All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Zelnorm for more than a year?
      #179477 - 05/16/05 08:33 PM
john g

Reged: 05/14/05

Has anyone taken Zelnorm (tagaserod) for more than year straight? I can take half a tablet once a day and it helps me a lot, but have only taken it for up to 2 weeks because they say it is for women and for short term use only. Now, I have given up on diet. I just want to take Zelnorm the rest of my life. Can I do this without killing myself? How dangerous is long term Zelnorm?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zelnorm for more than a year? new
      #179570 - 05/17/05 09:54 AM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

There is nothing in the literature that says men cannot take zelnorm. What does your MD say about taking it? I started taking it two weeks ago. I am not having quite the BMs I would like but the bloating and pain are gone. I am a nurse and have taken care of patients who take zelnorm for life. My MD says I can take it too. It might be better(just a suggestion) to just worry about the immediate future because maybe in ten years there will be something better. Kate

#179976 - 05/18/05 09:21 PM
john g

Do you think that there is any chance that after taking Zelnorm for a long time that one might be worse off than before? Did you see this: "Took Zelnorm for 6 months the first time. It worked well at first to relieve the constipation, but the affect slowly wore off, and my symptoms became even worse. For the past year, I've been using it once a week as a laxative. But now, that's even unreliable."
I'm really worried about what to do. Thanks.

#179980 - 05/18/05 10:31 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Is your problem more constipation or pain or both? I have heard that some of the folks on this site use it on a as needed basis.

By the way, it's now being OK'd for use in men as an anti-C new
      #180100 - 05/19/05 11:51 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

or so i take it, as the commercials have men in them. So I think it's OK, but I ownder if it doesn't work as effectively for men with IBS.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#180342 - 05/20/05 10:13 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

I've been taking a 6 mg. tablet 2 times a day for 2 1/2 years straight now. My Gastro Dr., and my pharmacist assure me this is fine to take all the time. I have not noticed ANY worsening of my symptoms or it not working anymore. And, I've never heard of it being used on a "as needed" basis, or as a laxative. I don't think it's meant to work that way. My only problem with Zelnorm is the price--it's expensive even with my insurance. But, a small price to pay if it works for you.

#180724 - 05/23/05 12:04 AM
john g

tierny and all, it's very helpful to know that you have been on it for 2.5 years. What if you try to come off it? Or what if I only take it once a day? Why not? Any reasons for the bid dosing? Thanks!

#180790 - 05/23/05 12:33 PM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

I did try to decrease my daily dose by 1/2 (going from 6 mg. 2 X a day to 3 mg. 2 X a day) but I started have problems with going, right away, so I chickened out and started back at my original dose. I was probably only off of the reg. dose for a week but noticed problems started within that week. Now, the problems could have been something entirely unrelated to decreasing the Zelnorm, and I haven't tried doing that since to see for sure. Just scared me and I panicked and quickly resumed by normal dosage. Someday I'll get up the nerve to try to cut it in 1/2 again and see if I get the same results. I just hate to mess with something that seems to be working.....know what I mean?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4566 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4779

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review