All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Have you lost weight??
      #180243 - 05/20/05 04:55 AM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

About October of last year my BF and I went out to eat at Chilis. Not even 5 minutes after leaving the restuarant I got that felling( you know when you really need to go/D) We still had some shopping to do so I decided to go and use the restroom. The pain was excruciating,I had never had so much D in my whole life. I started having abdominal pain and nausea. I thought that it was just a bad case of food poisioning and did not visit a DR.. At this time I weghed about 190 lbs. A few weeks later All my symptoms came back adn I was admitted to the hospital cause I was constantly using the restroom and couldnt stop. Around the beginig of Nov. I was released and was told that I had IBS w/ Colitis. At this time I weighed 150lbs. And ever since then I keep losing more and more weight. I now weigh 120 lbs. From what I hear IBS does not let you lose weight. Do you think that I might be missed diagnosed (I doubt it cause I am sensitive to all the foods) I have had so many tests done and everything comes back ok. Has anyone else lost that much weight? Im worried

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Have you lost weight?? new
      #180246 - 05/20/05 05:26 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Certainly you should be careful and make sure you are tested and treated as needed. But yes sometimes when people have chronic D they can hardly keep anything down/in and do lose weight. Yours is a lot though. I hope you feel better with Heather's plan!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I lost quite a lot too new
      #180251 - 05/20/05 05:45 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

With my last bad flareup, which started around January of last year... I started out weighing about 160, and by summer, I weighed 100-105. Follow the diet strictly and to the letter, that's my best advice. When you stabilize, your weight will too. (I'm around 125-130 now.)

It's definitely important to be diligent about your health, but if you've had a colonoscopy (very important!) and all the other tests, and everything comes back clean, I wouldn't say there's any reason to doubt the IBS diagnosis for now. IBS *can* make you really, REALLY sick, as I've found out.

Good luck, and hope you feel better!

#180270 - 05/20/05 06:42 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I lost a ton a weight as well. After I had my son I got real sick and found out of October last year I had IBS. By that time if you count my pregnancy gain of 30 lbs I had lost a total of 65lbs in 6 months. I had always been 155lbs and I dropped down to 126lbs! After stablizing on the diet I am now maintaining a healthy weight of 133-135. I am also 5'9 so I looked awful at 126. Hang in there. Once you figure out what you can eat and stablize you should be able to maintain a healthy weight!

#180282 - 05/20/05 07:33 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Yes - I went from 185 - to around 128 - 133 pounds. (Thankfully because this is a much healthier weight!) The low fat diet, no dairy, no sodas etc. are the main cause of my weight loss -- not constant D though -- because once I got my symptoms under control - that's when my weight came off. When I was having D all the time -- I still stayed heavy. If you are losing and not stopping the D -- then I would worry some about dehydration and malnutrition.

Re: Have you lost weight?? (Maybe TMI for guys...) new
      #180318 - 05/20/05 09:10 AM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

I've lost 5 pounds in the last 10 days! (This is really good news for me though!) This is from following the diet, and drinking tons of water & herb teas. (I also just got my period today, and still have not gone up any on weight from bloating, so I may have lost more than that!)
Having said that, the fact that you've lost so much weight & are still having constant D is troubling. Are you following Heather's diet, or doing any type of IBS diet? I would definitely try to get stable by diet and supplements. I think I'd talk to the dr again too, if you're still having that many problems, I'd be worrying about dehydration & such.
Good luck!

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

Re: Have you lost weight?? (Maybe TMI for guys...) new
      #180376 - 05/20/05 12:06 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

Sorry I might have not been so clear on my post. Ever since I have been released from the hospital I have IBS w/ C I cant go now(BM) unless I take my Zelnorm pill. I was just wondering if the weight loss was normal and from the responses it seems to be. Thanks for your answers

#180390 - 05/20/05 01:23 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I agree with everyone else - it's mostly due to the diet, if you're following it.

That said, I had an ED for quite a while and actually am smaller now than I was before, but I also spend almost 2 hours a day at the gym. I weigh more than I did before, but it's all muscle.

Congrats to you, though, on that weight loss and hope your tummy is treating you well!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#180393 - 05/20/05 01:28 PM
jules_27_2005

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: British Columbia, Canada

The combination of exercising plus dieting has helped me lose weight. I have lost between 30-40 pounds.

I know the feeling when you get a flare up. I am sure everyone here always wants to be near a bathroom in the event you might get one.

#180394 - 05/20/05 01:40 PM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

Many people on this board have trouble losing weight on this diet. I am one of them and I am not cheating - though I am C and not D. It's great that you have been able to lose weight - but I would be careful you are not losing it too quickly as that is not healthy. If it continues - would see someone. Anne

#180417 - 05/20/05 03:08 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I have lost about 6 lbs in the past 5 months. I know that's not a lot,but I was fairly happy with my weight before. Right now, I weigh about 117 and I REALLY don't want to lose anymore. I'd rather weigh about 120. My doctors think it's IBS, too. And I'm also pretty sure it is. We'll see what the colonoscopy says next month.

Anyway, hang in there. This is a great site - lots of wonderful, supportive, helpful people here.

I've liost 11 lbs (YAY!) since starting Heather's diet and Zelnorm... new
      #180437 - 05/20/05 10:35 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

but I'm more on the C side, and really need to lose it. I know it must be scary when you DON"T need to though. Best of luck.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I lost weight and worry too new
      #180446 - 05/21/05 02:16 AM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I lost weight when I was first diagnosed too. I was normally a few pounds over 100 (I'm 5') and dropped down to 97 because food did just not stay in me with D and I didn't want to eat because it made me sick, so of course we would lose weight.

I hover around 100 now, and even that worries me (and my parents) a little. I'm almost stable, but I attribute it to eating healthy. I certainly think if I ate french fries and stuff I would weigh more, but yeah, that thing about how IBS shouldn't cause weight loss kinda scares me too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1865 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1458

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review