All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
psyllium success stories!!!
      #179399 - 05/16/05 02:33 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

will anyone who has tried psyllium as a SFS reply with the success theyve had with it?? i really want to try it and found the perfect kind to buy but i wanted to know more about it. i read an article about it and it seemed pretty on-the-dot effective but ive been adding in/taking away and playing with all the stuff i take for ibs and im a little nervous to try adding in something else. a few questions:

1>> is psyllium the only SFS you take??

2>> is it ideal for replacing other SFS?

3>> does it work better when taking something with it like acacia? or miralax??

4>> whats your dosages??

thanks *SO* much in advance for any feedback!!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: psyllium success stories!!! new
      #179425 - 05/16/05 05:04 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Psyllium was a nightmare for me. I felt abominably inflated and grossly bloated--like the Michelan Man! Yes, I drank lots of water/herbal tea. It also impacted my breathing. It felt like having "clumps" and lumps of stuff in me; if anything it caused me intense anxiety. Based on my experience I would never recommend a psyllium product to anyone. It is cruel.

#179446 - 05/16/05 06:41 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Wow, that sounds scary. I guess I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. It has helped me tremendously. I started with the powder, then the cookies, then the capsules and now I'm on only the capsules with calcium.

I take three of them three times a day - but that's still not much when you read the label. (heard all you guys raving about Heather's acacia so I just got some and was wondering about adding/substituting too.)

The psyllium has especially helped me in the mornings if I take it the night before. I think I started taking one pill three times and day and worked up to three pills three times a day. I'm D predom. if it matters.

Ash, I'd just replied in my post...to new
      #179450 - 05/16/05 06:55 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

the fact that I swear that psyllium works wonders for me. I mean, it'd be useless without Heather's diet, but when I'm even JUST on an SFS it makes a huge dif. It's the only one I use, it's the only one I've ever used, and I have about 2-3 TBSP in a smoothie every bfast.MMM.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

OO thanks! new
      #179490 - 05/16/05 10:18 PM
little bear

OO yummy whats the equivelant to that in capsules?? im assuming you use a powder? where do you find the powder? i found some capsules @ the W.F. near me with a vegetarian formula making the capsule-part okay for me to eat [its made w/a vegatable base instead of gelatin] id actually like to quit all of my stuff im taking for a day or 2 so its not in my body and then i can "start over" kind of, hopefully with the psyllium!! thanks shannon!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179491 - 05/16/05 10:27 PM
little bear

really??! ohhh---do you have asthma? or breathing difficulty normally? the article i read on psyllium mentioned
Quote:

"an exceedingly small amount of people are allergic to it [ie: asthma]"

i have asthma and more recently have been having alot of problems with it and the rapidly changing weather [here in lovely chicago ] thanks for your reply! im *really* glad you mentioned the trouble with breathing b/c now i can be a little more aware--bye!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179492 - 05/16/05 10:32 PM
little bear

hey-
im a C. whats predominant mean BTW? thats great to hear about the psyllium working for you! do you have breathing/asthma problems? i read it may effect those--and another person who replied said she had trouble. i have asthma and want to make sure. where did you get the powder/cookies?? are the cookies only psyllium? or other ingredients as well?

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179499 - 05/16/05 11:15 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

will anyone who has tried psyllium as a SFS reply with the success theyve had with it?? i really want to try it and found the perfect kind to buy but i wanted to know more about it. i read an article about it and it seemed pretty on-the-dot effective but ive been adding in/taking away and playing with all the stuff i take for ibs and im a little nervous to try adding in something else. a few questions:

1>> is psyllium the only SFS you take?? No. I take Acacia during the day (or FiberChoice if I travel) and the psyllium at night, just before bed. I'm a "C" and use Konsyl brand of psyllium.

2>> is it ideal for replacing other SFS? Only if you enjoy bloating..LOL. I find Acacia non-bloating but psyllium has a little quirky characteristic ---it WILL bloat you.

3>> does it work better when taking something with it like acacia? or miralax?? I think so.

4>> whats your dosages?? 15 g., or 3 rounded teaspoons of the psyllium at night....The others..about the same amount..15 g. SFS but spaced out over the day before meals.

thanks *SO* much in advance for any feedback!!! You're welcome Kandee

--------------------

#179501 - 05/17/05 12:17 AM
little bear

hey thank you!! you answered all my Q's you take the powder-form psyllium im guessing, right? i so far have only come across the capsules but still have some more places to check! i used to take fiberchoice too--the orange ones from jewel right? do those work well for you? i had alot of problems with them and other SFS sold at jewel like benefiber, fibercons and the fiberchoice. thanks again for your reply!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179541 - 05/17/05 07:50 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yes, I have asthma and it (the psyllium) really messed up my breathing. I was really wheezing dangerously. It really clogged my air pipes and I got really itchy, too. And the bloating--literally inflated--was a terrifying nightmare! So, warning: if you have asthma be ULTRA CAUTIOUS, or even better AVOID psyllium.

One thing, though, that helps me is kelp/seaweed/chollera/spirulina. Do you eat any sea veg.?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12266

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review