All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Afraid to Post
      #178497 - 05/12/05 10:01 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I just wanted to say that with all the recent events, many of us, myself included, are afraid to post any questions for fear that we are going to be yelled at for not doing a search first. I'm not sure what the big deal is - if it annoys you, can't you just ignore the post? I know that often times when I do a search I get WAY too many results and after combing through them I find that my question wasn't answered exactly. Or maybe the answer could be outdated...

I just think that we should all be more tolerant of others asking questions on these boards. That's what they are here for, right?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Afraid to Post new
      #178498 - 05/12/05 10:21 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi! I don't think anybody is rude to ask you to do a search. One thing that happens is that people tend to ask the same questions over and over and over again. I think it's perfectly ok to politely ask that people put in a little effort and see if that question has already been answered. If it hasn't, or if all of the info you need isn't there, it shouldn't be a problem to post your need for more specific information. I'm sure this is why Heather pays for the storage of all of the old threads!

Heather actually encourages this herself new
      #178502 - 05/12/05 10:35 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I read her initial message for new posters (here is a link) web page And in her first paragraph she explains why it is so important to use the search. Here is another more recent post by her. web page

I think this might help explain the boards a little more. I'm new, and find the search button very helpful!

Re: Heather actually encourages this herself new
      #178506 - 05/12/05 10:44 AM
MCV

Quote:

I read her initial message for new posters (here is a link) web page And in her first paragraph she explains why it is so important to use the search. Here is another more recent post by her. web page

I think this might help explain the boards a little more. I'm new, and find the search button very helpful!

I think I may not have explained myself clearly. I do use the search option all the time. But there have been a few instances where after conducting a search I still have a question. So I post that question and the immediate response has been, do a search. I completely understand why everyone gets annoyed when the same person posts the same question over and over again - that is not what I am referring to. All I am saying is that I am hesitant to post any questions now because I'm nervous that I may ask something that has already been discussed and that everyone will "revolt" against me. I have trouble narrowing down my searches enough to find exactly what I am looking for without having to read through hours and hours of posts.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#178507 - 05/12/05 10:46 AM
chinagrl

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Why don't you just write, "I did a search and didn't find the answer" and cut those people off at the pass?

The problem is, if you tell everyone to just ignore posts that repeat questions they *know* have been answered, they just start ignoring this whole board. Then we get people in the living room grumbling about everyone ignoring the Diet for IBS board! It's a lose-lose situation.

Ask Away! new
      #178509 - 05/12/05 10:48 AM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Personally I wouldn't worry that much about it. You sound very considerate and I think that's all they're really asking. You've done your due diligence in searching so ask away!

And if someone has a problem with it... well that's their problem not yours.

If it really concerns you then you could always add in your post that you searched and couldn't find an answer to your specific question.

HTH,
Mike

Re: Ask Away! new
      #178510 - 05/12/05 10:51 AM
chinagrl

Hey man- I said that first! No fair stealing my ideas!! Just kidding. Yeah, obviously I totally agree with what you said.

#178512 - 05/12/05 10:52 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Why don't you just write, "I did a search and didn't find the answer" and cut those people off at the pass? PERFECT solution.... this will work Ask away sweetie!!

The problem is, if you tell everyone to just ignore posts that repeat questions they *know* have been answered, they just start ignoring this whole board. Then we get people in the living room grumbling about everyone ignoring the Diet for IBS board! It's a lose-lose situation.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Thank you new
      #178514 - 05/12/05 10:58 AM
MCV

I feel a little better now. I really just don't want to tick anyone off. It seems like a lot of people are a little on edge lately. These boards have been my second home since I was diagnosed and I want to make sure that I get as much from them as I can.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Thank you new
      #178515 - 05/12/05 10:58 AM
chinagrl

I agree, the boards have been on edge lately. But I wouldn't worry about it, it's summer and the warm weather should mellow everybody out (I hope).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3829

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review