard to rush you out of the office after saying something like that!

Good luck!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#180906 - 05/24/05 08:25 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Hi there,

I'm so sorry you had to go through that - I think a lot of us on here have had very similar experiences so we feel for ya!
I think Shell is right - find a new doc if you can. It sometimes takes a lot of time to find a doctor that you can really click with.

If you can't find a doctor and you have to go see this one again, I say try and be as assertive as possible. Bring the books with you, like Shell said, and show him specific things that have helped you or that you have questions about. If he says that the things you have found on your own won't help you, ask him WHAT WILL? It is his job to try and make you feel better, and you are completely justified in expecting him to try to do that.
I would even tell him how you felt when you left the appointment... tell him how you are suffering and him dismissing you is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
I know that I was not taken seriously until I really got into it with a doctor. I took my boyfriend with me so I couldn't back down, and he backed me up when he thought I wasn't being assertive enough myself. If you think you need to, bring someone with you.

If I were you, I wouldn't mention the internet thing again just because he probably WON'T take anything from the internet very seriously. Or turn the book over and show him the website address listed on there plus he will see Heather's smiling face... how could he resist that?? The books are more solid and easier for people to relate to as real information.

Even if you do see a new doctor, go in prepared. Explain what you expect, and I would even say that you have been rushed out of doctor's offices before and left feeling worse than when you came in and you really want someone who will listen to you.. It would be pretty hard to rush you out of the office after saying something like that!

Good luck!!
--Steph

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#180907 - 05/24/05 08:27 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Any time you feel you're not getting the care you deserve, you should definitely be concerned. Find a new GI. At least you have the tests done, and you can take your records elswhere, to a hopefully better doctor.

#180909 - 05/24/05 08:29 AM

Unregistered

MCV

It is over 30 years now since I was first diagnosed with ibs.d (I am 52) and there was far less known about it then than now. I just want to encourage you to stick with what you are learning from this wonderful site. Heather's advice on food, fiber and supplements is the best I have come across in the last 30 years, especially the soluble fiber. The doctors and hospitals were always telling me to eat a lot of fiber ( but it was the insoluble fiber) so i have probably made my condition worse all this time.
I came across this site last October, I started by taking on board the "eating to break the cycle of ibs", then I introduced the Acacia fiber, then I tried a calcium supplement (not sure if this helped so stopped it after 4 months) and in February added Acidopholus (can never spell it) and I am convinced that the acid... has made a big difference.
Whatever you do, do not let the medical profession get you down - come back to this site and get the information you need from here.
All the best
Judith

#180913 - 05/24/05 08:40 AM
3grands

Reged: 05/03/05

Sorry about your Dr appointment! My gastro guy is the same...he saw 4 patients in a 20 minute period! This site is the most helpful I think...seems like every Dr has a different opinion of what to do and most of it does NOT go along with what these people are saying. These people all have "been there, done that" so I'd stick with this. Have all the tests you need,though, to make sure it is IBS.
Try a new Dr if you can find one! Judy

Just curious, Judith new
      #180915 - 05/24/05 08:41 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Are you a C or a D? This diet seems to work better for D people on the boards. I have been on it for a while and it has made my constipation worse . Maybe it is better for D folks

I have tried everything I can think of, including adding insolubles at every meal! I drink, walk...still nothing helps.

Maybe I need another diet approach? I thought Heather's would work. I was praying it would as it has for so many others. I don't know why I am one of the ones that doesn't seem to get any relief, but only worse symptoms.

Re: Just curious, Judith new
      #180919 - 05/24/05 08:58 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Cyndy,

Have you tried keeping a food journal? Just wondering if something keeps coming up that you may not realize.

And you're definitely drink water, as in TONS of it? I know I swing C sometimes, which can be painful, if I don't drink enough water. Feels like a sore muscle in my lower tummy or something. I hate that!

If worse comes to worse, you can always try Kree's Lower Fat Oatmeal Molasses Cookies. I haven't tried them, but apparently they've gotten good reviews for "cleaning you out"! LOL

Hope you find something that works.

Re: Just curious, Judith new
      #180924 - 05/24/05 09:11 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Couple of thoughts. First, the question you raise about how well Heather's approach works for C vs D might make an interesting poll. You could ask people to say whether they're C, D, A, P and then say how well this approach has worked for them. In my case, I'd say, "I'm IBS-D. Heather's approach has worked 90%. I believe it would work 100% if I was 100% faithful to it." It would be interesting to see the results.

Second - and this is an extension of Melissa's food journal suggestion - maybe you could post what you're eating on a daily basis and see if anyone on the Board spots a possible problem. I know one or two other people have done that here.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1028 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5616

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review