All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Spices
      #178460 - 05/12/05 07:24 AM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

Is there a list of spices that tell you what is ok and what isnt? Or all of them basically ok?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spices new
      #178463 - 05/12/05 07:41 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

All of them are basically OK. Spice up your life! Unless you have GERD or are sensitive to particularly spicy foods. Start slowly and see how you do. Add a bit at a time, and season to taste. Spices are a great way to add flavour to your cooking. Don't be afraid to add chicken broth powder (OXO) or vegetable broth powder to cooking as well to add flavour. They are totally safe. Take it easy in the beginning, add small amounts, but you should be just fine.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#178474 - 05/12/05 08:13 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Spices, HERBS add MUCHO flavour and nutrition. Trust me, you won't miss fat if you infuse your food with herbs and spices!
Just be careful if you have GERD, as Han Solo mentioned. Sometimes I think we half eat with our noses!

#178493 - 05/12/05 09:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'd be lost without spices. My only warning is to watch out for MSG. It's a GI irritant for a lot of people and spice blends sometimes contain it. Other than that, just enjoy!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Some Possible Cautions! new
      #178494 - 05/12/05 09:12 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I believe spices containing peppercum (can't recall the exact name, but Heather mentions it in her books) can be problematic. This would include things like pepper and (I believe) paprika.

Most other herbs and spices should be fine, but you would have to try them and see how you feel because each person is different.

Personally, I get IBS attacks from oregano and Italian herb seasoning. I also had a terrible attack recently from dill.

So there may be some trial and error involved in figuring out which spices will be okay for you.

Paprika? new
      #178505 - 05/12/05 10:42 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I use this quite frequently! Does Heather say this is a problematic spice for some of us?

Re: Paprika? new
      #178513 - 05/12/05 10:55 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I use this quite frequently! Does Heather say this is a problematic spice for some of us?

Not that I'm aware of... I use it all the time too....but some MIGHT be sensitive to it... we are all different. If it does not bother you, then don't worry about it. If you notice you are having attacks after using it, then try the same dish without it and see what happens......

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

What is considered an "attack" new
      #178517 - 05/12/05 11:07 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

How do I know if a food is a problem? What kind of attack would I get? I don't get diarrhea, just constipation and pain and this is pretty much all the time. So how would I know if a particular food is the problem?

Oregano and Italian seasoning get me too!!!! new
      #178519 - 05/12/05 11:11 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

NOT kidding, it took me forever to put it together, but they kill me... horrible bloating and cramping... why is that????

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Oregano and Italian seasoning get me too!!!! new
      #178521 - 05/12/05 11:19 AM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Very interesting. I put a lot of different spices on the different foods that I eat, but one time after eating some chicken that had "Italian Seasoning" I got really sick. I'm curious as to what the common problem might be with this.

Re: Some Possible Cautions! new
      #178548 - 05/12/05 12:46 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

That's creepy re: Italian seasoning/oregano. I won't touch either with a ten foot pole. Oregano is one thing I don't even bother growing because it hyper-stimulates my g.i. tract.
I haven't used pepper or curry in years. Cumin is another one that really negatively effects me.

oregano kills me... new
      #178554 - 05/12/05 01:05 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

has since long pre IBS days- but I had never put the 2 together... it makes me nauseaus and gives me gas both!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#178578 - 05/12/05 03:59 PM
jhoffa1986

Reged: 05/09/05

Do those spices which contain MSG list this in the ingredients, how can I tell if it has it?

I use spieces all the time, would things like taco seasonings be a problem?
I would be interested to know if garlic powder, soy sauce, organo, A1, oyster sauce, can cause me to be bloated.

#178611 - 05/12/05 05:38 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I can't tell you specifically about bloating - that's not a problem for me - but here's what I know about your questions with regard to IBS generally.

Yes, spices that have MSG - anything that has MSG - will list it. Sometimes it's spelled out as "monosodium glutamate" (I think that's how it's spelled - it's pretty close, anyhow).

Taco and fajita seasonings - The ones sold as spices in the spice racks are probably okay, but double check for MSG and any dairy derivatives. As for the ones in pouches, like Old El Paso and so on, I had to go through every single brand at my grocer's to find one without either MSG or whey (a dairy derivative). I finally ended up finding a fajita seasoning by Ortega (I think it was).

Garlic powder and oregano are just pure spice, so unless you have an idiosyncratic reaction to them you should be fine. Soy sauce, A1, and oyster sauce are mixtures, so it depends what's in them. Again, the culprits to check for are MSG and dairy derivatives - and possibly HFCS.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

No Curry For Me Either! new
      #178743 - 05/13/05 07:58 AM
belinda

Sorry! I should have mentioned I can't tolerate curry powder and spicy spices like cumin either! I also can't have chili powder. I guess I've avoided these for so many years that it's second nature now and I forgot to mention them!

Ooops! I meant "capsicum"! new
      #178753 - 05/13/05 08:29 AM
belinda

Ooops! I knew I had it wrong! "Peppercom" doesn't exist in the English language!

The word I meant to use was "capsicum." I think I read in one or both of Heather's books that spices containing capsicum can be problematic for IBS. I think Heather listed Paprika as a capsicum spice that might need to be avoided.

I'm not an expert on this so perhaps someone else knows more about what Heather has said about capsicum spices.

Like you, I can tolerate paprika although I haven't used it in awhile. I used to put it on my chicken and turkey when I was roasting, but now I have replaced paprika with rosemary when roasting. I much prefer the flavour of rosemary.

An Attack new
      #178761 - 05/13/05 08:47 AM
belinda

If you are feeling fine -- in other words, you are having no diarrhea (D) or constipation (C) and no pain or inflammation, etc, then you would probably be considered to be stable and okay.

However, if you suddenly get D or C and/or pain or other related symptoms, you would probably be considered to be having an IBS attack.

In your case, you sound as though you are having one long continuous IBS attack since you say you pretty much always have C and pain.

I hope you manage to get stable very soon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1036 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3540

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review