All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Speaking from experience... new
      #180106 - 05/19/05 12:22 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

...that round of antibiotics had me MAJORLY backed up, but with quite a few doses of miralax and magnesium (i'm talking 2000-2500mg A DAY of magnesium), I'm doing FANTASTIC. Better than I have in almost a year. Take a whole bunch of miralax or magnesium and you'll get going again.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Speaking from experience... new
      #180163 - 05/19/05 03:29 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Thanks for this. It helps to know someone has been though something similar with at least one of the same drugs I took. And happy to know that the "damage" wasn't permanent. I've got to get my doc to prescribe Miralax though.

My doctor warned me new
      #180198 - 05/19/05 06:53 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

that this was way too much magnesium to take in one day. He said it was not safe for the GI system and could cause long term problems.

Bump for Chris - did you read this? - nt new
      #180327 - 05/20/05 09:25 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Re: Bump for Chris - did you read this? - nt new
      #180419 - 05/20/05 03:36 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

Yep, I did. Not sure what I think of all this yet. The Cedars clinic would say that the SIBO is IBS. In their experience, when the bacterial overgrowth is cleared up most or all of the "IBS" symptoms disappear. They are trying to get at what is causing the set of symptoms currently referred to as IBS.

I appreciate this perspective and have always resisted the diagnosis of IBS without more understanding of what that actually means. However, I also believe that the etiology IBS is complex and not the same for every person.

Perhaps in my case SIBO was a big part of the equation. Taking the drugs seemed to knock out the bad bacteria. But I'm guessing the drugs also killed a lot of good bacteria, and in some way "traumatized" the gut. (Another way of saying what you said in your post). Also, I'm no longer taking the aloe supplement that I've been taking for so long, which may have damaged the natural motility and peristaltic action of my gut.

In any event, I appreciate your thoughts. I am (and have been throughout the treatment) on the IBS diet, drinking lots of strong peppermint tea, taking Heather's peppermint capsules, etc. The last couple of days I've been reintroducing fiber and probiotics in small amounts.

Forgot to mention: the Cedars clinic recommends a diet they call "low-residue". The intention is to only eat foods that easily absorbed high up in the small intestine, thus preventing "residue" in the lower parts of the intestine and the symptoms caused by that. It is similar to the IBS diet, but has some differences (for example, they definitely don't recommend soy or any legumes because they're all very high residue foods).

If anyone is interested, post here and perhaps I'll write a post with their guidelines. Not to create more confusion, but to offer something that might be helpful for folks who haven't had total success with this diet.

Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 712 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2216

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review