All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Drinks
      #178270 - 05/11/05 10:44 AM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

Are there better options for drinks besides water? I drink lots of gatorade but is that ok? Can we drink stuff like grape and apple juice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Drinks new
      #178274 - 05/11/05 10:47 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I think gatorade has HFCS in it.
Some people can toerate it, others can't.
I drink apple juice and don't seem to have a problem with it either.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#178279 - 05/11/05 10:50 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Unfortunatelty you will find that decaf tea and water will be the basis for your drinks. Grape juice brings on attacks of D for me. Apple juice I can tolerate. check ingredients on Gatorage for HFCS.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#178280 - 05/11/05 10:50 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

A lot of people cannot tolerate apple juice, it brings on D attacks for them. I personally have no problems with it.
A lot of juice drinks in the US have HFCS.
Your best bets are teas and waters, there are I believe some flavoured iceteas (in Starbucks for example) that are OK.

As a rule, juice on an empty tummy is not a good idea, I cannot tolerate orange juice until after breakfast. If something doesn't affect you go for it, I am good with apple and pineapple juice after toast or food.

--------------------
S.

#178286 - 05/11/05 11:02 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Gatorade does not contain HFCS.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#178290 - 05/11/05 11:16 AM
melissam

Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Just read the ingredients labels. That's all. Watch out for HFCS because it can cause SOME people problems...

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

I don't have a bottle of Gatorade in front of me, but ... new
      #178294 - 05/11/05 11:34 AM
Sand

Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

when I was doing research on the difference between HFCS and Glucose-Fructose Syrup, I thought I read that Gatorade did contain Glucose-Fructose Syrup. I don't think we ever resolved once and for all whether they were the same thing.

I didn't find anything definitive using Google. The best I could find was some set of trade rules that specified any syrup containing more than 5% fructose must be called either "fructose-glucose" or "glucose-fructose", depending on the relative percentages of the 2 ingredients. (Not sure if these were proposed or actual or even whether they were for stuff coming into or going out of the US.)

Does anybody know for sure whether Gatorade does contain Glucose-Fructose Syrup and/or whether that's the same as HFCS? (I should have taken chemistry in college - if only I'd known I was going to get IBS. )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#178306 - 05/11/05 12:10 PM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I can tolerate Gatorade somewhat, but only in small quantities and never on an empty stomach. I do keep some in my kitchen at all times, however, for those days when I get sick of water and tea and need something "different."

Kristine

Re: I don't have a bottle of Gatorade in front of me, but ... new
      #178312 - 05/11/05 12:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

yes glucose-fructose syrup is an ingredient IIRC. If it is the same as HFCS then why isn't it called that? and where does the glucose come from if it is the same?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I don't have a bottle of Gatorade in front of me, but ... new
      #178319 - 05/11/05 01:07 PM
Sand

I don't know why glucose-fructose syrup wouldn't be called HFCS if they are the same thing. This originally came up - at least the first time I saw it - in a post about European rice krispies. At the time, the thinking seemed to be that glucose-fructose syrup might be a European name for HFCS or something as bad as it. Once I saw it was in Gatorade, I didn't know what to think so I'm seeking enlightment from the wizards of the Boards.

HFCS is 55 percent fructose and 45 percent glucose, according to an article in Heather's Research Library, which is part of what made me wonder if glucose-fructose syrup is similar to HFCS.

Quote:

is an ingredient IIRC

I don't know what IIRC means and I couldn't find it in the acronym list. Sorry - clarify?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

it means if I remember (recall) correctly -nt new
      #178351 - 05/11/05 04:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#178374 - 05/11/05 07:26 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

You might also try Oceanspray cranberry juice. I don't have any problems with the light kind (though it has fructose and splenda in it - is that bad?)

fructose and splenda new
      #178375 - 05/11/05 07:31 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

are both bad for IBS. Some people can handle fructose in fruits, but added to items, it's a killer.

And all artificial sweetners are horrible for IBS too, including splenda (sucralose).

I would certainly avoid this drink with two highly trigger ingredients.

Re: Drinks Canadians Fruite Light!!!! new
      #178379 - 05/11/05 07:41 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I drink low acid apple juice and still dilute it with water and never on an empty stomach. I also drink cran rasp juice diluted.
Here in Canada they just came out with Fruite Light flavoured water beverage with pure fruit juice. It has 50% less calories and sugar and is SUCRALOSE FREE. The flavour I have is basically filtered water, sugar, concentrated apple juice, natural flavour and colour (just a bit it is pretty clear)

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Thanks. -nt- new
      #178388 - 05/11/05 08:34 PM
Sand

--------------------

#178422 - 05/12/05 05:29 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I know it's not exactly grown-up or terribly healthy, but good old cherry Kool Aid doesn't hurt me.

That's great to know - I love KoolAid! I just wish they still made RootBeer flavor. -nt- new
      #178476 - 05/12/05 08:15 AM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2088

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review