All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
psyllium success stories!!!
      #179399 - 05/16/05 02:33 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

will anyone who has tried psyllium as a SFS reply with the success theyve had with it?? i really want to try it and found the perfect kind to buy but i wanted to know more about it. i read an article about it and it seemed pretty on-the-dot effective but ive been adding in/taking away and playing with all the stuff i take for ibs and im a little nervous to try adding in something else. a few questions:

1>> is psyllium the only SFS you take??

2>> is it ideal for replacing other SFS?

3>> does it work better when taking something with it like acacia? or miralax??

4>> whats your dosages??

thanks *SO* much in advance for any feedback!!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: psyllium success stories!!! new
      #179425 - 05/16/05 05:04 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Psyllium was a nightmare for me. I felt abominably inflated and grossly bloated--like the Michelan Man! Yes, I drank lots of water/herbal tea. It also impacted my breathing. It felt like having "clumps" and lumps of stuff in me; if anything it caused me intense anxiety. Based on my experience I would never recommend a psyllium product to anyone. It is cruel.

#179446 - 05/16/05 06:41 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Wow, that sounds scary. I guess I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. It has helped me tremendously. I started with the powder, then the cookies, then the capsules and now I'm on only the capsules with calcium.

I take three of them three times a day - but that's still not much when you read the label. (heard all you guys raving about Heather's acacia so I just got some and was wondering about adding/substituting too.)

The psyllium has especially helped me in the mornings if I take it the night before. I think I started taking one pill three times and day and worked up to three pills three times a day. I'm D predom. if it matters.

Ash, I'd just replied in my post...to new
      #179450 - 05/16/05 06:55 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

the fact that I swear that psyllium works wonders for me. I mean, it'd be useless without Heather's diet, but when I'm even JUST on an SFS it makes a huge dif. It's the only one I use, it's the only one I've ever used, and I have about 2-3 TBSP in a smoothie every bfast.MMM.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

OO thanks! new
      #179490 - 05/16/05 10:18 PM
little bear

OO yummy whats the equivelant to that in capsules?? im assuming you use a powder? where do you find the powder? i found some capsules @ the W.F. near me with a vegetarian formula making the capsule-part okay for me to eat [its made w/a vegatable base instead of gelatin] id actually like to quit all of my stuff im taking for a day or 2 so its not in my body and then i can "start over" kind of, hopefully with the psyllium!! thanks shannon!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179491 - 05/16/05 10:27 PM
little bear

really??! ohhh---do you have asthma? or breathing difficulty normally? the article i read on psyllium mentioned
Quote:

"an exceedingly small amount of people are allergic to it [ie: asthma]"

i have asthma and more recently have been having alot of problems with it and the rapidly changing weather [here in lovely chicago ] thanks for your reply! im *really* glad you mentioned the trouble with breathing b/c now i can be a little more aware--bye!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179492 - 05/16/05 10:32 PM
little bear

hey-
im a C. whats predominant mean BTW? thats great to hear about the psyllium working for you! do you have breathing/asthma problems? i read it may effect those--and another person who replied said she had trouble. i have asthma and want to make sure. where did you get the powder/cookies?? are the cookies only psyllium? or other ingredients as well?

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179499 - 05/16/05 11:15 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

will anyone who has tried psyllium as a SFS reply with the success theyve had with it?? i really want to try it and found the perfect kind to buy but i wanted to know more about it. i read an article about it and it seemed pretty on-the-dot effective but ive been adding in/taking away and playing with all the stuff i take for ibs and im a little nervous to try adding in something else. a few questions:

1>> is psyllium the only SFS you take?? No. I take Acacia during the day (or FiberChoice if I travel) and the psyllium at night, just before bed. I'm a "C" and use Konsyl brand of psyllium.

2>> is it ideal for replacing other SFS? Only if you enjoy bloating..LOL. I find Acacia non-bloating but psyllium has a little quirky characteristic ---it WILL bloat you.

3>> does it work better when taking something with it like acacia? or miralax?? I think so.

4>> whats your dosages?? 15 g., or 3 rounded teaspoons of the psyllium at night....The others..about the same amount..15 g. SFS but spaced out over the day before meals.

thanks *SO* much in advance for any feedback!!! You're welcome Kandee

--------------------

#179501 - 05/17/05 12:17 AM
little bear

hey thank you!! you answered all my Q's you take the powder-form psyllium im guessing, right? i so far have only come across the capsules but still have some more places to check! i used to take fiberchoice too--the orange ones from jewel right? do those work well for you? i had alot of problems with them and other SFS sold at jewel like benefiber, fibercons and the fiberchoice. thanks again for your reply!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179541 - 05/17/05 07:50 AM
Wind

Yes, I have asthma and it (the psyllium) really messed up my breathing. I was really wheezing dangerously. It really clogged my air pipes and I got really itchy, too. And the bloating--literally inflated--was a terrifying nightmare! So, warning: if you have asthma be ULTRA CAUTIOUS, or even better AVOID psyllium.

One thing, though, that helps me is kelp/seaweed/chollera/spirulina. Do you eat any sea veg.?

#179562 - 05/17/05 09:18 AM
Kandee

Quote:

hey thank you!! you answered all my Q's you take the powder-form psyllium im guessing, right? right, and I take the fine grain...if you compare the cheaper stuff in the HFS it is ground courser than the Konsyl..BTW, don't forget to mix it fast and drink..it thickens up with lightening speed--start with a low, low dose and work up from there... i so far have only come across the capsules but still have some more places to check! i used to take fiberchoice too--the orange ones from jewel right? right (is jewel a drugstore?) do those work well for you? i had alot of problems with them and other SFS sold at jewel like benefiber, fibercons and the fiberchoice. thanks again for your reply! You're welcome..yes Fiberchoice can be hard for some people because of the inulin. Acacia seems to be the easiest on the tummy....Try Walmart for Konsyl...it's cheaper there than anyplace I've found..but almost any drug store carries it. The capsules of psyllium are ok to take..you just have to take a lot of them to get enuf fiber. Kandee

--------------------

#179577 - 05/17/05 11:22 AM
little bear

do you get the same effect if you mix the powder into a fruit-smoothie? i mix acacia in smoothies i make sometimes---other times tea. it thickens that fast?? i remember using citracel and it did the same thing!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179610 - 05/17/05 02:05 PM
little bear

i would actually like to incorporate some more of that into my diet but am *terrified* of having gas attacks that is how my C always starts. there is a vegan korean food restaurant that cooks with alot of seaweed! and i love a soup that has it in it but am unsure of how to use it in daily dishes [mostly dinners] any tips?? i would still kind of like to try the psyllium *just to see* if i have a reaction b/c i may not. im thinking my breathing most recently was aggrivated by the stress from my long working hours, the rapidly changing weather, and my horrible bloat. i tend to take deep breaths alot to cope with heavy bloat/nauseasness. i dont know why though.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

You're welcome! I bought Orange flavored Metamucil new
      #179623 - 05/17/05 03:14 PM
_Willow

the other day in Wal Mart, and it's powder, and goes for about $8. It's tacky to buy but not as "eating disorder" appearing as buying laxatives!LOL!

I buy the natural sugared flavor.

And as far as the capsules go, hmm??I don't know. But you could go to a HFS andf get the capsules and put the powder inside. i did that with kelp on one of my weight loss quests. it worked fine. The kelp did f* all!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I'm severely(2 attacks a day) asthmatic new
      #179624 - 05/17/05 03:16 PM
_Willow

and it's never bothered me. But then again, it's just me.

Weird huh?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

It does thicken fast, that's why i have it in a smoothie. _nt_ new
      #179625 - 05/17/05 03:24 PM
_Willow

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#179676 - 05/17/05 06:46 PM
Wind

Did the sea veg. give you a "gas" attack? Personally, I find it really helps with digestion!

Incidentally, sea veg. contains "alginates" which are good for bowel cleasing. I just learned this. Incidentally, "alginates" are in a lot of "laxatives." (i.e. "ex-lax tabs.) No joke. "Ex-lax" tabs. also contain acacia. Weird, huh?

I just add sea veg. to smoothies, juices, soups, salads...I love to eat dulse like a carnivore might eat jerky! I love rolling my own sushi for a quick breakfast or lunch with nori. Spirulina, or chollera is a great source of protein and amino acids for me; a wonderful cleanser of toxins and polluntants, too.

Earlier you had inquired re: the green apple juice cure.
It's basically a "gall bladder flush." There's another one involving lemon juice and olive oil (yes, drinking it) but the apple juice one works better. The malic acid in the apple juice is excellent in dissolving the stagnant bile accumulated in the liver and cleans you out. After three or four cups, on an empty tummy, you should be cleaner. It's kind of like cleaning the gunk out of a coffee pot with vinegar or cleaning a drain plug. The malic acid dissolves/collects the crap out of you--it's got that kind of attractive, purging action.

Sorry to be so graphic and to plug up the boards with this babble. If you're prone to bloating and asthma skip the psyllium.

Do you do any yoga, meditation? Does your diet contain enough "bulk?" Are you eating enough times a day?

Kandee, if you take ... new
      #179697 - 05/17/05 07:57 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

3 tablespoons of psylium at night, how do you get in the necessary liquid that is recommended to drink after taking the fiber?

Do you take the Konsyl in a cup of water and then drink another whole cup of water after that? Isn't the necessary to move the psylium through you?

But then wouldn't you be up all night with a full bladder? Aren't you too full at night (after eating all day) to add even more fiber to your body

Re: You're welcome! I bought Orange flavored Metamucil new
      #179700 - 05/17/05 08:14 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Drug stores and grocery stores seem to have all the varieties, though some places don't carry anything but the powder. I don't know where you are, but I get the capsules at Longs Drugs and Albertson. Cookies too. The capsules should be pretty widely available.

#179814 - 05/18/05 09:11 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Quote:

1>> is psyllium the only SFS you take?? No, I take it only at night and during the day I take 1 tsp of acacia (2.5g SF) and about 5gSF of citrucel capsules.

2>> is it ideal for replacing other SFS? Only at night, as kandee said

3>> does it work better when taking something with it like acacia? or miralax?? I take either magnesium or miralax daily and it works, so... probably

4>> whats your dosages?? I take 1 tsp at night, which is about 1.25g SF.

thanks *SO* much in advance for any feedback!!!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: You're welcome! I bought Orange flavored Metamucil new
      #179869 - 05/18/05 01:11 PM
little bear

awesome--thanks!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179871 - 05/18/05 01:23 PM
little bear

where do you find your "sea veg"? do you buy it raw and then cook it? if youre adding it to smoothies---is it raw too?

i tried the green apple juice the other day but for 4 organic green apples it was nearly 5 dollars!!! which is nothing but i got 3/4-a-cup of juice from those apples! i want to buy smaller ones in bigger bags so they last longer

i would *never* in a million years guessed that laxatives had acacia in them. they still are not on my list but its cool [kinda] that a less-harsh ingredient is in them.

i have yoga poses and pilates tapes but i hate doing them when im really C or bloated b/c it makes them harder to do. i cant concentrate as much b/c i can still feel the pain in my tummy

i eat enough in the day--sometimes too much but thats only if i dont have/get a chance to eat during the day. the pent up hunger hits me later when i ate the 'sea veg' before in the soup i had some minor gas/bloat but not too bad. theres this one dish w/tofu and brown rice that has seaweed in it that *always* gives me a problem im not sure why but its a pain in my butt! literally!! i have a HUGE problem w/beans of any kind, pinto esp.which i thought my tummy enjoyed but guess not.

since summers coming im going to be going on a diet i think--not a restricting one but one that pays more attention to things like sea veg, and other veggies, mushrooms, and healthier things. ive let myself get away with noshing on junkfood but since its vegan i dont look at it the same way as other junkfood but still--im gonna start doing more pilates and yoga b/c when i did it before, i really liked it! thanks for your reply, sorry mines soo long!! let me know more about the sea veg b/c im really curious. what kinds are the best to try?? bye!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

about the sea veg new
      #179874 - 05/18/05 01:33 PM
Cyndy

Why would you want to eat it if it caused you bloat and gas in the past? Just concerned for you and curious.

I'm trying the dulse and kombu now and unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be helping me at all. So frustrating that what works for one won't work for another, but it was worth a try.

I bought them at Whole Foods and have seen it at 3 local HFS.

What does this mean new
      #179876 - 05/18/05 01:35 PM
Cyndy

the kelp f* all? Does that mean it helped the C or it was bad?

I tried kelp for weight loss new
      #179904 - 05/18/05 02:56 PM
_Willow

and it did nothing.I didn't lose an ounce, and it was gross. That "f*" was me not using a profanity, lol!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: I'm severely(2 attacks a day) asthmatic new
      #179984 - 05/18/05 11:15 PM
little bear

you dont have a problem with the psyllium? good to hear! maybe i wont either do you ever get an attack from too much C/bloat?? i made a slight connection between the 2 and *think* that whenever im really bloated, i take deep breaths b/c i guess im still digesting and it results in loss-of-breath too quickly. strange

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Dulse is not helping me new
      #180047 - 05/19/05 08:06 AM
Cyndy

I've been taking 1 Tablespoon a day now and no BMs. Just gas, constipation, and continual bloat, as usual. In fact, it may be making me worse. Or maybe it just coincidence that I am having bad streak at the same time because I've had these symptoms pre-sea veggies. And I've recently reintroduced zelnorm to my diet to see if it helps the second time around, so some of the symptoms could be from this med.

I was so hoping this would work for me! I love the taste, so I don't want to have to give it up. Hope it isn't the cause of all this gas and pain now. I haven't had to use my heating pad in a while, but now I am back on the "hot water bottle".

At any rate, it has not helped give me a BM and I remain eternally consipated.

bump for kandee-nt new
      #180534 - 05/21/05 07:56 PM
Cyndy

Re: Kandee, if you take ... new
      #180553 - 05/21/05 11:51 PM
Kandee

Quote:

3 tablespoons of psyllium at night, how do you get in the necessary liquid that is recommended to drink after taking the fiber?

Do you take the Konsyl in a cup of water and then drink another whole cup of water after that? Isn't the necessary to move the psylium through you?

But then wouldn't you be up all night with a full bladder? Aren't you too full at night (after eating all day) to add even more fiber to your body

Good questions Cyndy!..and very valid based on the recommended way to take the stuff..I can only say it's probably best for most people to take it throughout the day to get the right amount of water. I just never have the time..and guess I'm weird in that I drink a LOT of water in between meals..but not with meal...so by night I have quite a bit of liquid in my system. I'll have to admit most people couldn't probably do what I do, NOR should they..after all lots of people choke easily on thick stuff... But, to be honest, yes I dump the 3 teaspoonfuls in a shaker cup with about 12 oz. of tepid water, shake quickly and down it with the speed of lightning. If I wait a second to long it thickens up on me, and I have to dump it out. Also, there have been times when yes, I did 3 individual cups of water...and yes, I did get up a couple times that night to empty my bladder..If anyone is going to try this..please start small, using only ONE teaspoonful for a long while and slowly working up from there....I have no idea what could happen if you tried this much at the beginning..and I would hate to have anyone trigger an attack by trying this.
If you eat an early dinner, then it's usually 3+ hrs before you retire for the night, so you really don't have that much left in your tummy. ..Kandee

--------------------

#180554 - 05/21/05 11:57 PM
Kandee

Quote:

do you get the same effect if you mix the powder into a fruit-smoothie? i mix acacia in smoothies i make sometimes---other times tea. it thickens that fast?? Yep.. i remember using citracel and it did the same thing!

Eww, never put psyllium in smoothies...I can't think of anything more disgusting tasting.........Acacia is the ONLY thing to use..because there is NO taste, and it doesn't thicken..you can put it in hot tea as well as cold blended drinks. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Kandee, if you take ... new
      #180589 - 05/22/05 07:49 AM
Cyndy

Thanks for your answer, Kandee. So, you drink it in 12 oz of water then just go to bed without drinking additional liquid to the 12 oz you took the konsyl in?

I want to try it your way to prevent bloat all day. I want to see if it works for my body to take it and night and see if I can "sleep through" the bloat stage. But I was worried because, as you know, the recommendation is to drink more water afterwards to flush it through the system. So I was a little confused if I could take it with liquid it was mixed in period , and not have to take additonal water after. I wasn't sure if I could just take it in water, then go to bed immediately after.

No, I would not start at 3 whole tablespoons. I thought maybe one whole Tablespoon would be safe. I guess I won't know until I try though. But I don't want this stuff gelling up in my colon and just sitting there. I know that causes problems too. It is a sure way for the psyllium, which is taken to help constipation, turn into the cause of the constipation.

So, did I get this correct yet? You just take it in 12 oz of water, that's it, then go to bed. No additional liquid because you've been drinking all day?

And no, I don't think you are unusual to drink all day and not with meals. On the contrary, I think that is what most of us do, and what is in fact, recommended.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. And yes, I understand it is just your personal opinion and not one that is the "golden rule" for all Cers! I won't hold you personally liable for how my body reacts!

Cyndy. MAJOR correction here....teaspoons NOT tablespoons.. new
      #180618 - 05/22/05 10:00 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Thanks for your answer, Kandee. You're welcome Cyndy. So, you drink it in 12 oz of water then just go to bed without drinking additional liquid to the 12 oz you took the konsyl in? Yep.

I want to try it your way to prevent bloat all day. I want to see if it works for my body to take it and night and see if I can "sleep through" the bloat stage. Oh you will, but don't be surprised if you have to "go" right after getting up and moving around or right after eating something. I get tiny pains, like gas pains, and that means I better get to a bathroom quickly..once that is done you'll have a bloat free, empty feeling moring..or at least I do. But I was worried because, as you know, the recommendation is to drink more water afterwards to flush it through the system. Yes, I know, and if you were doing this during the day I'd say definitely you'd need more water. So I was a little confused if I could take it with liquid it was mixed in period , and not have to take additonal water after. I wasn't sure if I could just take it in water, then go to bed immediately after. For me, that's the trick...hit the hay right after you take it...fall asleep and let it do it's thing.

No, I would not start at 3 whole tablespoons. TEASPOONS NOT TABLESPOONS PLEASE. If you tried that much you'd never get out of the cup except with a jack-hammer! LOL I thought maybe one whole Tablespoon would be safe. I guess I won't know until I try though. But I don't want this stuff gelling up in my colon and just sitting there. It won't if you're well hydrated to begin with. I know that causes problems too. It is a sure way for the psyllium, which is taken to help constipation, turn into the cause of the constipation. I've never heard this, but anything is possible. I also take stool softeners when I take the psyllium at night...so if the psyllium alone doesn't work for you, you may try adding them too.

So, did I get this correct yet? You just take it in 12 oz of water, that's it, then go to bed. No additional liquid because you've been drinking all day? Yep.

And no, I don't think you are unusual to drink all day and not with meals. On the contrary, I think that is what most of us do, and what is in fact, recommended. Yep, besides I live in the hot desert...and consuming a gallon of water on top of other liquids here is not uncommon. I carry tons of bottled water at all times with me in my car.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. And yes, I understand it is just your personal opinion and not one that is the "golden rule" for all Cers! I won't hold you personally liable for how my body reacts! Thanks, give it a try...you never know when something that works for one of us might work for another. I do know that because I have diverticulosis...it's a mild case, but diverticulitis none the less, the recommended minimum fiber is 30 grams daily. But I realize many with straight IBS-C alone may have to work up to approximately that much fiber. Once you find the right combination of SFS, that works for you, life is good! Good luck. Kandee

--------------------

Well, that IS quite a difference, isn't it new
      #180622 - 05/22/05 10:12 AM
Cyndy

So you only take 3 teaspoons a day, not 3 tablespoons like your initial post stated? Okay, thanks for clearing that up! So do you think I should start with less than one Tablespoon? Maybe only 1 teaspoon to start, or even less than that?

Re: Well, that IS quite a difference, isn't it new
      #180634 - 05/22/05 10:50 AM
Kandee

Quote:

So you only take 3 teaspoons a day, not 3 tablespoons like your initial post stated? You had me confused for a minute but I checked to see what I said and yes, I said teaspoons. Okay, thanks for clearing that up! So do you think I should start with less than one Tablespoon? Maybe only 1 teaspoon to start, or even less than that? Use one rounded teaspoon to start out, as the label recommends for one dose...it says 2 doses a day, but as you know..I take three...Kandee

--------------------

Okay, time to make an eye doc appointment new
      #180636 - 05/22/05 11:01 AM
Cyndy

Sorry about that! I think I'm losing it here! Maybe I was totally out of it that night. Thanks Kandee. So embarrassed here! Never mind.

So you take this 9 doses a day? Just kidding! I saw a clear 3 teaspoons a day.

Thanks for putting up with my "whoops".

Re: Okay, time to make an eye doc appointment new
      #180662 - 05/22/05 02:08 PM
Kandee

LMBO...No problem Cyndy...we all make mistakes..I just didn't want you to go into shock when you tried putting that much in the cup...there wouldn't be any room for the water!!! LOL Kandee

--------------------

Kandee new
      #183376 - 06/03/05 06:41 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you take a total of 30 grams of SFS in one day on top of your food fiber? Is this correct?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Kandee-bump-nt new
      #184098 - 06/06/05 06:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12266

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review