All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Yay for Digestive Advantage!
      #180235 - 05/20/05 01:49 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

Yipee! I started taking Digestive Advantage about 4 days ago, and hooboy...it is working! I'm typically a D person, and usually the only think that stops it is not eating Well, as of yesterday, I haven't had any D. My BM's have been very healthy (I won't say more than that) so it's not like taking imodium or pepto or any of those other anti-D meds. My body is actually starting to feel kinda normal. The only wierd thing is that I had abdominal cramps this morning (like usual) and I thought I was going to have my daily morning D, but instead everything came out healthy and normal. I ate something last night that gave me a tummy ache, so I think the pain this morning was from that and not related to my daily morning D. Anyway, I was just so excited, I thought I'd share my new discovery...anyone who hasn't tried it before should give it a try. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but you never know if you don't try!

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yay for Digestive Advantage! new
      #180239 - 05/20/05 03:44 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yeah! Glad to hear it's working for you!

#180245 - 05/20/05 05:12 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

What is Digestive Advantage? Where can I find it to try it out?
Thanks,

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#180249 - 05/20/05 05:41 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

I have been on Digestive Advantage a couple of months - and it is working well for me as well. Remember though - when your period comes - you may have to increase the dosage from 1 to 2 tablets as it says on the package. You can purchase it at some drug stores. I have seen it at CVS and Brooks. (but not all CVS's and Brooks) Anne

#180254 - 05/20/05 05:56 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Quote:

I have been on Digestive Advantage a couple of months - and it is working well for me as well. Remember though - when your period comes - you may have to increase the dosage from 1 to 2 tablets as it says on the package. You can purchase it at some drug stores. I have seen it at CVS and Brooks. (but not all CVS's and Brooks) Anne

Anne do you take this in addition to other SF supplements or is this in place of something like Benefiber?

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

I agree! new
      #180269 - 05/20/05 06:42 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I have also been taking DA for about 4 days and I really think it is working wonders!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: I agree! new
      #180271 - 05/20/05 06:44 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I think I have seen this. Is it in regular stores? Also is it for IBS-C?? Is is for long term use? Sorry for all the questions!

#180273 - 05/20/05 06:46 AM
MCV

I get mine at CVS. Here's a link to their web site. There's a listing on there of where you can buy it.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#180274 - 05/20/05 06:48 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Thanks Michelle!

#180322 - 05/20/05 09:15 AM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

Yes, it is for ALL symptoms of IBS, and can be bought OTC in drugstores. I got mine from Walgreens, it's in the same section as the laxatives/Immodium, etc. I've been on it a week now, and between that & changing my diet, I am feeling SO much better!!
I've actually had THREE bm's this week!! That's like a record for me!! (Kind of sad that going potty can get you so excited, huh? LOL)
It's definitely worth trying. I'm feeling so much better this week, I've lost 5 pounds in the last 10 days, and haven't had any attacks in the last week. (Maybe a mild one or two, but barely noticeable compared to normal!)

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

#180323 - 05/20/05 09:16 AM
Shelli73

Quote:

Remember though - when your period comes - you may have to increase the dosage from 1 to 2 tablets as it says on the package.

Do you know why you have to do that?? What is it about the period that changes things? I'm just curious. I started mine today, and forgot to up my dose, so I guess I'll take another one with lunch.

--------------------

#180333 - 05/20/05 09:50 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

The package says - Trigger events, trigger foods, being sick with a cold or flu or menstrusting may also require supplementing whatever dose you may find best. I found that I did have to take it when I got my period - would assume this is due to hormones.

I also take Acacia 2 Tablespoons a day.

Anne

Digestive Advantage is working for me, too! new
      #182273 - 05/31/05 02:18 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I just wanted to add that I've been taking Digestive Advantage for a week now and I can see an improvement!

I'm mostly stable following Heather's diet, but I can imidiately tell when I've cheated. This last week I've been the most stable since starting the diet in Jan, and I've fallen off the wagen twice (and I flew to LA for the weekend, which usually sets me off a little).

So I say thumbs up for DA!

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Digestive Advantage for Cs new
      #182279 - 05/31/05 02:37 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

tagging on here. seems most posting re: digestive advantage are ds.

please, those few who are c or a, keep us updated on your progress or (lack thereof )

for now, how is the gas/ bloat 'factor'? (or is it too early to tell?)

#182293 - 05/31/05 03:02 PM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

what is it? are they enzymes?

Re: Digestive Advantage for Cs new
      #182304 - 05/31/05 03:48 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I started it last week, but I was also on my period so my tummy was not happy. Anyway, there was a whole lot of gas/bloat last week, and I was in the ER on Sunday night. So, no progress yet (and maybe some negative progress), but I'm feeling fine today.

I'll keep you updated.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#182308 - 05/31/05 04:08 PM
MCV

I'm an A - I've been taking the DA for 2 or 3 weeks now and it I have hardly any gas/bloat compared to what I used to get. I used to get crippling pain daily for hours - not I get it every few days and it is manageable. I vote "YAY" for DA!!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

It really works? new
      #182312 - 05/31/05 04:25 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Why have I never heard of this before? Is it new? I think I'm going to buy it today, and I feel excited about it. Does it really work? Better than other meds?

#182314 - 05/31/05 04:38 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

thanx you two! keep us posted, please. i'm screwing up my courage to try it soon....

~ pulse

What it is new
      #182319 - 05/31/05 04:43 PM
Dia

It's enzymes and some amino acids. My box is at home, so I'm not sure exactly, but the website is http://www.ganedenbiotech.com

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: It really works? new
      #182321 - 05/31/05 04:45 PM
Dia

Again, it's NOT a miracle cure, but I do feel better. I'm sure I can't have pizza and beer tonight and be ok, though!

HTH,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Free sample! new
      #182325 - 05/31/05 04:56 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I saw this in my local drugstore the other day and laughed it off as just another silly attempt to understand IBS. Now it looks like maybe I should have taken it a little more seriously. On their website it says you can order a free 8 day sample, so I did! I have my IBS mostly under control with the diet, but it certainly would be nice to get a little less C and bloating. Definitely those already on it keep us updated!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Free sample! new
      #182426 - 06/01/05 05:12 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm still confused. Is this used in addition to SFS or in place of?

In addition to... new
      #182427 - 06/01/05 05:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...as it's a totally different product (enzyme and probiotic rather than SFS). Personally, I've found a SFS to be far more helpful...but it does depend on whether or not you personally need the enzymes and bacteria - I obviously don't.

Everyone really IS different... new
      #182428 - 06/01/05 05:16 AM
Linz

...when it comes to whether or not you need enzymes and probiotics so you can only know if DA will help you by trying it. Personally all those kind of products did nada for me.

For everyone who's thinking of trying DA following Karyn's success. new
      #182430 - 06/01/05 05:21 AM
Linz

PLEASE do a search on this as it has come up ALOT in the past. It's not actually that special (you could take the enzymes and the probiotics separately and it'd be the same thing) and it is NOT a miracle cure. Some people just need supplementary digestive enzymes and/or probiotics and if that's you, then it should help. I obviously DON'T need this stuff as all that kind of thing did nothing for me...but that's just me. You'll only know if it can help by trying it.

But you might actually be better off then trying a broad-spectrum probiotic with a good digestive enzyme supplement as what's in the DA is actually quite limited.

Just wanted to make sure you get all the info!

I agree new
      #182438 - 06/01/05 05:51 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I tried it and it did nothing for me -- but I am now on a good probiotic and enzymes and they did make a difference - the final death blow to gas & bloating (though the diet is what made the biggest change).

I agree too! new
      #182445 - 06/01/05 06:43 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Digestive advantage has been talked about a lot from all the posts I've gotten after doing a search. Seems like this is just something marketed towards the IBS population in specific because so many people have IBS and the company can "cash in" on this market. Cynical? Perhaps. It didn't do a darn thing for me, or for lots of others on the boards I presume just from reading old posts.

Here's Heather's thoughts on it. DA and DA

It's great if it helps you and I encourage you to keep taking it. But I just think people should realize it isn't such a miracle cure. It didn't do anything for many people, and I believe there are better probiotics out there.

I called the company and they couldn't even explain the ingredients in it to me. They had no idea about what soluble fiber is or what probiotic was in the product. They just kept saying "this is the only thing you'll ever need to take to cure your IBS...It takes care of every symptom." Now that's a red flag to me.

The company told me.. new
      #182446 - 06/01/05 06:45 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

it should replace any other supplements, including SFS. But they couldn't tell me how much SFS was in the product. I think you are better off doing an SFS and a good probiotic as separate product.

Wise words here!! There is no one-size-fits all with IBS! -nt- new
      #182473 - 06/01/05 08:23 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Maybe it is time for an update... new
      #182484 - 06/01/05 08:44 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

I did have some good days after initially starting DA. However, things started to fall apart D-wize. I've been taking it faithfully every morning, but it does not let me eat whatever I want. I've been having some serious doubts about DA over the last few days I feel kind of bad for stirring up hopes for some maybe a little prematurely. I do think it is worth a try...and if it doesn't work...well...they are really yummy!

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

Thanks for sharing this honestly. new
      #182588 - 06/01/05 01:11 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

It's good for people to know.

#182761 - 06/01/05 10:32 PM
Shelli73

I'm mostly C, and I can say that DA has made a big difference for me. Of course, I'm also drinking a TON more water & herb tea, I've cut out all colas...so I can't say it's ALL from DA. But my cramping & bloating is better, and I've lost a few pounds. I'll stick with it for now!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1707 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19173

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review