All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Question about making fennel tea....
      #179542 - 05/17/05 07:52 AM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

I found some McCormick organic fennel seeds in the grocery store. Can I make the tea with those? If so, how much of the seeds would you use for one cup of tea, and how long should it brew? Fennel is best for bloating & cramps, correct? I'm trying to keep all my herbs straight!!
Thanks!!

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sorry, I think I found the answer to my question.... new
      #179543 - 05/17/05 07:55 AM
Shelli73

1 tablespoon of fennel seeds per cup of tea?? It sounds like what I bought will work fine.
I promise I looked before I posted, couldn't find the answer....then right after posting, I stumbled across it!! LOL

--------------------

Re: Question about making fennel tea.... new
      #179544 - 05/17/05 07:55 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I use about a teaspoon of seeds per mug of boiling water. You can cut them up on a cutting board with a knife a bit to make them more potent. Just put them in a tea strainer and steep for as long as you want. The longer, the stronger, obviously.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

or you can smash them a little in a small mortar and pestle- nt new
      #179614 - 05/17/05 02:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I had the *hardest* time trying to cut those little seeds up! new
      #179652 - 05/17/05 04:58 PM
Shelli73

They seemed to 'jump' all over the place while I was trying to cut them. I finally gave up...I think I only cut about 1/4 of the seeds. I wish I had a mortar & pestle!! It still came out okay, I think I needed to use a little more of the seeds, since I didn't get them cut up. I wasn't crazy about the flavor, but it was better than the ginger tea I brewed the other night...I found out I really don't care for ginger!!

--------------------

fennel seeds new
      #179667 - 05/17/05 06:16 PM
hanaleni

Reged: 04/27/05

I just bought my first bag of Heather's seeds and have made two cups so far. I think I will like it better when I strain them more efficiently. I do like the smell and would like to use the seeds after they've been brewed. Any suggestions? They smell so good still: I hate to throw them out. Right now they are in a bowl making the kitchen smell nice. For the tea, I rolled them with a roling pin in some foil. I would like to get a pestle and mortar and also a tea ball.

Re: I had the *hardest* time trying to cut those little seeds up! new
      #179679 - 05/17/05 07:02 PM
Little Minnie

They are super hard to grind in the mortar too as they jump out a lot. I never used to grind them at all so it does work that way too. I love gingerroot tea! with honey and a little lemon, but to each his own. The fennel tea is not so good by itself- I mix 1 part peppermint to 2 or 3 parts fennel and I put in sugar.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: fennel seeds new
      #179680 - 05/17/05 07:03 PM
Little Minnie

I'm cheap and sometimes use the seeds for several cups of tea- I just add a little more when it gets weak.

--------------------

#179691 - 05/17/05 07:30 PM
hanaleni

Reged: 04/27/05

How much do you start with?
Do you just add more boiled water?
Do you ever reheat it - but not to boiling point?
I also put the mug on my tummy. I have a rice sock - a sports sock filled with dried rice grains - which I heat for two mins in the microwave. Its very flexible - and soothing. I actually thought about adding my used fennel seeds to that as the Jasmine rice smells like food.

About your ginger tea - I just bought some fresh ginger for the first time and am wondering how I can use it.
How much ginger and do you chop it up finely. How ling do you steep it before drinking.
I have some peppermin tbags which I've been cautious about. Maybe I could open them and add some fennel seeds. I just don't know if I would like the two together.

#179693 - 05/17/05 07:43 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

How much do you start with? It depends how I am making the tea. If I use a tea ball I fill it half way and will get 2 cups out of it. If I steep the tea in a pot I guess I use 1T per cup maybe. I am not sure since I just eyeball it and don't have a formula.
Do you just add more boiled water? yep or if it is in the pot I just heat it up again.
Do you ever reheat it - but not to boiling point?
I also put the mug on my tummy. I have a rice sock - a sports sock filled with dried rice grains - which I heat for two mins in the microwave. Its very flexible - and soothing. I actually thought about adding my used fennel seeds to that as the Jasmine rice smells like food.

About your ginger tea - I just bought some fresh ginger for the first time and am wondering how I can use it.
How much ginger and do you chop it up finely. How ling do you steep it before drinking. Do you mean use it for tea or in cooking too? For tea I cut a "knob" or a couple inches long piece and put it in a small saucepan and fill with water. I am not sure how much those small saucepans hold but probably a couple cups. I bring it to a boil and then leave it covered and steep until it is cool enough to drink. I pour out the water in my mug and add honey and 1t lemon juice. Then I add more water to the pan and let it sit there. It can sit for a day or 2. I heat up that when I want more tea. The ginger is so powerful that you can keep adding water to it for a couple days and several cups! When it isn't smelling like ginger anymore it is time to get a new chunk.
I have some peppermin tbags which I've been cautious about. Maybe I could open them and add some fennel seeds. I just don't know if I would like the two together. I think fennel alone isn't so good but with peppermint is tastes nice. They do not clash. I think they clash with ginger though! Fennel and ginger together is icky.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1370 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3381

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review