All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
something crappy--a little gross but....
      #178920 - 05/13/05 10:20 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i know this is a tired-and-true question but i have been having some really really bad C and TONS of horrible gas. bloating hasnt really been the problem--just the gas and C. i noticed more C after i started my 2nd acacia bag, and since then ive become a little lazy with my scheduled acacia tea-times. my stool [and im sorry if this is really gross or T.M.I. buuuuutt] is very minimal, when i *do* have a BM and ive noticed its also changed color from a normal dk.brown to more of a mahogany [sorry ] since i had to use a laxative last week, ive had some really bad-smelling gas. even if i let a tiny out, it fills the room! this particularly sucks b/c the more i hold it in, the worse it gets--thus, the worse the smell. im trying to keep on schedule w/my acacia, SFS, my new miralax and balancing those out between my new fiber bars. if i get too much fiber i cant go either--for some reason. and since theres 14 grams in the bars, if imix that with acacia, i can easily OD. i asked my DOC about magnesium and psyllium and am veering away from the first but is there something else i could try? maybe some wierd freaky remedy?? i read an old post about GRANNY SMITH APPLE JUICE but am scared i will prepare the juice wrong and it will not work. any suggestions are welcome!! thanks you guys! *HUGS*

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I've seen where many "C" people have reported.. new
      #178952 - 05/14/05 07:36 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

that Acacia seems to make them more constipated and "windy". Personally, I would think maybe you might try another type of SFS like psylium. Or even do 1/2 acacia and 1/2 psylium. You might take the psylium at night so that your bloating occurs during your sleep. Many C folks seem to need a dose of an insoluble fiber supplement to help push things out.

Did you see this recent thread web page I'm wondering why you don't want to take a magnesium supplement? It is very safe to take magnesium supplements. Many of us do. It is safe and good for us C folks. I personally take magnesium glyconate and magnesium malate everyday as I have read where these are the best absorbed type of magnesium.

It also sounds like you are ODing on fiber and supplements! Wow, with acacia, miralax, 14 gram fiber bars, you may be clogging yourself up, girl! You would need to drink an awful lot of water to get all that stuff moving through you. It may be just sitting inside of you like a clogged sink. And this is probably not making the gas any better. How much acacia are you taking?

Oh, one more post you may find interesting. web page
Do you have a juicer at home already? This recipe for granny smith apple juice seems pretty easy. Just core the apples and put them through the juicer. That's it. Don't think you can mess it up! You can peel the apple too if you want. I don't know if it would make a difference for the BM effect. Maybe someone else might know that has tried it?

If you find anything that helps, please post it. I am struggling myself with this same situation. Also, Renewlife makes a fiber supplement that is 1/2 SF and 1/2 insoluble fiber, which may help you more than straight SF??? Or maybe try flax seed meal? I'm just throwing out suggestions. I have no idea if any of these would work. Maybe a more knowledgeable C person could help you. I'm still in your situation. Very constipated and gassy. But I have not tried any of these methods yet except for taking magnesium and the flax. SFS make me more bloated, gassy, and don't even help with the BMs. That's why I'm suggesting maybe you need to try a SF that has a little more IF added to it. I might try that too.

When I get absolutely desperate, I take some mineral oil or Casacara. Not often, mind you. Just when I can't take it anymore. And I've recently begun drinking licorice tea. But don't know if that is safe either. But nothing else has worked. I just read in a herbal book where licorice tea is good for BMs but that it can cause bloating.

I don't have any answers, just throwing out some options. Maybe you can't "handle" any SFS??? There are also a lot of people on the boards who have not been helped by any soluble fiber supplement (and in fact, had worse symptoms) so they just rely on diet.

Let me know if you find an answer. I would love to know how to manage my C and gas!

Re: something crappy--a little gross but.... new
      #178969 - 05/14/05 08:56 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

The green apple remedy really does work. I've done it. First thing in the am on an empty tummy. It's a REALLY good cleanser. I'm IBS D, but sometimes I get on one of those internal hygeine kicks and do a fresh juicing fast to try and hyper-alkalize my system. This is gross, but I like the green apple mixed with fresh beet and celery and wheatgrass. But green apple is all it takes.

Do you need to peel the apples? new
      #178970 - 05/14/05 09:03 AM
Cyndy

Will's recipe doesn't specify whether the apples should be peeled or unpeeled. I am definitely getting a juicer! I'll add it to my growing appliance list which now includes a food processor for all Wind's wonderful concoctions.

BTW, do you have a big processor or a mini? Any suggestions on brand names?

Re: Do you need to peel the apples? new
      #178981 - 05/14/05 09:51 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It depends on your juicer. Also, be sure your green apples are organic especially if your juicer doesn't specify re: peeling. Just seed it and follow the specifics of your juicer.

Re: food processors. Just your standard average sized food processor will do. Black and Decker or whatever! (Unless you're opening up an IBS restaurant!)

Have fun. It really is a lot of fun. I'd still be on a "concentration camp" diet without my toys, quite likely. (i.e. rice and water) I encourage you to choose organic produce if it is within your means to do so. It makes a huge difference.

#178984 - 05/14/05 09:57 AM
Cyndy

Okay. I just thought the peeled might be safer but the unpeeled might be more efective. Didn't realize it depended on the juicer. What brand juicer do you have? One that requires peeling? Maybe I should post this is the recipe exchange. Didn't mean to overtake poor Little Bear's post. Sorry, Litte Bear. Please forgive me!

OO yum! new
      #179026 - 05/14/05 03:06 PM
little bear

actually that sounds really good! id love to get into all those kinds of things but its hard to have them constantly at my fingertips. so far im doing pretty well making smoothies using froz.berries and FF vanilla soy.

so the apple juice really works?? i feel like im at the end of my rope and that im the one-of-a-kind IBSer in which nothing works for me. i would *so* love to be C-free *dreams about it* sooo you juice 4 peeled granny apples and pop them in the juicer? 3X a day?? how many days would you need to keep this up for? i just really need to get things moving in there. thanks for the tips! im gonna try soon when i go shopping next!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

#179027 - 05/14/05 03:13 PM
little bear

HEY!
ironically enough i was able to find Wills orginal post about the green-apple juice!! heres the link to Wills orig.post im not sure if the apples should be peeled or not but if youre sensitive to skins, go with the peeling--you can read thru the thread and see b/c i remember reading about the peeling, and i think it works either way. im not very knowledged in the coming of new appliances so im not sure what brands to recommend. maybe go to bed,bath and beyonds website?? see what kinds they have??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

glad to hear this! new
      #179028 - 05/14/05 03:15 PM
little bear

right on sister!! organic produce all the way!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

its all good! new
      #179029 - 05/14/05 03:16 PM
little bear

aw hey, dont even worry about it! glad to read thru all of the feedback!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 703 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2372

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review