All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Identifying Triggers
      #179762 - 05/18/05 06:25 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

For many starting the diet, identifying triggers is very difficult. Even keeping a food journal doesn't always make it easier. And some triggers do not effect a person immediately. I will repeat that: Sometimes trigger foods do not have an immediate and obvious negative effect. That is why taking all triggers out is so necessary. You really cannot say a trigger food (such as dairy) does not bother you if you are having symptoms and obviously you are if you are starting the diet. Dairy doesn't lead to immediate painful reactions in most people but causes C and bloating on a more regular, level basis. Also carbonation for instance, might not cause a noticable reaction but could be and probably is, contributing to gas and bloating from day to day.
So trigger foods need to be eliminated from the diet until a person sees tangible benefits and then experiments can be done to see if you are not so touchy with certain ones. Some people here can handle fats better or dairy in moderate amounts- others cannot ever.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hear, Hear! -nt- new
      #179807 - 05/18/05 09:04 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

GREAT advice Tamara! (attn: newbies!) -nt- new
      #179828 - 05/18/05 10:02 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Awesome reminder for us too!! new
      #179907 - 05/18/05 03:18 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I still am getting out of the habit of cheating, but it gets better every day. i have found even after a week without a trig, when i go back to it I notice it more strongly, and immediately.

Coffee for instance, now OBVIOUSLY gives me C and makes me hungry! Gurgly too. I never knew this before.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Awesome reminder for us too!! new
      #179930 - 05/18/05 05:14 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Heck, too much Pam spray will get me running--honestly, truly, and seriously. Is anyone else this bad?

question for D types new
      #179938 - 05/18/05 05:36 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I know that's especially the case for folks who have C and bloating. Things seem to be more immediate with D types, if you know what I mean. I'm just curious if other D-ers have delays too or find that most of their triggers bug them right off the bat (or in the dreaded morning).

Pam new
      #179939 - 05/18/05 05:37 PM
Little Minnie

I actually heard on that healthy cooking show with a guy (don't know name ) that a quick spray of Pam is FF but spraying for several seconds is not. That is all I know.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

yes you are right new
      #179940 - 05/18/05 05:38 PM
Little Minnie

I can get D PDQ from cheating.

--------------------

What is PDQ? It's not on the list! nt new
      #179949 - 05/18/05 05:47 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

pretty darn quick- not an IBS term- nt new
      #179961 - 05/18/05 07:09 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Timing of D triggers... new
      #179964 - 05/18/05 07:16 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I find that if I *really* cheat (rarely or never) then I'll get D immediately (like a spoonful of ice cream would send me running. But if I eat too much at one sitting or something like that I'll maybe just get a bit bloated afterwards and the resulting D won't hit me until the next morning - yeah, mornings are the worst.

Re: question for D types new
      #179974 - 05/18/05 08:38 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I can get a bad bout of D anywhere from the first bite of something until six hours later I have timed it. Sometimes if I ate a trigger before bed it could hit immediately until halfway through the next day.

That is why I just try to stay away from triggers!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: question for D types new
      #179988 - 05/19/05 12:41 AM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

When I used to drink regular milk, I would have a bowl of cereal at night and D in the morning after I ate breakfast.

Re: Timing of D triggers... new
      #180040 - 05/19/05 07:50 AM
Wind

A trigger, depending on the origin/source, will impact me within minutes up until halfway through the next day. For example, nuts/dairy/added fat will get me running rather quickly--dairy being the most accelerrating trigger. Anything
branny or flax or oaty or spicey or cruciferous/sulfurous--three hours or less. Heck, too much avocado and I'm running before dinner is over!

Apple skins, or skins in general--two hours.

Re: Pam new
      #180042 - 05/19/05 07:53 AM
Wind

Maybe it's the aerosol? The "Pam"--ness of it? I guess it does coat. It's probably just me. I still use it, though...only with hyper lightening speed.

Identifying Triggers for constipation/pain predominant new
      #180045 - 05/19/05 08:01 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Being a C, I have yet to figure out one single trigger food! And this is after a year or more of this pain and constipation!

I still have No Clue as to what is a trigger for me! I avoid everything on Heather's list but that was just because it was plainly outined and no guessing. But other than that, have no clue! And I still have no clue as to the amounts of IF that is "tolerable" at one time. Don't even know if I can handle skins or raw fruits because I am always in pain no matter how/what I eat.

Anyone know how I can figure out my triggers or amounts I can handle when I don't have immediate reactions or D! Please, any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Re: Timing of D triggers... new
      #180060 - 05/19/05 08:51 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

I find that if I *really* cheat (rarely or never) then I'll get D immediately (like a spoonful of ice cream would send me running. But if I eat too much at one sitting or something like that I'll maybe just get a bit bloated afterwards and the resulting D won't hit me until the next morning - yeah, mornings are the worst.

This is exactly how my D is triggered! Cheating can cause an immediate attack (from minutes to a couple of hours later, especially with dairy), while overeating usually affects me the following day. Mornings are the worst for me as well.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (05/19/05 09:06 AM)

I'm like that with milk. It's not pretty. nt new
      #180101 - 05/19/05 11:52 AM
_Willow

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Yeah, with my C, I feel the same. Dairy=D for me, but new
      #180102 - 05/19/05 11:54 AM
_Willow

everything else MUST be C. I ALWAYS have a dull ache in my gut and have grown accustomed to it. Coffee really maekes me C, that's ALL i know.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Identifying Triggers for constipation/pain predominant new
      #180103 - 05/19/05 12:13 PM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I am the exact same way!
I have a hard time identifying them also because I always have the crampy pain. I have a BM every day faithfully but still have the cramp feeling regardless.
Everything gives me gas, and BEANO doesn't help at all.
It is very frustrating. Butttt It will be 2 years this august that I have been dealing with it so it kind of becaomes second nature to expect the pain and gas all the time...
I can't tell if the "trigger" food was something I ate yesterday or possibly the day before...
So you absolutely are not alone.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

there is more to the diet than avoiding triggers new
      #180134 - 05/19/05 02:06 PM
Little Minnie

I have a very Heather-sounding answer; a very important part of treating IBS is the prebiotic acacia and drinking enough and getting exercise. And she really stresses eating insolubles. Try to not be afraid of them; they are not on the real trigger list. I think the D types sometimes inadvertantly make the C types too afraid of insolubles. With acacia and a more balanced diet you might see improvement. (or not- who knows? )

--------------------

Re: BUMP - Excellent information here! -nt- new
      #265974 - 05/27/06 07:27 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5123

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review