All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
celexa and IBS
      #179132 - 05/15/05 01:21 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

I have a question, has anyone had trouble with celexa while taking it or getting off of it? I started it a year ago in hopes that it would help my stress thus helping my IBS. Celexa made me grind my teeth and I believe made me more D. I decided to taper off it and at the same time started Zelnorm. I do feel better but not sure from the Zelnorm or getting off celexa. The only problem is coming off celexa has been difficult. Anyone relate?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh yeah! new
      #179251 - 05/16/05 07:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

When I came off it (now back on it tho) I had to go cold turkey and endure 10 days of feeling really awful...just lowering my dose triggered the withdrawal symptoms so I wanted to get it over and done with!

Re: celexa and IBS new
      #179427 - 05/16/05 05:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I don't take Celexa (I take buspar). Does it have any trigger ingredients? (i.e. lactose, sorbitol) A few of my meds. do.
I wonder if ad's cause tooth grinding. Last year I had a device made by my dentist to stop the habit. Those devices are lifesavers--no more headaches/neck and jaw pain. Seriously, consider an anti-bursistis device. IT IS WORTH IT.

#179485 - 05/16/05 09:07 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

Some ADs DO cause tooth grinding or jaw clenching. When I was on Lexapro, I had major problems with jaw clenching. I wouldn't actually grind my teeth, but my jaws would clench to the point that at times I almost couldn't unclench them...I would wake up in the morning with jaw pain & headaches from clenching my teeth all night. Now, I do occasionally clench my jaws normally from stress, from this REALLY increased it. I think you just need to experiment & find out what works best for you. DO talk to your dr about it, because it is a somewhat common side effect. (I believe it's called 'bruxism'.) Finally, something I CAN speak knowledgeably on....AD's, side effects of AD's, stress...LOL)
Once I got off the Lexapro, it got much better. Now I only have my normal 'stressed out' jaw clenching.

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

#179566 - 05/17/05 09:44 AM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Yeah, Celexa can cause tooth grinding and jaw clenching. It's not really common though. Funny though because from the research I did, it said buspar is used to deal with that side effect. I didn't want to take another med though. I was feeling so awful that I started taking 1/4 of my celexa dose so I could wean myself more easily. I don't think celexa has helped the ibs at all. Thanks for your response.

I am going off Celexa right now... new
      #183995 - 06/06/05 01:08 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

And it is so totally awful!
I am dizzy and tired and emotional and weepy and having terrible nightmares - I can't wait for this to be over!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#184029 - 06/06/05 02:18 PM
zile04

Reged: 06/06/05

I have been on celexa for about 4 years. I also clench my teeth at times but did not realize that it was due to the celexa. The timing of when it started is about right though. I have wanted to get off the med but I am really nervous about doing that as I feel so dependent on it. My doc has tried other meds but they don't work as well. Celexa has really helped with my anxiety that brings on my IBS. In general celexa has done a lot for me to help me feel better. I know that you do have to get off of it very slowly and it is a process. Not a fun one, I tried once but went running back.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4077 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1682

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review